Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
10,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any sports you like to observe and/or play? If so, how would you relate your joy of that particular sport to your inherent preferences as an INFJ? For example, say you like baseball. How would you say your joy of aspects of that game in particular appeals to your thinking processes as an INFJ? I hope this makes sense!

If you're another type visiting this thread, feel free to respond using your own corresponding cognitive preferences. If you don't know your type, feel free to introspect here and speculate :p

If you dislike sports, feel free to analyze in a similar fashion :p

·
Registered
4,108 Posts
I come from an athletic family. My ISFJ father promoted myself and my siblings to be athletic. My oldest sister held the record for most assists in basketball and most blocks in volleyball in our state at one time. I always was more of an artistic person, but I did pretty well at sports. I started on the seventh grade basketball team as a sixth grader. I was a guard and did very well at defense. We actually won regionals two years in a row. Later, I ditched sports to pursue acting and to focus more on my art.

I also have always loved swimming. I've never competed, though. I did, however run track. I ran the 4x 100, the 100 meter dash, and threw the shot put. I actually won several, but not much came of it.

I trained in gymnastics, but then I got too tall for the sport.

Now, that I'm done bragging about my past... I'd say out of it all, I still have a fondness for basketball. I'll still watch it here and there. I enjoy watching the Olympics too. There are some amazingly talented athletes.

Wait... I just realized you didn't ask about anything I said... Um, I really can't say how any of my sport likings have anything to do with being an INFJ. It has more to do with my competitive side as well as wanting to impress my father.

·
Registered
4,095 Posts
I love soccer. Played it in middle school and in a intramural league in college. I love it because its graceful and never stops moving. The players have real talent and its evident in every move they make. I can't stand baseball and football because of all the start and stopping. It sets my nerves on edge. With baseball, you have to keep watching so you don't miss something when it does happen, but 90% of the time, nothing is happening. And I'm sure football and baseball players are talented, but it's not as evident as you watch the game.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I like tennis I don't play it so much because I have to force myself to do sports. But I think I like tennis because when I play I don't have time to overthink anything and it forces me to be in the now and just hit the ball. I don't like watching sport - I think that is the most dull thing ever. I also like to swim, there is just something about water that speaks to me..

·
Sharp Cutting Thing
9,675 Posts
I never played a team sport growing up. It's probably my second biggest regret after not taking up an instrument.

But I like to watch football and baseball and to a lesser extent basketball and some other sports that I kind of know the rules to (like golf). Watching a game ignorant of its ground rules is an exercise in pointless boredom, but once you understand the structure of what's going on you can start to appreciate the soul of the game.

Take football, for example. It's infamous for its brutality, but it's one of the most strategic games out there. Every down, every play, is a match of wits between the offense -- its QB, linemen, and skill players, as well as their coordinator and head coach -- and the defense -- its front line and secondary as well as their coordinator and head coach. It's a complex and precise ballet of calling and communicating the play, a thing of beauty when properly executed or when the defense figures it out before the snap even happens. It's a game of strategic and athletic prowess!

Baseball is ultimately a very complex version of monkey-in-the-middle. You've got the pitcher and the catcher playing catch with one another while the hitter's trying to figure out what kind of ball the pitcher's pitching and where in the blink of an eye between when he releases it and when the ball reaches the plate. Baseball is fundamentally about the pitching duel, and while some of a game's great moments happen because the hitter has beat the pitcher and hit the ball out of the park, some of its great games have occurred when the pitcher has been able to absolutely dominate the hitters. 27 up, 27 down: that's the pitcher's dream. Everything else in the game -- fielding, small ball, baserunning -- is secondary to the meeting between pitcher and hitter, the moment of truth at the plate.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sports were always my escape where I gravitated to highly technical flow sports. I did well in team sports, but much preferred individual sports where I typically coached myself and practiced alone. I was a state champ in freestyle skateboarding as a kid, and all state track and field in HS/ NCAA Div 1 scholarship. After college I was a local pro motocrosser and snowboarder with some interesting hardware bolted to my bones to show for it. I've always been drawn to martial arts, and have taught Muay Thai and competed as a Master class practical pistol shooter.

Edit: I played team sports in an INFJ effort to fit in and be socially accepted. The individual sports were a natural fit for my introversion, and an outlet for my creativity. I exercised my Se in the flow nature of these sports. Being highly technical sports, Ni and Ti were explored from the self coaching angle. The martial arts and shooting sports are an extension of my protective nature and willingness to battle wolves with righteous indignation.

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
I've never really enjoyed playing sports, unless you consider billiards and bowling sports. I grew up playing pool and it's one of my favorite hobbies. I used to really enjoy watching billiards years ago, I had favorite players and everything and would get so excited watching it, but haven't seen it on in forever.

My only experience with team sports was in second grade with a recess kickball group. I stole a base and started a whole thing with everyone arguing that I couldn't do that, but I stood my ground and eventually was barred from kickball, ending my brief foray into kickball and team sports. :dry:

I enjoy watching football sometimes. I never care who wins or anything, football is just funny to watch for me. Each game is very different and there are usually very funny miscues that are entertaining, and I never really see that in other sports.

Baseball, basketball, and soccer are way too boring to me to watch. Basketball and soccer just seem too repetitive to me, I'm sure there's more than I realize, but to me it just's back and forth, back and forth, back and forth, same thing over and over. Every game seems identical. I also really enjoy watching curling during the winter Olympics and would like to try it out, I find it fascinating.

As far as how this fits into my thought process, I'm guessing maybe a lack of Se in not enjoying playing sports, but :idunno:

I think pool may be tied to Si for me, it's more about focusing on and remembering very minute details from (almost)every other game I've played.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Playing Football (Soccer for you americans :p ) for like 20 years now (im 26).

I love it.

Particularly because you have to work out a strategy in a very short amount of time in certain situations.

I also love to go jogging. It really feels like a relief when im jogging with my music on. An additional plus would be a rainy day.

1. i love love LOVE the rain. The feeling when the raindrops hit my face... i cant describe it : D its just awesome. It almost puts me in a trance like state when im also listening to some lofi hip hop music e.g.

2. Grey is my favourite color, so a rainy day comes very handy, it instantly puts me in a good mood, often melancholic but in a good way .

~Jekkt

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I would swim...
I stopped as I have justaccess to a public pool.

I used to play games with rackets like tennis and badminton.
It appeals to my inferior Se I think. The rhythm is very enjoyable
As is the hit of the ball, the smell, and the push from the net in the racket.
You have to act quick, think quick while having a plan (Ni)
And the plan is derived from watching the pattern of playing your opponent makes.

Playing is also from that pattern recognition. Over time you get the basic idea how to serve, how to hit hard etc
You can become creative with it after getting the big picture.

I do not like team sports really
With one on one sports or solitary sports (ie gymnastics ) you have more room to study to get the basic idea. It's more satisfying.
I don't think I could get to learn so much if I was in a team.

I'm recently quite attracted to gymnastics and track and field. But I haven't found a way yet to get myself involved in them, as one I'm not a teenager anymore.
Again both sports have a beautiful rhythm :tongue: I often play discus-throw at my job.

One thing I've strangely developed over the years is a very good aim
I imagine I might be good at shooting hoops, archery, darts :tongues:
It is definitely an internal bodily intelligence. I wonder how others would describe it as. It is just like driving a car. You're not using the left brain forthat.

·
Delphic Seer
18,076 Posts
As an INTJ, I feel attracted to physical activities which enhance my competitive spirit. They’re also useful for being in shape.

When I was in college, I used to play tennis. Later, I practiced karate. Nowadays, I’m into Krav Maga.

Last but certainly not least, does chess count as a sport? :kitteh: :laughing:

Reactions: Vivid Melody

·
Registered
9,774 Posts
ok well i ended up doings lots of sports growing up mainly with my brothers as well. My mom did gymnastics at a very high collegiate level (qualified to enter olympic trials when she picked it up in college) and my dad did college football and basedball. SO yeah sports growing up was a non-option (I actually think it did a lot good) ok now for a massive list XD

takewondo for a year (got to green belt-blue stripe) 2nd one to drop out had to start having super early classes in morning. not sure why i stopped.
was taught to swim very young and always had to do swim team growing up each summer. (was actually good at it and voluntarily did it in high school during the summer)
did gymnastics for several years and then stopped around 7th grade had lots of medals. Mainly stopped cause I was getting picked on a lot for doing it.
did basketkball camp every summer cause i could have fun with others and enjoyed the solo aspect of just shooting with others for fun. did a team game my 6th grade year and enjoyed it but then saw how the coaches were in 7th grade and didn't do it outside of intramural games. (the coaches weren't bad they were just intimidating to me)
learned to rollerblade as well in middle school and did so to get to and from school 5th and 6th grade.
did track out the blue in 7th grade and loved the techincal events. did the hurdles mainly and then some sprints and long jump.
High school picked up polevault for it and did lots of rellys later on along with hurdles. went to state 3 years in a row. (3yearas for 110 hurdles, jr year 300m hurdles jr/sr year for polevault, placed top 8 all 4 years in regionals for 110 hurdles. won 2nd at state in the 110 hurdles for 3A and 4th place polevault, for 1 week was top vaulter in the state \o/ ) then in college did the hurdles, polevault, javelon and decathalon. Loved the decathalon and javelon.
also started soccer in high school as well and enjoyed it ^^. tried out in college and didn't make it but enjoyed it none the less.
Also learned to ski in highschool at the 4H club.
also was taught dancing and sr year in high school did cheerleading in the winter season. (yay for tumbling again)

Still enjoy swimming these days and want to get out and do more swimming, kyaking, surfing, started to teach myself iceskating 2 years ago.

ok so lots of rambling. (and bragging :blushed:) err anyways i loved the individualistic aspects of the teams and constantly being in motion. But i've always had a side to me that always wants to win and do my best. First time i ever did a gynastics meet didn't place in any of the 6 events (ribbons out to 10th place?) crushed me and went and cried in the bathroom. So i worked to be better but always had fun in my practices. I lost a bit sense then but never felt bad because I knew I had done my best.

I enjoying practicing with groups and the comrade it brings but I also do love to just be able to focus on what i'm doing to help the team out. Also me and my 2 other brothers (im the oldest) were never ones to sit and watch we always had to get out and participate as kids especially sense my dad coached football at highschools until I got into highschool.

But I think i enjoyed it because i got to spend time with others having fun and have lots of good memories. Working with others all of us trying our best to win. I made lots of friends from sports as well even in other schools and would cheer on everyone to do well and their best.

I just enjoy seeing everyone working to succeed,meeting people helping each other out, the cheering, the raw emotions people express to each other. (olympics have a special place in my heart)

What I love the most about doing these sports is all of sudden I am just in the momment and their is nothing else. Their is no other thoughts, nothing else to do or focus on, just what's infront of me and my determination to succeed. I also love to have close competitions and rival pushing me to do better and better. It was never enough for me to win, it was never about winning, it was about doing better. It was about how much i could push myself to do the best I could (not how good i could place) I also enjoyed helping out my competitors and talking to them. Meeting new people as well. Most sports are actually fun and friendly. Sure theirs rivalry but there is respect in most of that rivalry as well.

quote i love "throw your heart over the bar and your body will follow"- trapezist

ok that's a huge wall of text. umm time to run away and reexamine if i'm actually a introvert. :bored:

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The word "sports" is kind of repulsive to me.
My ISTP father would listen to some football/whatever game on t.v. so regularly, at the top of it's volume level... no one in the house could talk to each other, there was no reprieve, no where to hide!
Those sports announcers really stress me out. Like, could they ever take a deep breath and calm the heck down or just shut up for a sec? It's horrible.
I actually think I hate regular t.v. (I only watch streaming), I can't stand the endless & unpredictable noise (inf. Se perhaps?)

I also remember a lot of tripping over my own feet and fumbling the ball in gym class during elementary school. Including some incidents that made the gym teachers grill me if I was feeling okay and had I eaten that day, lol.

What I did always love was horse sports. Whether competing or watching, I liked that there was more complexity to it and experience required to follow what was happening.
I did some clogging (like tap dancing, with double metal taps on the shoe for a different sound, and different movement) when I was a kid... although our team didn't compete, just mostly did demos and charity entertainment at retirement homes.

Uhhh... oh, sometimes I like watching gymnastics. It's better in a movie, like the Gabby Douglas story... and hockey is better that way too.
I did watch one irl hockey game and I think I preferred that above any of the other typical sporting events. Still had no idea what they were doing, but it was pleasantly aggressive without anyone screaming their excitement into my eardrums.

Martial arts is always interesting, but it makes me frustrated I never learned any and I get irritated at all my hangups keeping me from trying.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I used to do athletics as a kid. I stopped that because I wanted to specialize in long-distance running and it wasn't an option at that time (had to do all of it or none of it). I stil run from time to time, but not competitively.

·
MOTM October 2013
6,445 Posts
Sports were never very interesting for me to watch, unless it was something like horse jumping or dog agility. Then I liked it mostly because of the animals. Don't think that one's related to cognitive functions.

I now do martial arts, but I'm not terribly interested in watching it. I'd rather be doing it (Se?). I am told my strengths are in my technique and speed, not so much stamina or strength. (Well, strength among other martial artists. Among normal people I am apparently above average in strength.) The style I do is also kung fu, with a lot of strange moves and a spiritual aspect; I don't think the more straight-forward styles would have kept me interested for nearly as long. I suppose that is Ti and Ni respectively? And while I don't have many chances to spar at length, what I have done intrigues me--I'm at the level there begins to be an intellectual component to it, where you can trick your opponent into lowering their guard or getting off balance with the right combination of moves. That pleases my Ti for sure.

I've always wanted to do gymnastics, but I'm not good at any kind of flippy things and never have been. Too much weight on me and haven't trained upper body strength, or so I am told. Maybe with practice...

Another I wouldn't mind getting into is track and field. My dad and uncle were close to being national champions at it, so I suppose I must have the body for it somewhere, yes? I enjoy running, can sometimes get a high off of it. In grade school I used to be one of the fastest sprinters--now, I'm not so sure!

·
Registered
17,819 Posts
I hate that modern politics and modern sports have intersected in an incredibly cancerous way which has take away any joy I used to have watching them. I haven't seen any of the american pro-leagues in several years and have no desire to do so anymore.

I do enjoy watching these videos every once in a while though:

It's something I would have definitely done in my teens if it was a thing back then and I had money lol.

Then there's diving without oxygen.

Humans exploring and becoming one with the madness that is this tiny blue rock in unconventional ways is my thing.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I loved all sport when I was very young and very fit, particularly martial arts, there seem to be a lot of INFJ martial artists.

Aikido was my favourite. I think martial arts is just that, “an art” its not about beating up people or scoring points or goals its more about individual personal development and I liked that

Today I can take it or leave it.

I do not enjoy watching any sport.

The obscene amounts of money mediocre sportsmen and women seem to get paid is one deciding factor.

I am thinking of UK football as an example.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
For the most part, not a huge sports person (upbringing + inferior Se, I suppose).

I do like baseball more than some, there is more of an interesting logical side to it than something such as football, the objective of which seems to be serious brain injury and trauma. Anyway.

I liked horseback riding to some degree. I guess it thrill my Se, and I sure loved galloping up trails and things! But at many occasions having to deal with another complex being as well as myself and be so athletic on top of it just wasn't my thing. I either like spending time with the horse or attempting to be athletic lol. On the other hand, when it went well and wasn't just too much of a sensory overload, there was hardly anything more fun!

I like running all right. It's nice when you can just forget about what you're doing and let your mind get lost and enjoy your surroundings. I really like hiking.

Oh and driving if that counts. Definitely an Se appealing thing!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts