Personality Cafe banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How to recognize an unhealthy type

SUBMITTED by Steve
Simply put, healthy function use = healthy type. But many of us struggle with our tertiary and inferior function, especially under stress, which can pave the way for behaviors that other people hate or that we even hate ourselves for it. That’s normal, granted you try to self-improve.
An unhealthy type however has this distinction of using their dominant and/or auxiliary function in a counter-productive manner. Since these functions take precedence in our psyche, that means you’re stuck with an individual who’s often naturally unbearable most of the time, not just when things go wrong.
With this in mind…

An unhealthy Si user
is that person who never changes their mind about anything, who always shoots down any kind of alternatives and proposals and will make it their pleasure to criticize anything that they’ve never even tried. Some will go as far as seeing progress as an enemy. It seems like it’ll take a bulldozer to move them away from their comfort zone. Just try not to punch them in the face when they call you all excited about a new discovery that you spent 5 years telling them about.

An unhealthy Se user
is that person who always seems to be in trouble. Financial, legal, professional, you name it. Seems like being around them means cleaning up one mess after another. You’ll scratch your head as to how they say they need to borrow money for the rent and the next week they buy themselves neat new designer clothes or something along those lines. They’re fun for a night out on the town, but otherwise, you probably avoid them like the plague.

An unhealthy Ni user
is that person who always think they understand stuff better than you and that their word is gospel. They effortlessly exude arrogance and somewhat of a superiority complex without even realizing it. Despite their depth of thought, you would still never trade places with them as they never seem to have had one minute of fun during their lifetime and their only ounce of contentment is when you tell them they were right about something.

An unhealthy Ne user
is that person who will have 2 hours discussions with you, that are usually more monologues and yet they never seem to make a point. They get excited about everything and anything, only to never offer you follow-ups. They’ll not only contradict themselves in a span of a few days, but sometimes within the same statement. They’ll often think of themselves as knowledgeable on just about every issue, only to realize they merely scratched said issue on the surface based on something they heard about it on the fly.

An unhealthy Fi user
is that person who just says and does whatever they want without with total disregard as to whether it’s appropriate or not. They are masters at twisting around and justifying everything they say and do. And if all else fails, play the victim, because they’re convinced no one understands them. Their lives are often a mess on an organizational level and please don’t offer them sound and logical advice because that might actually anger them even more. They’ll gladly self-destruct even more if it means telling you to piss off.

An unhealthy Fe user
is that person who knows what everyone is up to, but also criticizes what everyone is doing as if they wrote book on acceptable social norms and behaviors. They have an uncanny ability to think they know what’s best for everyone. You’ll often find them raising themselves up by knocking other people down, often in the form of gossip. And yet for all of this, they never seem to realize that they can’t take care of themselves without any kind of assistance from others which is actually the first issue they should address before meddling in other people’s business.

An unhealthy Ti user is that person who thinks they’ve got it all figured out, yet the results show something quite different. They are often cynical and smartasses but not in a fun way as they’ll shun and criticize everything that makes us human like feelings, unity, spirituality etc. We’re all just monkeys destined to be worm food, you know. Ti can also be aggressively manipulative and disregard people’s feelings when it goes into “as long as I get when I want” mode.

An unhealthy Te user is that person who seems to think everyone is stupid, lazy and incompetent. They want everyone to abide by the rules but are often the first ones to break or twist said rules when it works in their favor. Any and all shreds of “sound advice” will be sprinkled with insults on your ability to problem solve, if not, your entire character. Most frustrating is that when people finally have enough of them, they usually don’t even understand why. In their minds, they’re usually the only ones that are rational and responsible.

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
An unhealthy Ne user is that person who will have 2 hours discussions with you, that are usually more monologues and yet they never seem to make a point. They get excited about everything and anything, only to never offer you follow-ups. They’ll not only contradict themselves in a span of a few days, but sometimes within the same statement. They’ll often think of themselves as knowledgeable on just about every issue, only to realize they merely scratched said issue on the surface based on something they heard about it on the fly.
This sounds like me when stressed. I would often make up random points that never make any sense and can look like absolute garbage from another person's perspective. This is what I call crazy conspiracy me. Whenever under heavy thought while stress, I would often contradict myself with statements

·
Registered
507 Posts
Which functions thinks 'I am in control of my own choices, if I'm unhappy then it's down to me to change it!' then starts planning a new life with a totally different career in Australia. :L

As of yet I have, unsurprisingly, not actually emigrated to the other side of the world but I have been tempted to quit everything and start a bakery on the opposite side of the country.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Which functions thinks 'I am in control of my own choices, if I'm unhappy then it's down to me to change it!' then starts planning a new life with a totally different career in Australia. :L

As of yet I have, unsurprisingly, not actually emigrated to the other side of the world but I have been tempted to quit everything and start a bakery on the opposite side of the country.
Gonna assume Ti.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Can you do a healthy version of these

This is well written btw

·
Banned
375 Posts
I tend to engage in long monologues, to the point that people sometimes commented I'm talking to myself rather than to them, but I always make a concrete solid point, and have a tendency to re-reference it for many days/weeks through follow-ups, as I need to ensure that the person doesn't take my thinking effort as light-hearted and that I am really hard-core devoted to finding the answer (which I am), even if I am determined to only use my individual methods of finding and reinforcing said answer.

If my style of thought or way of thinking get criticized I become defensive, but the way I defend is by trying to figure out whatever are the facts or patterns the person focuses on in his "vision" of the problem, and often point out that his thinking isn't "wholistic" enough, that he doesn't see the "big picture" and spends way too much times on irrelevant details, as though he is a driver who's so focused on the wheel he can't see the road on which he's driving.

I am very distrusting and cautious when it comes to receiving advice from others, which is why I am likely to reject it at first, but just because I reject it externally doesn't mean that I reject it in practice. At first glance I am likely to see advice as an attack against me and treat it as such, but it always ends up contaminating me from the inside, and I end up quietly processing said advice for many days, maybe even weeks, until I decide whether to incorporate it into my life or not. Hence, I appear to reject advice on the surface, but I (reluctantly) always accept it very close to heart on the inside.

Which functions would you assume are unhealthy here?

·
Registered
5w6 sp/sx | 9w1 sp/sx | 3w4 sp/sx | INTJ | ILI
227 Posts
Ni - Passive Fatalism
Se - Domination

Si - No Imagination
Ne - No Reliability

Ti - Trolling
Fe - Virtue Signaling

Fi - Selfishness
Te - Objectification

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
B-but Doctor Jung... are you sure there is such a thing as HEALTHY TYPE?
Think everyone has their moments and balance.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Oh boy, I've seen unhealthy Fi in some people and it's really recognizable. Spot on. I've done it a bit, but not that much. Unhealthy Fi can be so self-serving :-/ I also really relate to the unhealthy Te even though it's my last function.

In my experience an unhealthy/inappropriate use of Fe can lead to emotional manipulation beyond knowing what's best for others.

Good post!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts