Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stanley Kubrick himself is listed on CelebrityTypes as an ISTP and I cannot accept that in the least. From what I know about him, he's quite clearly an INTJ. Maybe it's just me - or maybe I'm totally off? If you believe Kubrick's an ISTP - totally help me figure that one out. Until I get some good proof, I'm sticking with INTJ.

Anyway, the rest of the point of this is to talk about his characters and their types. Noted, I'm not doing every character from every movie. Just the main characters from the movies I've watched multiple times and feel relatively confident in. If you want to bring up a minor character, or a character from a movie not listed - please feel free.

A Clockwork Orange:
Alex - ENTP
Frank, the writer - INFx
Chief Guard Barnes - ExTJ
Mr. Deltoid - ESTx
Dim (I would do the other droogs, but I feel like Dim was the one we knew best) - ISxP

The Shining:
Jack - INTP
Danny - INFJ
Wendy - ISFJ
Hallorann - ENFJ

Full Metal Jacket:
Joker - INFJ
Rafterman - xxFP
Private Pyle - ISFP who is driven to insanity
Sgt. Hartman - ESTJ
Cowboy - ExTx
Animal Mother - ESTP

Eyes Wide Shut:
Bill Harford - IxTx
Alice Harford - xxFx
Ziegler - ESTJ
Amanda - ExFP
Nick Nightingale - Ixxx

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That doesn't really seem right at all, I think. But, I'm just making sure you know we're talking about Joker from Full Metal Jacket

full-metal-jacket-joker.jpg

and not Joker from the Batman universe - right?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
A Clockwork Orange
Alex - ENTJ

The Shining
Jack - INTP
Danny - INTJ
Wendy - ESFJ

Full Metal Jacket
Joker - ISTJ
Private Pyle - ENFJ
Sgt. Hartman - ESTJ

Eyes Wide Shut
Bill Harford - ISTJ
Alice Harford - ESTP
Ziegler - ESTJ
Nick Nightingale - ISTP

·
Registered
595 Posts
It's not just you. Kubrick is INTJ, and indeed CelebrityTypes used to have him typed correctly. For some reason they decided Kubrick wasn't "intellectual" enough to be INTJ, yet if you read the quotes they have listed as supposed evidence for him being ISTP, most of it sounds more INTJ anyway. That site really just is not trustworthy. They pretend to be experts who have definitive answers in a field where there are none. They even literally try to type people who have no written work left, like Socrates. They have some really insane typings, like that Kanye West is ISFJ. And they change their typings constantly. I would take everything I read there with a grain of salt.

Anyway, Alex in Clockwork Orange is ENTP, not ENTJ.

Jack from The Shining could be INTP, that's interesting. I know Jack Nicholson himself is ESTP, so that's always what I thought Jack Torrance was but I didn't think much about it. INTP might fit the character better though. ISTP is possible too.

Joker from Full Metal Jacket is definitely ENTP and Sgt. Hartman is definitely definitely ESTJ.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The (erroneous) perception around Kubrick as this mastermind who had every frame of his films in his head before he shot them fits the stereotypical INTJ. However, if you actually read some of his interviews, and look at his working methods, ISTP makes a whole lot more sense. First of all, Kubrick never knew what he wanted in his movies; his famous quote was "I don't always know what I want, but I always know what I don't want." Ni-doms will almost always have some idea in their heads about what they want, even if it's just some vague nonsense that doesn't conform to reality, it's still something. That's our gig, we're dreamers. Kubrick's method was more a very meticulous version of going in, experimenting, and figuring out what works. That's why his films took so long to make, and why he shot so many takes, he was constructing them as he went, and that takes time. The more you know about Kubrick, the more you see that he started from the details and worked his way to the big picture.

Also, and this is what I think CT meant by less intellectual, Kubrick didn't like discussing meaning. Kubrick would discuss the technical process by which he made films, but when an interviewer would bring up some kind of philosophical implications or meaning to his films, the best they'd ever get out of him is a "hmm, interesting" kind of response. For an Ni-dom, who's dominant mode is exploring the subjective meanings behind their subjective perceptions, this doesn't add up. He himself seemed to be aware of this perception, as in an interview with Rolling Stone where he noted a shot in Full Metal Jacket with a burning building that looks just like the monolith from 2001–he pointed out that this happened purely by accident, but he knew people would be convinced that it was intentional.

And if anyone is gonna come at me with something from Room 237 (or as I call it, "Intentional Fallacy: The Movie"), I'm giving you a preemptive "fuck off!" That movie is pure bullshit. One guy tried to tell me Kubrick was a Mastermind because he picked all the the objects in the frame in The Shining, but that's what a director does: department heads show you what they've come up with, giving you options, and you make a decision. Go watch Day for Night, or any DVD documentary if you don't believe me. And, according to his assistant, Kubrick made those decisions based on what looked good on camera.

Bottom line, I wish people would stop treating Kubrick's films like puzzles to be solved, they're not. They're just movies. And I know that's like Beethoven is "just music," but it's the simple truth. Kubrick was brilliant man, an incredibly gifted artist, and his movies are amazingly well-made, but they're just movies. Went off on a bit of a tangent, but yeah, Stanley Kubrick, ISTP. I'm quite certain of it.

·
Spam-I-am
13,638 Posts
i do not know his type but the man was clearly a film making genius
seen all his films several times, alas you forgot to include 2 of his best movies
dr strange love
tsk tsk

·
Registered
656 Posts
Kubrick organized and planned out his shoots like a military operation. He had everything figured out down to how much toilet paper was needed. He did all his planning himself; everything he did and every work he ever created was planned by him. He was always a meticulous planner, starting with his first movie. Being a mastermind doesn't mean he would know what every frame of his artistic work would look like. Kubrick was a mastermind who was also an artist. He knew, in the way INTJ's know things, that artists don't know what they want and that it reveals itself. The way he played his actors, crew, Warner Brothers, the media, screenwriters, and composers to get what he wanted and his interactions with them fits the INTJ type much better than ISTP. Celebritytypes fell for the romantic black and white photographic image of him as an artisan craftsman the same way they fell for Steve Jobs as an ISTP <-- (one of the funniest typings I've seen yet). They're using some names as vehicles to get out their message of 'bias against S'. If you read their Steve Jobs typing of him as ISTP you can see they clearly want some fame and recognition.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
He knew, in the way INTJ's know things, that artists don't know what they want and that it reveals itself.
Well if we're going there, I know, in the way that INFJs just know things, that Kubrick was an ISTP. Seriously though, while Ni-dominance does lead us to inexplicable insight from time to time, there is an actual process involved, even if the user isn't conscious of it.

Kubrick organized and planned out his shoots like a military operation. He had everything figured out down to how much toilet paper was needed. He did all his planning himself; everything he did and every work he ever created was planned by him. He was always a meticulous planner, starting with his first movie.
I'm not a big fan of typing by dichotomies, but if there is a clear line separating Sensors from iNtuitives, it's that S-types focus on details, whereas N-types focus on the overall picture. An INTJ wouldn't care about how much toilet paper was needed, because they'd see it as irrelevant to their overall vision. Kubrick was hands-on, and detail oriented: an ISTP.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Alex is ESTP , I think.

Reactions: EonsInTheNight

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm interested in what you think Barry Lyndon is.

From what I've figured out:

2001:A Space Odyssey
David Bowman -ISTP
HAL -INTx

A Clocwork Orange
Alex -ESTP
I wonder what that politician was?

Fullmetal Jacket
Sgt. Hartman -ESTJ
Joker -ENTP, the same as the other Joker :]
Animal Mother -ESTP

I think Barry Lyndon could be a more pragmatic ESFP who became harsher latter in life due to the selfish path he had to take. In the end, his Fi values came back tough.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Opportunist yet reckless, quick to find his way around the problems. (Se/Ti)
ESTP for Barry Lyndon

Lolita
Charlotte Haze: ESFJ
Dolores "Lolita" Haze: ESFP

A Clockwork Orange
Alex DeLarge: ENTP

2001: A Space Odyssey
HAL: xSTJ (probably an ESTJ)

·
Registered
535 Posts
Opportunist yet reckless, quick to find his way around the problems. (Se/Ti)
ESTP for Barry Lyndon

Lolita
Charlotte Haze: ESFJ
Dolores "Lolita" Haze: ESFP

A Clockwork Orange
Alex DeLarge: ENTP

2001: A Space Odyssey
HAL: xSTJ (probably an ESTJ)
I find Alex DeLarge ESTP because for him sex and violence is what mattered compared to The Joker from The Dark Knight who was more about showing his brilliance.

Also, I don't think HAL is xSTJ because I don't think an xSTJ would go as far to kill to one's he's in charge of, even if for the greater mission, that's not really the way one is supposed to act in such a way, yet HAL bend the rules.

As for Barry Lyndon, that romantism he has in the begining it's not what I'd expect from an ESTP, overall his demeanour is too femine. ESFP can be oportunist and reckless, yet he showed Fi in the begining and last part of the movie. It's almost like a story about him loosing his values along the way and regaining them back even if it means loosing all he gained till then.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I find Alex DeLarge ESTP because for him sex and violence is what mattered compared to The Joker from The Dark Knight who was more about showing his brilliance.

Also, I don't think HAL is xSTJ because I don't think an xSTJ would go as far to kill to one's he's in charge of, even if for the greater mission, that's not really the way one is supposed to act in such a way, yet HAL bend the rules.

As for Barry Lyndon, that romantism he has in the begining it's not what I'd expect from an ESTP, overall his demeanour is too femine. ESFP can be oportunist and reckless, yet he showed Fi in the begining and last part of the movie. It's almost like a story about him loosing his values along the way and regaining them back even if it means loosing all he gained till then.
As for Alex DeLarge, yes I find your reasons plausible. So, I think Alex suits to ESTP as well.

But on the other hand I still suggest xSTJ for HAL.
D: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

As for HAL, he didn't bend the rules, actually what he did was all for the duty. His problem wasn't not following the rules but following them too blindly.

And for Barry Lyndon, I think he is just too emotionally adaptive for a Fi user. Not to mention he shows the characteristics of introverted thinking. But I will rewatch some of the scenes and think it over again.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
2001: A Space Odissey
HAL - IxTJ

A Clockwork Orange
Alex - ESTP
I think his droogs should also have a similar type.

Full Metal Jacket
Hartman - ESTJ
Animal Mother - ESTP

I don't remember about the other characters well enough.

I'll also come back here after I watch Dr. Strangelove.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
As for Alex DeLarge, yes I find your reasons plausible. So, I think Alex suits to ESTP as well.

But on the other hand I still suggest xSTJ for HAL.
D: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.

As for HAL, he didn't bend the rules, actually what he did was all for the duty. His problem wasn't not following the rules but following them too blindly.

And for Barry Lyndon, I think he is just too emotionally adaptive for a Fi user. Not to mention he shows the characteristics of introverted thinking. But I will rewatch some of the scenes and think it over again.
Remember that HAL was given orders contrary to his programming. That's what fucked him up.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would guess that he was of similar temperament to myself – INTP.

The reason is simply that I spent years working with somebody who spent something like 30 years working with him as his right hand man, who told me one day as a 19 year old "you know what... don't know many people of your sort... total scientist... you're just like Stanley... and I'd know". I took it as a compliment.

My thinking on the basis of how that correlates with Myers-Briggs profiling isn't a question of ego or even loyalty to the temperament sorting process, which is naturally cursory and based on 50% thresholding.

In my case it's fairly 50:50 whether it's Thinking or Feeling, so I can easily rig that by retaking the test and being just a little more sentimental in my outlook depending on what I'd like to be classified as. In terms of authenticity, I'd call my personality style I - N - F/T - P, where there's no particular heavy bias on thinking or feeling.

One thing we can be very sure about... Stanley *definitely* was an introvert, he'd have assistants spend weeks gathering up boxes of materials for him to sit and go through in his own time.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I'd like to point out that none of these characters are original, these are (probably) all adaptations.

I'm sure most people know that, but I just felt it had to be said.

Kubrick, I think, was an INTP. Every ISTP I know is unbearably bored by his movies and I can't see an ISTP creating this kind of stuff.

I think Alex is the only person in A Clockwork Orange worth typing; ENTP. Maybe ENTJ.

The Shining:
Jack - INTP
Danny - He's a child, how can he be typed?
Wendy - IXFX

Full Metal Jacket:
Joker - INFP
Rafterman - xxFP
Private Pyle - ISFP
Sgt. Hartman - ESTJ

Hal- ISTJ

I would type Eyes Wide Shut, but it seems impossible. I won't type Lolita because it's my favorite book and I feel like Kubrick twisted the characters too much. I will just refrain from that.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts