Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've noticed a correlation between trekkies and NTs.

Star Trek has all of the big abstract philosophical ideas plus the scientific reasoning, which seems to pair perfectly with NTs. For some NTs it seems to become almost a kind of...I don't want to say religion, but like a philosophy of life. I think the more aspergerish among us take solace in the vulcan philosophy.

So, what I'm wondering is among which of the four NT types Star Trek is the most popular. My money is on the INTJs since they seem to be the most naturally vulcan-like. I'm thinking it should be the least popular among ENTJs; I don't know why; it's just a hunch. (for the record, in case it wasn't obvious, I'm a big fan of star trek. Mostly tos but also tng.) Anyway, post and say whether you like the show, and I'll try to form a very poorly put-together and highly-anecdotal estimate. :tongue:

(As a side question, I've been trying to figure out what type best correlates with Captain Kirk. I'm thinking ESFP, but am unsure about it.)

·
Registered
535 Posts
I love Star Trek TOS! Never was quite fond of TNG, but I like DS9 and VOY, too.
For me Star Trek was the first TV series where I could actually identify with the characters. It's mostly that, and not the technology or philosophy.

Kirk is very probably an ENTJ. He uses his intuition to solve problems (which is contrasted against ISTJ Spock), but in the end he is more a man of action. He never spins wild theories, but has flashes of intuition that give him a complete strategy, so he's using Ni, not Ne.

·
Registered
612 Posts
I think Star Trek is basically "ethics and feelings for dummies" for us NTs. As I get older and get stronger Fe, I go through Deep Space Nine and find ideas, levels of understanding, and things I wasn't familiar with when younger. That and Picard's decision making process has because more transparent to me, IE why he does things the way he does, etc.

ITS NEATO!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think Star Trek is basically "ethics and feelings for dummies" for us NTs. As I get older and get stronger Fe, I go through Deep Space Nine and find ideas, levels of understanding, and things I wasn't familiar with when younger. That and Picard's decision making process has because more transparent to me, IE why he does things the way he does, etc.

ITS NEATO!!
That's fascinating. "Ethics and feelings for dummies." In my own case, by the time I got big into star trek I had already formed my own ethical philosophy, which just so happened to correlate really well with the star trek philosophy. But I can see how Star Trek could help NTs who haven't quite developed their compassion.

4,757 Posts
Checking in as an NF who absolutely loves Star Trek - especially TOS. :tongue:

4,757 Posts
Would you mind expanding on what you like about it? Is it the character relationships? The philosophy?
I primarily like it because of the characters and their relationships - yes, a pretty stereotypical NF answer but it's true. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the sci-fi of it - I love the plots, the whole idea of venturing into the unknown, the alien-ness of the aliens, the tropes they use (mirror universe with bearded Spock is awesome).

Reactions: clawsthatcatch

·
Registered
183 Posts
NT yes, and I like Star Trek a lot (from top: VOY and TNG down to Ent, DS9, movies and least TOS).

I like it a lot more for philosophy and charachters than for the scientific reasoning which is sometimes, let me pass the heresy, near the lowest technobabbles in SF pop culture. In this thread, I second both noz and heartturnedtoporcelain.

I really, really savor interactions among characters, who are one and all 'aliens' each to the other, and I love the optimistic tune of the series in resolving all due conflicts in morals and communicating, along with 'material' obstacles, simply using reasoning and good will, undestatement and 'remember they are different and they have the right to be so'. Even the most 'feeler' of the (main) characters rarely shouts or storms out a room when facing a problem, even the most 'thinker' of them struggles to be 'kind' to those who need to find kindness. This is very close to a perfect society to me XD.

PS why didn't you open an 8 opts poll? (Four temperaments) x [i like ST , I don't like ST] ?

PPS I hate Kirk

PPPS: Vulcans = INTJs? Their ideal being is INTJ perhaps, but none of the Vulcans portrayed was one - a lot of ISTJ, except perhaps Tuvok.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
*waves*

I'm an INTJ, and a proud Trekkie. I love TNG the most [as I have seen every episode and movie], but I also love TOS and VOY [and in the process of finishing these episodes as well]. I'll probably get into DS9 and ENT... eventually... but that's a maybe after consideration of the fact that they're the most drama-focused, rather than sci-fi focused, which is what I like most. [After all, I was a fan of CSI for the science, not the drama.] I'm trying to watch every episode and movie, yes.

lol.

Love: Data, Spock, Picard, McCoy [strangely], Janeway, Tuvok, EMH Mark I, Bashir, and Q. :crazy:

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I love all Star Trek, I love the fans, conventions etc. TOS was the best in my opinion, but I will take anything they give me. One thing about TOS - many very talented sci-fi writers of that time wrote different episodes. That is the reason you have time-travel in one episode and Zeus-like gods in the next. Great show that belongs in some TV hall of fame if it is not already there.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I primarily like it because of the characters and their relationships - yes, a pretty stereotypical NF answer but it's true. That's not to say that I don't enjoy the sci-fi of it - I love the plots, the whole idea of venturing into the unknown, the alien-ness of the aliens, the tropes they use (mirror universe with bearded Spock is awesome).
I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the character relationships.

My theory is that Spock, McCoy, and Kirk together almost make one full person. :crazy:

Spock is the brains. He uses strict logic to make decisions, often to great effect--he's usually right. The negative side of this is that sometimes Spock doesn't realize that other people aren't as logical as he is (I think that's why he loses games of chess to Kirk.) Also, his strict adherence to logic sometimes leaves him stuck between several options which are all equally logical given a lack of information.

McCoy is the heart. He uses his great compassion, not really to make decisions, but to be the voice of ethical concern. This scenario gets played out over and over: Kirk gets in trouble, so Spock is in command. McCoy yells at Spock about how much danger Kirk is in and how Spock isn't doing anything to help him. Spock rationally explains several times that he can't do anything because some alien force is preventing him. McCoy doesn't listen and continues to complain. McCoy also gets upset whenever the enterprise is forced to let any group get hurt, regardless if it's the most logical choice. The negative side of this is that, well, McCoy is normally wrong and is usually not listened to on the big questions. The positive side of this is that he never lets command forget that, damnit, there are people getting hurt and Spock isn't doing anything about it!

Kirk is the gut. He's the impulsive one who strongly trusts his intuition and his instincts on what the best thing to do is. The negative side of this is rashness and aggression, but the positive side is that after listening to Spock and McCoy argue, he has the strength of will to make a decision.

This is why the three work the best together. They're the yin to each other's yang. It's also why they're so entertaining to watch interact. Spock and McCoy arguments are especially fun.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
NT yes, and I like Star Trek a lot (from top: VOY and TNG down to Ent, DS9, movies and least TOS).

PS why didn't you open an 8 opts poll? (Four temperaments) x [i like ST , I don't like ST] ?

PPS I hate Kirk

PPPS: Vulcans = INTJs? Their ideal being is INTJ perhaps, but none of the Vulcans portrayed was one - a lot of ISTJ, except perhaps Tuvok.
I swear. I thought about it. I even tried to do it. I checkmarked "add a poll" and it did nothing. Can you help me? lol.

Spock seems INTJ to me. He thinks very abstractly a lot of the time and has a lot of very fantastical ideas.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I can't help you, I am not even sure you can modify an already-open thread if you are not a mod XD. ADMINS! A LITTLE HELP HERE!

Spock thinks abstractely - Ss can do it! - but doesn't choose the new way over the old when there is a real crisis and lack of time...ok, he seems not so ISTJ compared to T'Pol (how was that...'Vulcan Science Academy determined that time-travel is not possible'. Ick!) or Sarek...

Now please stop me, there are a lot of topics for ST MBTI in the MBTI subsection

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I don't think there's anything wrong with enjoying the character relationships.

My theory is that Spock, McCoy, and Kirk together almost make one full person. :crazy:

Spock is the brains. He uses strict logic to make decisions, often to great effect--he's usually right. The negative side of this is that sometimes Spock doesn't realize that other people aren't as logical as he is (I think that's why he loses games of chess to Kirk.) Also, his strict adherence to logic sometimes leaves him stuck between several options which are all equally logical given a lack of information.

McCoy is the heart. He uses his great compassion, not really to make decisions, but to be the voice of ethical concern. This scenario gets played out over and over: Kirk gets in trouble, so Spock is in command. McCoy yells at Spock about how much danger Kirk is in and how Spock isn't doing anything to help him. Spock rationally explains several times that he can't do anything because some alien force is preventing him. McCoy doesn't listen and continues to complain. McCoy also gets upset whenever the enterprise is forced to let any group get hurt, regardless if it's the most logical choice. The negative side of this is that, well, McCoy is normally wrong and is usually not listened to on the big questions. The positive side of this is that he never lets command forget that, damnit, there are people getting hurt and Spock isn't doing anything about it!

Kirk is the gut. He's the impulsive one who strongly trusts his intuition and his instincts on what the best thing to do is. The negative side of this is rashness and aggression, but the positive side is that after listening to Spock and McCoy argue, he has the strength of will to make a decision.

This is why the three work the best together. They're the yin to each other's yang. It's also why they're so entertaining to watch interact. Spock and McCoy arguments are especially fun.
Hey you, I know you. :crazy:

And it's the primary Star Trek trio. *Almost* one whole person. lol. How absolutely true.

4,757 Posts
It's also why they're so entertaining to watch interact. Spock and McCoy arguments are especially fun.
I have to admit that one of my favourite things is when McCoy has Spock's katra and he acquires some of Spock's mannerisms. Oh man, when he tried to do the neck pinch :laughing:

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've seen a few episodes of TNG and it's pretty awesome. I just haven't gotten around to watching more of it yet. Data is my favorite character, I must say.

My INTP dad is obsessed with Star Trek. His favorite is TNG, hence my seeing a few episodes of it. He forced me to watch an episode once even though I was doing something else because it was full of important life lessons or something. It was pretty cool though, so I can't complain, but he definitely threatened to take away my computer if I didn't watch it. He even watches Star Trek in the shower and sometimes refuses to drive me places because he's too busy watching Star Trek. Total Trekkie.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts