Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
INFPs, what is your relationship with sports, and furthermore, with regular exercise? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Could you care less? And do you find physical skills come natural to you? Are you talented at physical endeavors (and if so, which ones)? Or are they more difficult than intellectual/emotional/spiritual pursuits?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yes yes yes, I loooove sports. Without them I'd probably feel titchy and on edge all the time. I've been involved in swimming, cross country, ball hockey, softball, and volleyball throughout school. Currently I'm on the varsity volleyball team and next season I'll be doing softball.

I suppose sports are a good way to vent... not by taking it out on the other team or your own, just the activity. Plus exercise releases endorphins. I actually enjoy ball hockey which is very much a contact sport... The only sport I really detest playing is basketball because it gets me so worked up and I lose my temper rather easily :p

I'd say sports come naturally to me. They're easier than intellectual, emotional, and spiritual pursuits, but I greatly enjoy all of those as well. In fact, those are pretty much my life. :p I love to learn and understand things and I'm a spiritual person, so :)

·
Registered
615 Posts
I love to run, and bike, because it's SO relaxing. :3
On competitive sports I suck, and I can't do anything in groups, lol.
However, I don't exercise very much unfortunately, since I spend more time on the computer...*logs off*

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Generally workout all the time, 5x a week. I have been slacking the past 2 weeks though -- haven't had as much sleep as I should.

Sports? I used to play a lot of ice hockey + lacrosse (Canadian :D). Now it's mostly soccer and tennis. <--- I think it's mainly because it's easy for girls I'm flirting with to pick up on quick.

Overall I can play and excel at virtually every sport, but I absolutely hate basketball with a passion.

·
Banned
1,238 Posts
* slices off the 3 vertical lines on the E* I love working out! I train with Firefighters and Navy personel a lot. We do a lot of pushups ,pullups,author and running. Not to brag or anything I can do 76 pushups in 2 minutes and almost 100 sit-ups in 2 minutes I can do 15 pull ups. My only problem is running I can only do 6:30 miles because I have leg problems

·
Registered
444 Posts
I highly enjoy exercise and sports. when I'm not injured I regularly play ultimate frisbee. I grew up on soccer and still love it. Sometimes I find it hard to wander to the gym. Especially when its "busy", but when I actually get myself there I always am glad I did.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hey I have to be the first exception here~
I used to play sports/exercise very rarely, but I begin to feel the effect of aging so I started running and doing exercises kinda regularly this year. I find myself enjoying "non-reactive" sports like jogging, swimming, yoga, etc.
I suck so bad at any type of ball games. Maybe some parts of my brain are defect that I can't predict the speed and direction of the ball flying toward me, or what angle and how much strength I should input to hitting the ball correctly. My "catch/hit" fuction is missing!

·
Registered
178 Posts
Yay, me too! However, I think I might be the exception about basketball, granted I do practice a lot on my own or with just one buddy to serve as a passer. I get really mad when it's super competitive. Then there happens to be blood and a lot of shoving/prodding with elbows and booties. :p

What else? The only way I get any decent sleep is if I've physically pushed myself earlier that day. I don't even really like to take the 7th day of every week off to rest my body. People think I'm crazy because I can be a live wire or zombie in the same hour.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
* slices off the 3 vertical lines on the E*
Ok, I'm sorry, I have to address this. XD They're horizontal lines, not vertical. My Te must be working when I say that. :tongue:

Moving onward, I myself find sports and exercise difficult. I always succeeded very well academically, but I've always had troubles with physical skills, even skills such as performing arts - dance, singing, etc. I'm not too great at. I've even had a hard time with running/jogging. I've always hated that. I'm a bit overweight now, but I even hated it when I was at a normal weight throughout my childhood. HOWEVER, I do enjoy some physical activity. I can't stand sitting around doing nothing physical all day. And I absolutely love adrenaline. The kinds of physical activities I like the most are ones that appeal to my senses the most, and yet take the least amount of skill (as someone mentioned, it could be a "defect" in the brain, perhaps some people are more adept at physical skills than others). For example, I love hiking, biking, go-karting, and certain rides in amusement parks (I love drops, and most roller coasters, but can't stand spinning, and although I realize that's not exercise, it's still sort of a physical activity). Most recently, I've gone ziplining. Loved it. I just sit back and zoom down a cable down a hill. Fantastic. I know this a bit off topic, but in relation to adrenaline, I'm planning to be in a bug-eating contest soon. :tongue: I'm only doing it because people have assured me it's safe though (I love adrenaline, but only when I'm certain it's safe. For example, I don't trust myself to go BMXing or mountain biking because my lack of physical skills may cause me to fall and seriously injure myself).

I guess to move this topic along, another question would be - How many of you INFPs are thrill seekers?

·
Registered
375 Posts
I love sports and exercising, but that doesn't mean I always feel like doing them. I enjoy the challenge of advancing my skills and making new personal bests. I've played tennis since I was 4. The most exciting thing to me in tennis, or football, or baseball, is to chase down balls that seem impossible to get to. My anticipation in tennis in reading a shot and getting to it is extremely acute, and my sprinting ability in getting to a ball is very strong. It's something I've developed over the years, and when a ball gets by me, I have intense motivation to improve. It's powerful.

In basketball, it seems magical to be able to shoot a ball from such distances and get it through the hoop so consistently. I like to meet the challenge of making difficult shots, or personal bests of 3 pointers in a row, and especially love to do tricks shots, like a half court shot from the knees, or behind the head, or from the opposite 3 point line. I tell myself, "If somewhere in my brain is the recognition of the body mechanics needed in any given situation to get the ball into the hoop, I want to tap into that every time. It's matter of consistent focus, and a trust in bodily intuition. I got 3 behind the head half courts shots in a row 2 weeks ago and really surprised myself. It makes me want to go out there and beat that. Actually, I'm going to play basketball right now :)

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Ew. I like martial arts/combat sports, but that's pretty much it.

Reactions: AllorNuthin

·
Registered
116 Posts
i enjoy playing just about any sport...

... my favorites are ping-pong and yoga...

·
Registered
771 Posts
i like yoga, dancing, walking or maybe swimming, pretty much it.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love outdoors sports like hiking, canoeing, cycling, and cross country skiiing. I've tried trail running and weight lifting but lack the motivation to keep up with them. I like to work out at home, but I can't stand to do it when my younger weight lifting brother is home because he is an extravert and likes to work out with me. I can't stand that. I need my privacy. I rarely do work out thought to be honest. I have been overwhelming my mind with questions though! So, in that way, I am working out something.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Aww, crap, I forgot I totally dig canoeing and kayaking and paddleboat-ing. (Does this mean I like watersports?! :shocked: )

·
Banned
2,025 Posts
This topic again? It's okay, because I like it. What I don't like are sports (assuming you mean doing, not watching) and exercise. I exercise regularly (at the gym) because it's important for physical and mental health and I hope against hope that it will make me look better. I've never particularly enjoyed it. It turns out I have impressive strength capacity, especially in my legs and core, but that does me no practical good. When walking reaches the point of obvious exertion, where I could call it exercise, my enjoyment rapidly disappears. Yoga - not consistently challenging and not interesting. Sports I haven't played for several years. Volleyball was fun at times and maybe never bad. Just about anything else produced extreme frustration some of the time, from not performing well or being treated as unwanted (or otherwise poorly) by other players. Ah, that wasn't an issue with swimming - I probably am naturally good at it, but without competition, it's so boring. I have done it a few times in the last few years, but only in recreational form.

Reactions: WyldFire777

·
Registered
122 Posts
I HATE organized sports like soccer (to hell with you americans, its called football and thats it), basketball and whatever.Hate hate hate them.

'Outdoor' sports (isn't football an outdoor sport, after all?) are okay. Not a fan, but they're fine.

Kung fu, though... Kung fu rocks.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
INFPs, what is your relationship with sports, and furthermore, with regular exercise? Do you love it? Do you hate it? Could you care less? And do you find physical skills come natural to you? Are you talented at physical endeavors (and if so, which ones)? Or are they more difficult than intellectual/emotional/spiritual pursuits?

I love sports, I played maybe 10-15 if not more. In fact I am just about to go jogging. But I do hate the idea of regular and I really really prefer if it's nature related, rather than indoor. For the rest of the questions I have to think a little harder and I am kind of late with no time. :happy:

Reactions: WyldFire777
1 - 20 of 23 Posts