Personality Cafe banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was curious how different types respond to injuries. I personally am more concerned about others' health then myself. In the case when I get injured I tend to soldier on until absolutely necessary; such is the case when I have injured my knee (on multiple occasions...unfortunately).

(Type:ENFJ)

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I've broken my finger once, and partially dislocated my shoulder about seven times. For my finger, I barely ended up going to the doctor, and when I did I came back to everything a little quicker than I should have. I haven't even had my shoulder properly looked at, but I don't really care either way. They'd either tell me that my shoulder is fine and I can continue on like normal, or they'd tell me that I need surgery, and that's not going to happen.

Funny enough, I'm a firm believer in people playing it safe when they're injured. I just can't live up to it when I'm the one who's hurt. Though it's good to see I'm not the only one!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it frustrating coming back from injuries and trying to get to 100% b/c I like to go full force. It's a struggle to slow it down and ease back into things, especially if you are involved in high functioning/intensity activities (e.g.:marital arts/running).

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
It depends on what the injury is. If it's an injury where I'll do more damage if I keep the activity, I'll lay off until it heals. Otherwise I'll just keep going through the pain. Either way it doesn't worry me much.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
Like the marines say: "Fuck it, shit happens, drive on." That's my attitude towards injuries. The only big thing that ever happened to me was a car accident where I got a herniated disk. I took a few days off, but my doctor and I agreed that time to heal was't necessary. I let my legs and lower back relax for a week or so, but I went hard on upper body in the meantime and slowly rebuilt the strength in my legs.

I let my calendar dictate what I do rather than how my body feels. If I've got the flu but my schedules says it's a run or a day of deadlifts, then that's what I'm doing. I can collapse on the floor when I'm done.

I think that's what separates the people that are serious about anything and the lay person. If someone let's their I-don't-wanna attitude dictate what they do, then they aren't very serious about what they do. If you're willing to risk your health and well being to continue doing whatever it is you want to do, the you're already a success story. That's applicable to all things.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Adequate rest is essential to the healing process of any injury. It allows the body to reconstruct. If your body is constantly under stress, it will never heal. I am living proof! Three years ago I injured my rotator cuff. I took a few months off to get it healthy enough to start lifting weights again. However it still bothers me no matter the amount of physical therapy exercises I do. Same with my elbow tendonitis. The pain and discomfort of both are managable, so I just push on with my normal workouts.

Working out with pain > Not working out at all!

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
I've had knee tendonitis, back spasms and rotator cuff issues. Had to do quite a few rehab exercises to keep them in check and eventually heal them, though my back still plays up a bit.

It doesn't help that I do lots of high impact landings and lift heavy weights which put a lot of strain on my body. But if I feel anything playing up, I tone it down for a bit.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I'm an all or nothing type person when it comes to sports/athletic endeavours. When I'm injured, I'll have to stop completely otherwise I'll just push through the pain and make it worse. Unfortunately, that also means that I'm usually out a bit longer because I'll got at 100% as soon as I'm healthy again. I have to make sure I'm completely healed before I start up again otherwise I'll just re-injure myself.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I was always the fat kid, so I hated being seen as the weak link. When a fat kid gets hurt, people see it as them being lazy and trying to get out of exercising or just being weak. For that reason, I always hid injuries in sports. Got a few pretty serious reamings from coaches when they found out. I'm 26 now and still haven't really grown out of that mentality. I don't hide it so much anymore, but I do try to work through it. My karate teacher encourages working through it. My Judo coaches ream me out when I'm playing with an injury and push it too far or don't step out when it starts hurting, though it depends on the injury. When I broke my toe they told me to tape it and keep going. When tweaked my shoulder they babied me for a month.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
When I was in high school I messed up my knee at dance and pushed through the pain for a year until it got so bad I couldn't even walk. I had some physical therapy during that time, but my doctor kept telling me physical therapy alone was not going to help it - they'd probably need to do surgery. I didn't want to do surgery because that meant I'd have to take time off dance. I ended up having surgery, because I didn't really have any other options, and by the time that took place I had shredded the meniscus beyond repair. They saved a tiny portion of it, but had to remove most of it. Essentially this meant that not only did I have to take time off dance for recovery, but I couldn't pursue dance at the level or intensity I had been before, because my knee is just not up to the constant impact and stresses anymore. :( Stupid, stupid, stupid.

So generally I just try to tough things out and ignore them. I recently had a pretty bad rollerblading incident like two miles from my parents' house and actually rollerbladed the whole way back after (by myself), whilst bleeding pretty substantially and with lotsa skin missing on both of my legs. I live my life as if I am invincible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts