Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep being told by various doctors and researchers that SSRI's/SNRI's/etc are highly effective for anxiety disorders. I have no experience taking antidepressants as I have previously been highly against taking them (even though I was clinically depressed for a long time). I'm currently not at all depressed, but struggle with anxiety, poor concentration, and anger. Although one of my anxiety problems involves the side-effects of these drugs, I might be willing to give them a try.

Does anyone have experience taking SSRI's or other antidepressants for disorders, conditions, or symptoms other than Depression? No advice please, just personal experience.

Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I keep being told by various doctors and researchers that SSRI's/SNRI's/etc are highly effective for anxiety disorders. I have no experience taking antidepressants as I have previously been highly against taking them (even though I was clinically depressed for a long time). I'm currently not at all depressed, but struggle with anxiety, poor concentration, and anger. Although one of my anxiety problems involves the side-effects of these drugs, I might be willing to give them a try.

Does anyone have experience taking SSRI's or other antidepressants for disorders, conditions, or symptoms other than Depression? No advice please, just personal experience.

Thanks in advance!
I'm on one. I don't notice a great deal of mitigation with my anxiety, perhaps some. If anxiety is your problem and they don't want to try you on benzos, why not Buspar? SSRIs are just more wide-reaching (from research and experience)

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Anxiety(GAD) is exactly what l was put on Effexor for.

And before that l was also on Zoloft for ADHD, but it was with Adderall which they do quite frequently so l can't speak for the Zoloft alone.

l made sure the doctor knew before hand that l wasn't depressed at all because l thought the Effexor might make me too happy. lt didn't make the anxiety worse but it made me, how should l say...

lt made me VERY, VERY expressive. And l made a few bad decisions, because l had this new found extremely strong desire to connect with people. lol.

So l'm not sure what it triggered in me, but l have read a lot about Effexor in particular and l would consider it seriously if it's suggested or just try something else.

·
Ace of Spades
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm on one. I don't notice a great deal of mitigation with my anxiety, perhaps some. If anxiety is your problem and they don't want to try you on benzos, why not Buspar? SSRIs are just more wide-reaching (from research and experience)
I will look that up. Thanks!

I have benzos (Ativan) for panic attacks, but I am highly against using them regularly. I do about once a month.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I will look that up. Thanks!

I have benzos (Ativan) for panic attacks, but I am highly against using them regularly. I do about once a month.
Well, yes, I don't really know of drugs worse than benzos to become addicted to, although it can probably be used more than once per month. Though, benzo addiction and subsequent, unlike heroin, is both unpleasant AND fatal. Using long-acting ones like klonopin are more advised, but that is pretty addicting as well.

I'm pretty much a klon addict right now, honestly. I did it mainly because my social anxiety was crippling at a time, and it worked, though I have my regrets after finding this information out the hard way. Buspar never worked, but I tried it after I developed k-pin addiction (all prescribed---for 6+ years)

·
Ace of Spades
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
lt made me VERY, VERY expressive. And l made a few bad decisions, because l had this new found extremely strong desire to connect with people. lol.

So l'm not sure what it triggered in me, but l have read a lot about Effexor in particular and l would consider it seriously if it's suggested or just try something else.
Interesting! Thanks. I have heard that about Effexor from a few others actually. Tbh, I think I have too much norepinephrine, so it might not be the one for me.

Still, interesting.

·
Banned
3,139 Posts
I was initially prescribed SSRI's for my anxiety. I was on Paxil for a month, and it increased my anxiety. Badly. Worst month of my life.

But, I also ended up being diagnosed with depression, and then bipolar disorder (I had initially gone to the doctor solely for anxiety). I was eventually put on antipsychotics (seroquel). Seroquel improved my mood, but didn't take away my nervous edge. Eventually my doctor put me on the beta blocker propranolol, which has helped a ton.

I honestly wouldn't recommend SSRI's because some of the side effects suck. I know I'm in kind of a different scenario than you, but they didn't help my anxiety AT ALL. While I was on them I was taking double the amount of xanax I was supposed to. It was bad.

Hope this helped? Whatever you do, be careful.

·
Ace of Spades
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, yes, I don't really know of drugs worse than benzos to become addicted to, although it can probably be used more than once per month. Though, benzo addiction and subsequent, unlike heroin, is both unpleasant AND fatal. Using long-acting ones like klonopin are more advised, but that is pretty addicting as well.

I'm pretty much a klon addict right now, honestly. I did it mainly because my social anxiety was crippling at a time, and it worked, though I have my regrets after finding this information out the hard way. Buspar never worked, but I tried it after I developed k-pin addiction (all prescribed---for 6+ years)
Yikes! Yeah, I've heard from various people that quitting benzos is one of the hardest things to ever do. Definitely don't want to go there. I wish you lots of strength and success!

I was initially prescribed SSRI's for my anxiety. I was on Paxil for a month, and it increased my anxiety. Badly. Worst month of my life.

But, I also ended up being diagnosed with depression, and then bipolar disorder (I had initially gone to the doctor solely for anxiety). I was eventually put on antipsychotics (seroquel). Seroquel improved my mood, but didn't take away my nervous edge. Eventually my doctor put me on the beta blocker propranolol, which has helped a ton.

I honestly wouldn't recommend SSRI's because some of the side effects suck. I know I'm in kind of a different scenario than you, but they didn't help my anxiety AT ALL. While I was on them I was taking double the amount of xanax I was supposed to. It was bad.

Hope this helped? Whatever you do, be careful.
Thanks for the input!

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
Yikes! Yeah, I've heard from various people that quitting benzos is one of the hardest things to ever do. Definitely don't want to go there. I wish you lots of strength and success!

Thanks for the input!
I don't really have real intentions of quitting at the moment as the duration of which I have been on them has far exceeded what is now FDA recommended. Benzos, unlike most other neuro drugs, pretty much affect all neurotransmitters, so quitting may even be disadvantageous for those who have been on them for long periods (2 years for instance; I've been on them 3x that period). I may quit, but it will be a weaning period that is over time, even though I took at most 1mg per day.

No matter how many stories we tell you, we have no clue how you will react to them. I will say that certain psychiatrists don't care either. They will prescribe whatever seems as if it will aid your suffering--at that time. It's very important to join a forum or to have multiple drs (if you can afford it) review your regimen.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Both the SSRIs I tired were pretty inferior to Mirtazapine despite it's intense side effects. I don't really remember there being much of a positive effect from them, and I'm not at all sure they were worth it. Quitting Effexor suuuuuuuuuucked harder than anything I've ever withdrawn from, and I have heard the same thing from a lot of people. I don't think either Prozac or Effexor did much for my anxiety, though I'm sure the antipsychotics took that down a notch or two.

If I was to go back to antidepressants for depression or anxiety it almost definitely wouldn’t be an SSRI. I'd be interested in mirtazapine in the short term (really, really fantastic for not feeling anxiety, depression, experiencing over thinking, or feeling crushed by the world... maybe a bit too fantastic), or perhaps welbutrin...

"Finding the treatments that suck less"
http://www.crazymeds.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HomePage

·
Ace of Spades
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't really have real intentions of quitting at the moment as the duration of which I have been on them has far exceeded what is now FDA recommended. Benzos, unlike most other neuro drugs, pretty much affect all neurotransmitters, so quitting may even be disadvantageous for those who have been on them for long periods (2 years for instance; I've been on them 3x that period). I may quit, but it will be a weaning period that is over time, even though I took at most 1mg per day.
Yeah, benzos are positive GABA modulators. Conceptually, I see them more as "turning down" anxiety while also turning down other functions (which may or may not be positive). I see SSRI's as "boosting" positive functions which can help overcome anxiety (e.g. giving one more confidence in social situations instead of reducing anxiety globally). They are much too unselective though, affecting the digestive system and other pathways...

Both are shown to change the brain long-term. This scares me a little.

No matter how many stories we tell you, we have no clue how you will react to them. I will say that certain psychiatrists don't care either. They will prescribe whatever seems as if it will aid your suffering--at that time. It's very important to join a forum or to have multiple drs (if you can afford it) review your regimen.
Oh of course. That's why I tried not to make this thread about me, or it'd be in the Advice forum. I'm particularly curious to hear if they have helped anyone, as the majority of stories I hear are negative. I live in Canada so I'm covered for most of this. "Regimen" sounds scary. I have never been one to take medication/drugs regularly. I'm more of a self-medicate as-needed type ;) Not without tons of research though (which I've been doing in terms of SSRI's. This doesn't count).

·
Registered
77 Posts
I'm more of a self-medicate as-needed type ;) Not without tons of research though (which I've been doing in terms of SSRI's. This doesn't count).
Probably a good idea to talk this through with whoever is suggesting prescribing you SSRIs since if you don't take them regularly they will be totally useless for anxiety even if they might work in your case (which they often don't in my experience). B-Blocker might be a better first line if you just want something to take when you need that isn't addictive.

·
Banned
2,871 Posts
I noticed 40 mg of Celexa virtually erased my sex drive; I thought it was just because I just turned 27 and was getting older. Now I'm like toes the male version of:

·
Registered
421 Posts
Where do I start, ha. I struggle with several anxiety disorders, chiefly GAD. I started with Paxil, which was decent, but not perfect. It was hell to get off of, absolutely hell. Then, I started Lexapro, which had less side effects than Paxil but equally expensive and had the unfortunate fatigue and yawning problem. I tried Zoloft; it made me sick. I went back on Lexapro, this time generic, because finally it had been released. I'm only on 5 mg. I do have depression but it's more of a secondary symptom to the anxiety (because, you know, anxiety disorders are depressing when they aren't managed well at all and making life miserable each and every day). I've been on some antidepressant for eight years now. I still struggle, but the anxiety is more manageable than it is when I'm NOT on any SSRI. It's really a guessing-game, trying to find a drug that works for you, if any. Some people have difficulty, some don't. Good luck!

·
Registered
978 Posts
Hey! I've never been very prone to depression, but I tend to have anxiety. I was at a very stressful, but good, time in my life a little over a year ago. When I got home from work, I would be doing something totally mundane and would start hyperventilating or shaking or crying without being sad, which was very disconcerting. So I went to my doctor and she prescribed celexa (citalopram). It was good, except it seemed to cause me to be sleepy. So I switched after a couple of months to lexapro (escitalopram), and I haven't felt abnormally anxious since. Only thing is, I've gained about 15 pounds and for the life of me I can't lose it.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I am taking Zoloft for my anxiety (social anxiety, but my doctor also thinks I get panic attacks), and eh. I probably will try to switch to something else. It seems to do an ok job at kinda putting my mind/body at ease when I'm feeling just mildly anxious, but it doesn't really do anything when I'm in full-on panic mode or whatever (which is the problem in the first place). I also take Paxil as-needed, and I like how that makes my mind feel, but that too doesn't do much for my physical symptoms. I think mostly what it's been doing for me is letting me feel more optimistic about situations and I don't overthink things as much as I used to. So in that way, it's been a help. I've been using it once a week for a class where I have to give weekly presentations, and I for sure see an improvement there. But that's also confounded with the fact that I've been getting more practice by doing it each week...

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
The answer is fluvoxamine. It is anti panic and anti ocd ssri.

Reactions: Spades

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
I've tried three antidepressants: Celexa, Wellbutrin, and Zoloft. Celexa did nothing for me. Wellbutrin, one of the most tolerated meds, made me cry all day (and considering my depression doesn't manifest as crying, it was weird). Zoloft, however, has effectively treated my depression, but I don't feel like it has touched my social anxiety at all. Apparently Zoloft is helpful for anxiety disorders, just... not for me. Everyone reacts differently, though, so anything is worth a try.

Does this list help you any? Anxieties.com | Introduction - Common Medications for Anxiety Disorders

As an aside, I've heard of antidepressants being used for migraines. That's interesting, IMO.

EDIT: Is there a chance your anger is caused by depression? Mine manifests as extreme irritability rather than sadness, so I thought I'd ask.

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Actually, as I understand it, SSRIs have a low amount of side-effects for anti-depressants (Why SSRIs Are so Popular; but Are They Right for You?). It's just that everyone reacts differently. Take my case: Zoloft is more for anxiety, yet it helps only my depression. And Wellbutrin apparently helps most people who take it, but probably would've driven me to suicide if I continued (and I've never been suicidal, even off drugs).

However, I did experience some side-effects for the first 2-3 weeks of taking Zoloft. I felt very fatigued and nauseous after taking it in the morning, so I cut the dose in half and took it before bed for a while (not anymore). It made me sleep less, but then I'm very prone to insomnia in the first place. The weirdest one was that any meat I ate during this time made me want to throw up... I kinda love meat, so that was annoying. I was worried these wouldn't go away, but they did, and now I don't notice any side-effects at all.

I just found this: "Zoloft is especially good for depression defined by sleeping too much, eating too much, and withdrawing from the world." Funny, because I don't sleep enough nor eat enough, though I do withdraw and push people away when depressed.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts