Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or is spatial awareness a dying skill?

Virtually every day I put put up with people in the supermarket who walk backwards(?) into me, push trolleys into me, clog up aisles, but now it seems to be happening everywhere. Even the footpath - which has pavers, and thus lines which you can follow for a perfectly straight walk* - seems to be full of people who walks like they're drunk. I love it when I see guys on the footpath who are wannabe thugs, as I can bet 99% of them are SP, and I know I'll be able to walk without crashing into them. When they're all mothers with young kids and old grandmothers I know I'll have to swerve and duck through a horde of xSFJs.

A couple of people have said I'm "like a ninja" because they never can tell when I've walked into the room, truth is, I can do it without making a hullabaloo and walking into things.

Any other SPs feeling angry about this? It's just depressing. :frustrating:

* in chatting to a few friends, I've discovered that not many people do this. I thought everyone did it!

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes! This frustrates me all the time. How can people be so unobservant? Don't they see me there?

When I take the dog for a run, and I have someone coming in the opposite direction, I'll try and make it clear what side I'm going to pass on, by moving to that side well in advance. Yet still, many people either don't notice or don't care, because most of the time they "insist" on choosing the same side I have chosen. You'd think they'd get out of the way. . . I really can't figure out what they are thinking. You're right, though, when someone gets out of the way, I think to myself, "how nice, another SP who pays attention".

Same thing goes in the grocery store. I can hear someone coming around the corner of the aisle with a shopping cart, and I politely pull over and get out of their way, because I know most people don't hear me coming, even though I have the same kind of rattling cart that they have. And there's always someone who has to run their cart into my heels.:crazy:

·
Registered
172 Posts
HAHAHA I have these EXACT same problems! When the problem occurs I usually think, " How could you NOT. FUCKING. see me!?!" haha

·
Registered
111 Posts
Yes!What the hell is wrong with them?!Stop walking around in a dream world and use your bloody eyes. When I go out I go out for a reason I don't muck about wandering into people!I also don't stop in the middle of the street to have a mindless chat and get right in the way. Ugh I hate them! Ok rant over :laughing:

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
this makes me think i'm sfj though, really, because over time i've lost what
i once took much pride in, my dexterity, agility. my vision and balance has
seemingly died. i am however, very aware that this is has become an
obstacle. i can't stand being this way. but i think it has turned out this way
because i've, for so many years, purposefully destroyed my well being.

but yes, this used to piss me off about people. maybe not as much pissed
off as i was annoyed by it. as an example; the ones who stand in line at
the supermarket, who can't read the five huge yellow signs around
the whole area that says "no cash, credit only," and when they realize
they've stacked up in the wrong queue, because they themselves are
incapable of checking their surroundings, because they themselves have
flawed peripherals, and lack awareness, they get pissed off at the people
working there instead of apologizing to the fifty customers behind them
who's time they just wasted. and it makes me wonder, why are people like
this allowed to drive cars? they're an absolute danger in traffic. klutz.

Reactions: sagacity

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I know, seriously. It's not that hard. Just watch where you're going. :dry:

And don't even get me started on all the f-n drivers...where the hell did they get a license? From eBay? jesus.

I'm tall, lanky, and left-handed too, so if I'm not a klutz, no one should be.

Oh, and people who stop in the MIDDLE of a crowded sidewalk to rummage through their pockets or chat with someone make me want to behead myself.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
this makes me think i'm sfj though, really, because over time i've lost what
i once took much pride in, my dexterity, agility. my vision and balance has
seemingly died. i am however, very aware that this is has become an
obstacle. i can't stand being this way. but i think it has turned out this way
because i've, for so many years, purposefully destroyed my well being.

but yes, this used to piss me off about people. maybe not as much pissed
off as i was annoyed by it. as an example; the ones who stand in line at
the supermarket, who can't read the five huge yellow signs around
the whole area that says "no cash, credit only," and when they realize
they've stacked up in the wrong queue, because they themselves are
incapable of checking their surroundings, because they themselves have
flawed peripherals, and lack awareness, they get pissed off at the people
working there instead of apologizing to the fifty customers behind them
who's time they just wasted. and it makes me wonder, why are people like
this allowed to drive cars? they're an absolute danger in traffic. klutz.
haha, you might be right about your possible SFJ-ness. Sounds like you're venting more from an Si point of view.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Really?
Not the same for me, it's not that uncommon for me to walk into people accidentally. Even when I try to pay attention I seem to miss something along the way.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I sometimes enjoy walking quickly through crowds. It can be pretty fun to weave through huge masses of people... it's basically just a slow-moving obstacle course.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I sometimes enjoy walking quickly through crowds. It can be pretty fun to weave through huge masses of people... it's basically just a slow-moving obstacle course.
Okay, gotta admit this is quite fun. As long as it's not too many people... There's a fine line between obstacle course and claustrophobic prison here.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Okay, gotta admit this is quite fun. As long as it's not too many people... There's a fine line between obstacle course and claustrophobic prison here.
I do this, too. Just motor right through people. Side slip, here, speed up here, etc. Also can't quite understand how people can just blunder right into you. Most of the time they're easy enough to avoid, though I have experimented a time or two and just stood STILL to see if they could -possibly- walk RIGHT into a person standing stark still.

Yep, they do. And more often than not get pissed off at YOU for it. How DARE I be in their blind random lumbering path?

·
Registered
5,135 Posts
OH MY GOD,

THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

seriously. just LOOK AROUND YOU. not difficult. one of my good friends has literally 0 spatial awareness. i can't imagine the amount of times i've said "watch for that X." I realised that it isnt that peolpe have no disregard for whether they break things or not, its just that they really have no awareness of their surroundings. intuitors :dry: (jokes.)

·
MOTM June 2011
6,992 Posts
It drives me crazy when I'm in crowds or in aisles at the store. I want to scream at the parent's with their children and/or stroller blocking the whole freaking area and dilly dallying around because they have no idea where they're headed. And even other bystanders, not just parents with their kids. Random people, completely oblivious that there exists another human being on the planet. Then there's the groups of these invalids standing in your way, blocking you, or walking as a wall of people towards you paying no mind. I want to grab them by the shirt collar and shake them back to reality.

I think it's the SP-ness that goes, "Get the hell out of my way I'm on a mission!!!"

·
Registered
889 Posts
OH MY GOD,

THIS REALLY PISSES ME OFF.

seriously. just LOOK AROUND YOU. not difficult. one of my good friends has literally 0 spatial awareness. i can't imagine the amount of times i've said "watch for that X." I realised that it isnt that peolpe have no disregard for whether they break things or not, its just that they really have no awareness of their surroundings. intuitors :dry: (jokes.)
My wife (INFP) hits her head on a very regular basis because she just doesn't pay attention. The woman even manages to hit her head while laying in bed. It's astounding.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I find this strange because I never bump into people, nor do they bump into me. I always manage to avoid collisions because I am paying attention so much.
This is unless it's so crowded that it's impossible to move without touching anybody.

However, I have occasionaly bumped my head into something.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts