Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about playing sports?

Someone asked me today if I liked sports and I responded with saying that I liked repetitive, meditative sports like running or swimming or hiking but not ones where a ball is thrown at my face and I'm expected to react to that.

What about spectator sports?

I don't enjoy watching sports but I like being in an audience that's enthusiastic. I personally don't understand the emotional investment in a team but it's fun being around people that get that worked up (for a short time, it can get overwhelming). I bet once on a golf tournament and it definitely improved my engagement, but otherwise I'm not a spectator sports fan.

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
There are a lot of sports that I love the idea of participating in, but that I haven't gotten around to yet :wink:

Except running, running is fun. Probably because I can do it while my mind's wandering instead of having to focus on "I'm doing this"

·
Registered
ENFP 6w7 694 I guess
1,540 Posts
I like sports that I can do by myself, like swimming, shooting hoops, walking/hiking, playing wall tennis, etc. I don't like team sports very much. Watching sports is one of the most boring things imaginable to me.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used to do figure skating and swimming (i still go swimming from time to time)
Other than that, I have no interest in most sports.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Participating? Nothing you'd call a 'sport'. I have zero interest in competing with others. As an activity, I like hiking and walking for exercise, or to relax. Watching? Only ones that almost qualify as performances, like ice skating. Hand-eye coordination sucks, so that leaves any sports with throwing, catching and hitting out. That's most of them.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
I don't mind participating in individual sports, although, I dislike participating in team sports because they rely on the skills of multiple individuals rather than solely my own.

Competitive bodybuilding is the only 'sport' that I practice and watch.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I enjoy walking and running if I just want my mind to wander. If I want to clear my mind then I like to do something that requires my complete attention like yoga or softball.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I participate in zero sports although when the children get older we intend to start walking again.

I enjoy watching cricket as it's very tactical and is interesting to figure out what to do, when to declare and suchlike. It's actually pretty fascinating as sports go. I also enjoy horse racing, the betting is again interesting and using patterns to figure out winners. I actually made a healthy profit in my school days selling tips to teachers (in the 80's an awful lot of british teachers were unrepentant gamblers).

Team games, I support my local football (soccer to you americans) team as its a lesson in patience and family loyalty (my grandad used to play for the reserves just before the 2nd World War) but participating? Nope, nope, nope!

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I like to play table tennis. I get competitive and shit.
I do like swimming but just for fun.
I do like basketball but more like the physics of it. I enjoy playing by myself, when thrown on a court with bunch of dudes I get bored.

Too passive to play much though.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I want to play soccer but can't.
I also like pro wrestling (if this counts as a sport) because most likely it doesn't do any real damage (but still dangerous), it's just being creative to please the fans.
For my current physical ability? I'm into running so I can think. :p

·
Registered
8,254 Posts
Watching sports is like watching paint dry, except without the benefit of getting high off the fumes.
This. And somehow, watching a specific sport (And ritualistically for some people) which requires paying money to sit in a stadium with thousands of other people for hours, or sit at home in front of a tv passively watching people play a sport. Whatever floats your goat.

But let someone who enjoys computer work / relaxing at home, is somehow 'missing out on life' and unproductive. Other people and their hypocrisy really do make me face palm hard enough to leave a mark on my face sometimes.

Personally, I enjoy Badminton / Tennis / Kickboxing / Boxing.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I like playing tennis. I showed up for my school's football practice once and now I'm committed. I do enjoy weightlifting by itself too. As for watching I enjoy fighting stuff like UFC because of the violence.

·
Registered
596 Posts
i lift, that's about it

1 - 20 of 22 Posts