Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is: How do you visually spot ASPD(Anti-social Personality Disorder) spectrum/Sociopaths and Psychopaths? What answers to questions do they typically give? What questions could reveal ASPD?

I'm interested in hearing from 1) people who actually know someone with this condition very well, 2) from psychologists/psychiatrists who studied up on the subject, and 3) from ASPD Sociopaths and Psychopaths who know that they have this condition.

I'm also interested in visual ways of spotting Narcissistic Disorder or Megalomania (altho these are usually pretty easy to spot anyway) in case someone has extra insight into this condition.

- This thread is not intended on villainize any mental condition. Its purpose if for better understanding and better communication, as well as more awareness. I encourage everyone posting to remain respectful to eachother no matter what mental conditions anyone has.

·
Registered
428 Posts
There is no visual indication at face value, however if you engaged with them, a mixture of body language, vernacular, and attitude could indicate some of that.

But ultimately, even then, you could not tell. People are all different, different parts of countries have different ways of communicating, and different countries have different cultural values. People are all different, and if someone is just having a bad day, you would never know. If someone isn't a big "talker", if they are avoidant, if they are nervous, if they feel some kind of anxiety, if they are depressed, whatever the case may be, you cannot assume that someone is suffering from a mental condition, nor can you legally diagnose them.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
My question is: How do you visually spot ASPD(Anti-social Personality Disorder) spectrum/Sociopaths and Psychopaths?
It's extremely easy cause they usually wear a shirt like this:

Also have a psychopathy look, like this guy, and walk around with a chainsaw.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I should probably have mentioned that body language and micro expressions are visual things to read, but I guess I thought that was obvious..

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Joking aside, this is something I'm also very interested in. Some of them are extremely skilled at self presentation and unless you live with them and see them in all situations, especially ones they're unprepared for, and get to hear things from their friends and family, it would be quite difficult to learn about them. Some of them are pretty smart, they're up there as CEOs, as politicians, because they learn how to behave "normally" and so are experts at hiding their true selves and blending in.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I should probably have mentioned that body language and micro expressions are visual things to read, but I guess I thought that was obvious..
Well, the first thing we need to define is the definition of psychopath, sociopath, and anti-social.
Psycho comes from latin, and means "of, or relating to the mind, mental activities." -Pathos is a greek root meaning "The suffering to" coming from the word Paskhein
Psychopath can be translated to: The suffering of the mental activities.
Socio- means "Denoting social or society"
Sociopath can be translated to: The suffering from denoting socially or in society.
Social means "of or relating to society or its organization." and Anti- means "opposed to, or against"
Anti-social can mean: Opposed to society and it's organization.

Starting with Sociopath and Anti-social, both of these can mean that the individual believes strongly in a revolution and revolt against the society values. So, in today's day and age, that can be anyone who speaks out about capitalism, or anyone who is anarchistic. If the person has strong anti-political views, they can ultimately be viewed as a sociopath or anti-social.

Then there's psychopaths, which could be viewed as "anyone who does not understand the mental activities of others" those people who feel "different". Ultimately, for the sake of discussion, this thread is "psychopathic", because it is pushing a general statement to try to spot those who are "suffering from, socio or psycho". It is showing that you do not fully understand the meanings and are viewing them as society would view them, but cannot view them the way society would not view them. By definition, I am a sociopath, because I have trouble with society's Egocentrism, but on the same level, I can view society as psychopathic because they do not see my view. Capeche?

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joking aside, this is something I'm also very interested in. Some of them are extremely skilled at self presentation and unless you live with them and see them in all situations, especially ones they're unprepared for, and get to hear things from their friends and family, it would be quite difficult to learn about them. Some of them are pretty smart, they're up there as CEOs, as politicians, because they learn how to behave "normally" and so are experts at hiding their true selves and blending in.
Indeed. Still, some individuals can spot them within minutes, if not seconds of being in their company. One of these people I have spoken to is in the ASPD spectrum (pretty low on the scale tho, but it was properly diagnosed), and he mentioned it being in their behaviour, but he also mentioned the eyes...something about the eyes! This may point to micro expressions and body language.

Another thing tho, they use a questionnaire to properly diagnose someone with ASPD, so certain questions must be particularly effective at working this out. Maybe a set of a few question would be enough? I would love to know more about this questionnaire, and which questions are most important.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You do not.
The only way to reduce your likability of getting hit is by knowing yourself, your values, and asserting your boundaries.
Just becomes someone is ASPD doesn't mean they want to "hit".

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the first thing we need to define is the definition of psychopath, sociopath, and anti-social.
Psycho comes from latin, and means "of, or relating to the mind, mental activities." -Pathos is a greek root meaning "The suffering to" coming from the word Paskhein
Psychopath can be translated to: The suffering of the mental activities.
Socio- means "Denoting social or society"
Sociopath can be translated to: The suffering from denoting socially or in society.
Social means "of or relating to society or its organization." and Anti- means "opposed to, or against"
Anti-social can mean: Opposed to society and it's organization.

Starting with Sociopath and Anti-social, both of these can mean that the individual believes strongly in a revolution and revolt against the society values. So, in today's day and age, that can be anyone who speaks out about capitalism, or anyone who is anarchistic. If the person has strong anti-political views, they can ultimately be viewed as a sociopath or anti-social.

Then there's psychopaths, which could be viewed as "anyone who does not understand the mental activities of others" those people who feel "different". Ultimately, for the sake of discussion, this thread is "psychopathic", because it is pushing a general statement to try to spot those who are "suffering from, socio or psycho". It is showing that you do not fully understand the meanings and are viewing them as society would view them, but cannot view them the way society would not view them. By definition, I am a sociopath, because I have trouble with society's Egocentrism, but on the same level, I can view society as psychopathic because they do not see my view. Capeche?
That's a very broad view of the terminology. Terminology aside however, there is a specific spectrum disorder that is very real, and that is what this thread is discussing.

·
Registered
428 Posts
That's a very broad view of the terminology. Terminology aside however, there is a specific spectrum disorder that is very real, and that is what this thread is discussing.
The "terminology" is there because that's what it is. 1 in 25 people are sociopaths, 1 in 200 are psychopaths. If you work in a busy place that you see ~2000 people a day, you could see everywhere from 0-90 sociopaths, and 0-10 psychopaths everyday. So what are you talking about? Low functioning individuals?

Chances are you won't see them unless you work in the Government, Wall Street, or on any kind of executive board, or if you're in jail.

High functioning psychopaths and sociopaths pass by you everyday, and you won't know they are what they are unless you personally know them, because they are high functioning and appear to have it all together.

Or are you talking about something else? It helps if you clarify your intended discussions, and the specifics in the original post so that we do not have confusion.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I have NPD. I have told people about this diagnosis, and they often don't believe me, because I use my interest in people that comes from my interest in psychology to feign empathy generally well.

Like, I literally have had people say, "You can't be a narc, you're too nice/too good a listener!"

People are stupid and hilarious like that.

Reactions: Le9acyMuse

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have NPD. I have told people about this diagnosis, and they often don't believe me, because I use my interest in people that comes from my interest in psychology to feign empathy generally well.

Like, I literally have had people say, "You can't be a narc, you're too nice/too good a listener!"

People are stupid and hilarious like that.
I'm glad to have someone with NPD comment on this...Do you find it easy to spot others with your condition? Do you spot ASPD easily? Do you feel they are in some way similar? And any other comments you may have.

Just knowing that you have a condition is the first step towards progression. Do you see a therapist of any kind about NPD?

·
Registered
333 Posts
I'm glad to have someone with NPD comment on this...Do you find it easy to spot others with your condition? Do you spot ASPD easily? Do you feel they are in some way similar? And any other comments you may have.

Just knowing that you have a condition is the first step towards progression. Do you see a therapist of any kind about NPD?
I haven't met many others with the condition IRL. Most people I've met with PD's other than Boderline are from the internet. Hence, they tend to be more open about it.

I see a therapist, but we usually talk about school and work. Sometimes the weird dreams that I have. I have been through DBT a few times.

ASPD and NPD are similar, but ASPD generally involves more law-breaking behavior, while NPD is more Machiavellian and subtly manipulating, generally within the confines of the law. People with NPD care about the social implications of their actions, and how their actions will affect their social standing. ASPD? They don't give a shit. That's the general difference.

Reactions: imaPanda

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't met many others with the condition IRL. Most people I've met with PD's other than Boderline are from the internet. Hence, they tend to be more open about it.

I see a therapist, but we usually talk about school and work. Sometimes the weird dreams that I have. I have been through DBT a few times.

ASPD and NPD are similar, but ASPD generally involves more law-breaking behavior, while NPD is more Machiavellian and subtly manipulating, generally within the confines of the law. People with NPD care about the social implications of their actions, and how their actions will affect their social standing. ASPD? They don't give a shit. That's the general difference.

Do you know ways in progressing out of NPD, or at least to control it? And are there things that others should do when they are in a relationship with someone with NPD (relationship of any kind)?

·
Registered
333 Posts
Do you know ways in progressing out of NPD, or at least to control it? And are there things that others should do when they are in a relationship with someone with NPD (relationship of any kind)?
I honestly think that the diagnosis is kind of pointless, but the best motivator for me to not mess things up is my own care for my social standing. I can't live a good life in prison. That would be dull. And if I do something socially unacceptable, then people will turn on me, so I have to either spin it in my favor, or do things covertly.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I honestly think that the diagnosis is kind of pointless, but the best motivator for me to not mess things up is my own care for my social standing. I can't live a good life in prison. That would be dull. And if I do something socially unacceptable, then people will turn on me, so I have to either spin it in my favor, or do things covertly.
But if you didn't know that you have it I think it would be more difficult to be aware of things you may be doing, or that you can get some help with progressing.
Also your friends and family knowing can help them to know what to expect, so when it happens it's not such a big deal for them...at least in theory.

·
Registered
31,211 Posts
Make people fill out a questionairre. I'm beginning to forget what each of these terms mean but I'm not actually going to back and look them up because I actually started typing. But basically if someone is a psychopath, they will lack impulse control. The shallow emotions may be a facade that can confuse you, but I don't think there's a facade behind being bold and not thinking through consequences of actions. I guess it would be somewhat difficult, especially since people (such as my wonderful family) decide to attribute behavior that they view as absurd or delusional to some form of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or sociopathy.

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Make people fill out a questionairre. I'm beginning to forget what each of these terms mean but I'm not actually going to back and look them up because I actually started typing. But basically if someone is a psychopath, they will lack impulse control. The shallow emotions may be a facade that can confuse you, but I don't think there's a facade behind being bold and not thinking through consequences of actions. I guess it would be somewhat difficult, especially since people (such as my wonderful family) decide to attribute behavior that they view as absurd or delusional to some form of schizophrenia, bipolar disorder or sociopathy.
It may be a bit difficult to get everyone you are in some form of relationship with to fill out a questionnaire - and that is provided you get the right questionaire that is accurate. I'm hoping to find just a few questions that would be effective, tho maybe not 100% correct, at least you could get pointed into the right direction. Maybe there are questions that triangulate to the right answer even. I don't know if this is possible, but I think it is worth looking into.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts