Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As is often the case with studies or other inquiry and observation, you sometimes learn something you weren't expecting to. In the case of a survey I created (https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LJJXJPJ if you wish to fill it out, it's about MBTI & Addicitons, Mental Health), the data so far isn't comprehensive enough to offer insight into what I was hoping to learn about, but I do now know something about what types are most likely to fill out surveys (or browse places surveys might be posted... or perhaps there's simply more of these types).

If anyone's interested in how insanely imbalanced the survey participant's MBTI typings are, you can see the data for yourself here: https://i.imgur.com/b3UzZAZ.png

Now, I can't decide if this lends credence to the MBTI types or not. On the one hand, it could show a blatant statistical difference between people of such types (you may also note that the types who filled it out most are all INxx, whilst the two in the bottom are ESFx). But, on the other hand, maybe there are significantly more INxx individuals than other types, accounting for the hugely unequal distribution. I suppose the problem with statistics is they can show you possible relationships and patterns, but they don't tell you what's actually causing them.

So, I'm curious what anyone else thinks? Do you feel this could potentially prove some significant differences in MBTI types and their functioning? Or, do you think this difference can simply be accounted for by more of those types potentially existing (I don't know if that's the case or not, I'm just theorizing), or if those types are simply more likely to browse places where a survey could be posted (although that in itself is a difference in behaviour between the types). :thinking:

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
Well, this is not very surprising really.

Certain types are just more interested in taking surveys and PerC has a disproportionate amount of intuitives (not to mention that intuitives are disproportionately interested in psychology/MBTI to begin with).

Of course, like you said, you can't really draw any conclusions with the sample size you have. Statistics is a bitch, it takes a lot of effort to do it right, and even then the results would only be indicative.

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
^Yeah, what she said. I think you are going to have more INs answering, likely more INs on PerC. More interest in psychology, studies, philosophical self analysis and such.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very true, in response to what both of you have stated. Although, for the sake of clarity, most of the survey responses came from Reddit I think (I posted in several locations), and it was a general MBTI subreddit. Of course, as noted, it's very possible Intuitives in general are more interested in MBTI as well as participating in semi-personal surveys, so that can certainly account for the notable difference in type responses.

Reactions: GusWriter
1 - 4 of 4 Posts