Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Washington Post had an interesting article on him.
(I can't post the link as I don't have enough posts yet, but just Google his name and the Washington Post.)

Tragedy all around, so sad that 16 Afghans were murdered and so sad this soldier's life is effectively over and his wife and kids will not have him around anymore.

I don't condone his actions of course, but consider the context. I think I'd snap too like Robert Bales if I were:

- deployed 4 times, up to 15 months at a time
- make little money for it (E-6 Staff Sergeant salary is roughly $35,000/year)
- got my brain rocked by an IED explosion + Humbee rollover causing traumatic brain injury
- suffered from PTSD
- separated from wife, kids, family, and friends
- deal with sheer boredom (go out on patrol) while being subjected to getting sniped or blown up any moment
- see friends get blown up

What is America doing sending our troops over there as essentially Peace Corps with guns, but with one hand tied behind their backs?

American soldiers should be called upon to do what their best at, fight and win as efficiently as possible, not build nations and act as a tax-free public good for the rest of the world. They deserve better.

I'm very curious to know what you smart people here have to say about this. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
3,641 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.