Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What types do you think all the Star Trek characters are? These are just my guesses...

Star Trek Original Series

Kirk: ESTP
Spock: INTJ (the same as most Vulcans, I would think)
McCoy: ESFJ
Scotty: ISTP
Sulu: ESTJ
Uhura: ESFP
Chekov: ENFP

Star Trek: The Next Generation
Picard: INFJ
Riker: ESTP
Data: Not sure... he is an android after all.
Tasha Yar: ENTP
Worf: INTP
Geordi: ISTP
Troi: INFP
Crusher: ENFJ
Wesley: SHUT UP WESLEY! (ENFP, maybe?)

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
Sisko: ISTJ
Kira: ESTJ
Odo: INTJ
Bashir: ESFJ
Jadzia Dax: ESFP
O'Brien: ENFP
Jake Sisko: ISFP
Quark: ENTP

Star Trek: Voyager
Janeway: ENTJ
Chakotay: ISTJ
Tuvok: INTJ
Paris: ESTP
Torres: ESTJ
Harry Kim: ISFJ
The Doctor: ENTP
Neelix: ESFP
Kes: INFP
Seven of Nine: INTP

Star Trek: Enterprise
Archer: ESTJ
T'Pol: INTJ
Tucker: ESFJ
Reed: ISTJ
Hoshi: ISFP
Mayweather: ENFP (Though he was basically invisible for the whole show, so it's hard to say.)
Phlox: ESFP

·
Banned
4,790 Posts
Picard *INTJ1w9
Riker *ESTJ3w2
Worf *ISTJ1w2
Geordi *ISFP6w7 / 9
Troi *INFJ2w1
Crusher *ESFJ2w3

Sisko *xSTP3w4
Kira *ESFP6w7cp
Odo *ISTJ1w9
Bashir *INFP7w6
Jadzia *ENTP7w8
O'Brien *ISTP/ISFJ6w5
QuarkENTP3w2

JanewayENTJ/ESFP3w4
Chakotay *ENFJ9w1
TuvokINTJ5w6
ParisESTP7w6
Torres *ISTP6w5
HarryISFJ6w7/9w1
The Doctor *ESTJ3w4
NeelixENFJ7w6
KesINFP2w1
Seven of Nine *INTJ1w9

Put asterisks by the ones I disagreed with. And I just realized how much ST likes their 3/6s with a bit of 7 and 2 and 1. Hm... Well, their tritypes would be quite varied, at least.

EDIT: Added tables because I'm bored.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
TOS-
Kirk-ENTP
Spock-INTJ
Mccoy-ISFJ
Scotty-ISTJ
Chekov-ENFP
Uhura-INFJ
Sulu-ISTP

TNG-
Picard-INTP
Riker-ESTP
Geordi-ISTJ
Worf-ISTJ
Troi-INFP
Beverly Crusher-ENFJ
Wesley Crusher-INFJ
Data can't really be typed, IMO. He superficially resembles an INTP

Ds9
Sisko-ISTJ
Major Kira-ESTJ
Odo-ISTJ
O'Brien-ISTP
Jadzia-ENTP
Bashir-INTP
Quark-ESFP

Voyager-
Janeway-INTJ
Chakotay-ESTP
Seven of Nine-ISTJ
Tuvok-ISTJ
Paris-ENTP
Torres-ISFJ
Harry-ISFJ
Neelix-ESFP
Kes-INFP
Like Data, I don't really think The Doctor can be typed

Enterprise-
Archer-ISxJ
T'Pol-INTP
Trip-ESFP
Malcom-INTP
Phlox-ENFJ
Hoshi-INFJ
Travis-ISTP

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Picard: INTJ
Data: INTP
Tasha Yar: ISTP
Worf: ISTJ
Crusher: INFJ
Wesley: INFP

Sisko: INFJ
Kira: ENFJ
Odo: ISTJ
Bashir: INFP
Jadzia Dax: ENTP
O'Brien: ISTP
Quark: ESTP

·
Registered
351 Posts
Star Trek Original Series:
Christopher Pike - ENTJ
Number One - ISTJ
J.M. Colt - INFP
Spock - INTJ
Kirk - ESTP
McCoy - ESFJ
Uhura - ISFJ
Scotty - ESTP
Sulu - ISTP
Chekov - ENFP

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Updated list from me, taking some of your comments into consideration as well as my own opinions...

Star Trek Original Series
Spock: INTJ
Scotty: ISTP
Sulu: ISTJ
Chekov: ENFP

Data: ?
Tasha Yar: ESFP
Troi: ISFJ
Crusher: ESFJ
Wesley: INFP

Sisko: ENFJ
Kira: ESTJ
Bashir: INFP
Jadzia Dax: ENTP
O'Brien: ISFP

Janeway: ENTJ
Chakotay: ISTJ
Tuvok: INTJ
Paris: ESTP
Torres: ESTJ
Harry Kim: ISFJ
The Doctor: ENTP
Neelix: ESFP
Kes: INFP
Seven of Nine: INTJ

Star Trek: Enterprise

Archer: ESFJ
T'Pol: INTJ
Tucker: ESFJ
Hoshi: ISFP
Mayweather: INFP
Phlox: ESFP

·
Registered
46 Posts
TOS

No idea on the others.

TNG

Picard: INTJ (He Te's more than he Fe's)
Riker: ExTJ
Geordi: ESTP???
Crusher: Either INFJ or ISFP, can't decide if Ni or Si dom
Wesley: I tended to ignore him whenever he talked, so I don't know
Tasha: ISTP???
Q: ENTP

DS9 (my favorite)

The Sisko: I honestly don't know. He changed a lot from the beginning of the series to the end. At first he seemed like a hardcore ESTJ but then at the end his Ni was all over the place. So maybe INFJ?
Kira: ESxJ
Jadzia: ENFP
Ezri: Maybe INFP???? Just a guess.
Bashir: xNFP?????
Garak: ENTP
Winn: ESTJ
Weyoun: ESTP
Dukat: Ehhhhhh...ENTJ???????
Rom: ISFP

NTs and SJs seem under represented now that I look at it. Full of SPs and NFs.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
I hope it's alright to revive this thread. I was thinking about this today and figured there had to be a thread on it somewhere.

The one I thought the most about was Captain Kirk. As an ENTP I tried to think about which characters I'm most like. And I came to Kirk. I see that there are two major opinions on him: ENTP and ESTP. I honestly can see both. Is he a feeler? Not really. He's horny as all hell, but... he doesn't maintain relationships. He does sometimes have that "jump first, think later" tendency, like an ESTP. But he's really good about keeping his cool under pressure and making rational decisions in a pinch, like an ENTP. He's a puzzle to me.

The other one I find really interesting is Q (TNG/Voyager). I saw someone put him as ENTP. As an ENTP I find that very flattering because he is one of the most interesting characters in all of Trek lore, IMHO. ;) But if pressed, I think I would classify him as more of a ENTJ. His enjoyment in manipulating others and his feelings of superiority and emotional distance make me think he's more of a J than a P.

I would be really interested in keeping this discussion going!

EDIT: Just thinking about it more, I think Kirk is probably more of an adventurer than and intellectual. So I decided that in my opinion he's more of an ESTP than and ENTP.

·
Banned
28 Posts
Kirk: ENFP
McCoy: ENFJ
Uhura: INFJ
Sulu: INTP
Chekhov: ENTP
Scotty: ESFJ

The original series is the only series I ever liked.

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Enterprise
Archer: ESFJ
Trip: ESFP
Hoshi: INFP
T'pol: INTJ
Phlox: ENFP

TOS
Kirk: ENFP in the show, ENTP in the TOS movies, ESFP in the reboots
Spock: ISTJ
Scotty: ENTP
Uhura: ISFP
Chekov: ISFP
Sulu: ISTP
Nurse Chapel: INFP

TNG
Riker: ExTJ
Geordi: INTP
Tasha Yar: ISTP
Dr. Crusher: ESFJ
O'Brien: ISTP
Troi: ISFJ
Wesely: Nerd

DS9
Kira: ISFP
Odo: Comes off like a caricature of an ISTJ, but I think he's ISTP. Seems very Ti-Se
Jadzia Dax: ExTP
Jake: INFP
Ezri: ENFP
Vick: xSFP
Rom: INTP
Leeta: ESFP
Martok: xSTP
Admiral Ross: ??????
Damar: INTJ
Sisko's dad: ESFJ
Kai Winn: ESFJ
Female Changling: INFJ
Weyoun: ESFP. ESTP isn't out of the question, but he seems pretty strongly Fi
Dukat: ExTJ, a VERY undeveloped one either way.
Bashir: ENFP

Voyager
Captain Janeway: ESTJ
Tuvok: ISTJ
Chakotay: ISFJ
Harry Kim: INTP
Torres: ISFP
Tom Paris ESTP.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I agree with much of Rebelgoatalliance's picks.

TOS:
Kirk: ENTP
Spock: ISTJ:

TNG
Picard: ENTJ
Riker: ESTJ
Troi: INFJ
Data: A typical INTP:

DS9
Kira: ISFP
Jake: INFP
Damar: INTJ

Voyager
Captain Janeway: ESTJ
Tuvok: ISTJ
Chakotay: ISFJ
Harry Kim: INTP
Tom Paris ESTP
Seven of Nine A very typical INTJ :

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Would like to change a few of mine though (mostly DS9 characters having recently finished a rewatch).
Sulu: From ISTP to ambiguous xSTP
Riker: From ENTJ to ESTJ
Quark: ENTP to ExTP. Seems like a Ne user but is so aggressively sensorish as far as dichotomy goes that it's hard to call him an ENTP.
Female Changeling: INFJ to ISFJ, but I'm still not super confident with it. She might be too alien to type correctly.
Martok: xSTP to straight up ESTP
Seven of Nine: Agree with INTJ
Also want to add in The Doctor from Voyager: INFP.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Would like to change a few of mine though (mostly DS9 characters having recently finished a rewatch).
Sulu: From ISTP to ambiguous xSTP
Riker: From ENTJ to ESTJ
Quark: ENTP to ExTP. Seems like a Ne user but is so aggressively sensorish as far as dichotomy goes that it's hard to call him an ENTP.
Female Changeling: INFJ to ISFJ, but I'm still not super confident with it. She might be too alien to type correctly.
Martok: xSTP to straight up ESTP
Seven of Nine: Agree with INTJ
Also want to add in The Doctor from Voyager: INFP.
Wesley nerd hahahahahahahahaha

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Rewatching TNG.

Dianna: ISFJ
Dr. Crusher: ESFJ
Worf: ISxJ (I see him more Fe. He's very concerned for others and reacts mostly on emotions. Also very expressive.)
Geordi: IxTP (Leaning to Ne, will update as I watch.)
Wesley: ISTP
Guinan: INFJ
Pulanski: xSTJ (She seems to be leading with Te but also shows strong Si and has trouble accepting new ideas.)

·
Registered
16 Posts
TNG

Picard - INTJ, Choleric-Melancholic, 1w9.
Riker - ESTP, Choleric-Sanguine*, 8w7.
Data - INTP, Phlegmatic-Sanguine, 5w6.
Deanna - INFJ, Melancholic-Sanguine*, 2w1.
I don't know enough beyond this for the rest of them.

VOY

Janeway: ENFJ, Choleric-Sanguine, 8w7. I'm super serious. I think she has balls of steel, but is very emotional. However, being emotional doesn't mean incapable of tactical decisions, especially with all the training she's had. Just had 2 point that out. Thnx.
Chakotay: IxFP, meh, 9w8. I could be argued into ISFP or INFP, and Idk. Melancholic Choleric?
Tuvok: INTP, Melancholic-Choleric, 5w4. I don't think he's very 1, and I don't think he's an ISTJ. He goes against protocol to spare Janeway the decision of having to do so herself, because it is 'logical.' I think he cares for more for logic, especially in regards to containing his rage (loosely equating here to Fe for brevity's sake. Rage can be any F, and harnessed either healthily or unhealthily. This is not brief. Oh god.) And Ti seeks to repress Fe due to discomfort with it.
Doctor: At first: INFP, Phlegmatic-Melancholic, 4w3. He changes to be ENTP, Sanguine-Phlegmatic, 3w4. I wouldn't ordinarily say that's possible, but his subroutines are ............ changing idk man let me live.
Harry Kim: ISFJ, Phlegmatic-Melancholic, 1w9.
Tom Paris: ESTP, Sanguine-Melancholic, 7w6.
B'Elanna Torres: ESTJ, Choleric-Melancholic, 6w7.
Seven of Nine: INTP, Choleric-Phlegmatic, 1w9.
Neelix: ESFJ, Sanguine-Phlegmatic, 2w3. It explains a lot of why Tuvok is horrified by him. Horrified.
Kes: INFJ, Phlegmatic-Sanguine, 9w1.

Anyway, I really like Voyager so if anyone wants to jam about differences that would be great : )

·
Registered
987 Posts
TNG

Anyway, I really like Voyager so if anyone wants to jam about differences that would be great : )
Huzzah, Star Trek!

Voyager was a big disappointment for me (seriously: I enthusiastically taped the first episode when it aired and it went downhill from there) and though I've seen most of the episodes, it has been a while since I don't rewatch it other than catching reruns, so I will ultimately bow to your expertise, but "jam(ming) about differences" sounds fun, so here I am.

Janeway: Agreed on FJ. Not so sure about the other two letters. Probably NFJ. I might venture INFJ though; she seemed somewhat detached and liked to spend her personal time role-playing novels and meeting historical figures in the holodeck if I recall correctly.
Chakotay: INF. INFP, I suppose. Really big on mystical nonsense that shouldn't have been given that much time in a Sci-Fi show.
Tuvok: INTP? Really? He struck me as standard Vulcan ISTJ. My most vivid memory of him was him trying to force the Maquis to behave and train per strict Starfleet regulations, with predictably hilarious results.
Doctor: He's a hologram. I refuse to assign computer programs personality types, even if they were portrayed in ways that were far too human for a computer program. (Okay, I can't resist, I'd say IxTJ.).
Harry: CUTE. (I honestly don't remember his personality. Did he have one? Other than "sweet-tempered," I mean?)
Tom: Yeah, ESTP seems about right.
B'Elanna: I would have thought ENTx.
7: I'll go with what you said just because I'm an INTP and I liked her characterization. Pretty sure most of the time I've seen INTJ assigned to her.
Neelix: I figured ESFP. He was pretty random. And he lived in a junkyard of chaos (or maybe it was just a junky ship of chaos) if I remember right. And I do enjoy Tuvok being horrified by him. (I like anything that knocks stiff, arrogant, I-am-more-serious-than-anyone characters off-balance. The DS9 baseball game against the Vulcans is one of my favorite things.) Really, I just remember him most taking a bath with water glasses everywhere.
Kes: ISFP? I remember her being pretty rebellious, in a quiet way. Doing things that showed adventurous lack of foresight like going to the surface and getting caught by Kazon, which my iPad wants to correct to "kazoo," which would be about 538 times more entertaining. As I recall, she had an incredible memory for detail.

For TNG:

Picard - INTJ
Riker - I would say ESTJ.
Data - HE'S A ROBOT! I refuse.
Deanna - INFx.

For the Superior Trek:

xNFJ: The Sisko
INFJ: Kasidy
INFP: Jake
ENFP: Ezri Dax, Leeta
ENFJ: Julian Bashir, Ziyal

ESFx: Kira Nerys
ESFJ: Dukat, Weyoun
ISTJ: Odo
ESTJ: Quark, Nog, Sirella, Brunt (FCA), Winn Adami, Damar, Enabran Tain
ISFJ: Miles, Worf

ENTP: Jadzia Dax
ENTJ: Garak
INTP: possibly Rom

ESTP: Martok

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ah! I didn't expect a reply so quickly. You have so many interesting things to say, so I'm just gonna reply to them bit by bit 8)
the jamming has begun.

Janeway: Agreed on FJ. Not so sure about the other two letters. Probably NFJ. I might venture INFJ though; she seemed somewhat detached and liked to spend her personal time role-playing novels and meeting historical figures in the holodeck if I recall correctly.
I think INFJ is a great guess - she is quite detached and distant from her crew, and she does tend to have the social/alone dynamic going on that so many INFJs have mastered. I lean toward ENFJ because I think her reservedness comes from her strict adherence to Starfleet protocols, her very pervasive feeling that the crew 'must' perceive her to be a certain way (more infallible and less vulnerable) and I think I see her spiral more into Fe-Se (impulsive, aggressive, emotional decisions) when in unhealthy, depressive states, than I do Ni-Ti (introspection, paranoia, and brooding). Also, when pushed, she tends to direct a very cold and critical fury at one person in particular and cuts herself away from all relationships even healthy or beneficial ones (it happens a few times with Chakotay when they make a deal with the Borg, and in the season 5 finale.) I really can still see INFJ!

Chakotay: INF. INFP, I suppose. Really big on mystical nonsense that shouldn't have been given that much time in a Sci-Fi show.
Tuvok: INTP? Really? He struck me as standard Vulcan ISTJ. My most vivid memory of him was him trying to force the Maquis to behave and train per strict Starfleet regulations, with predictably hilarious results.
I'll just take this two at a time bc I don't care that much about Chakotay. But yeah! Anytime he has to express his true feelings, he uses a metaphor or allegory. He is particularly concerned with whether the deal they make with the Borg is ethical, and the lasting consequences it will have.
However! Tuvok is a more interesting case. I thought ISTJ at first as well, and I can still see that. But, there are a few things to consider. I don't think Tuvok ever engages with his surroundings. He remains aloof, reading a book, or playing vulcan chess ("nerd", I call him, as I type a long defence of my wild new theory about Tuvok, the fictional alien, being This type and not That type). I think he has strongly developed Si, but generally he is able to come up with often unconventional solutions to problems - he went undercover (not so unconventional, I grant you) and when Janeway was faced with .. Idk man, all I remember was that it was a choice between stealing a thingy to get them home faster, or leaving without the thingy and respecting their hosts. Tuvok took it upon himself to steal the thingy on the Captain's behalf, because he knew she would want it, and his defence was that they both knew it was the most logical course of action, but the Captain felt herself obliged not to give the order, so he predictably undertook an order he knew she wanted, but never could, give. And I think this demonstrates a will to bend the rules in the name of something greater (their objectives, his belief in logic [a weirdly constructed phrase, I know], and the preempting of Janeway's needs.) Similarly, whenever Tuvok mentors anyone, he tends to focus on more abstract concepts: what emotions mean, and their effects, or how to explore the world of telepathy by telepathy. Similarly, whenever Tuvok loses control, it isn't that he's overdramatic or anxious (unhealthy inferior Ne) but he is just full of rage, and vengeful, projected emotion that he expresses at those he is closest to (unhealthy inferior Fe.) Tuvok is much more likely to engage in a game of Kal Toh or those ..Vulcan adult building blocks he had, than he is to engage in a more physical game. Similarly, he once created a hypothetical holoprogramme of the entire crew to predict what would be the most likely outcomes in a mutinous situation. And then he just ... stops. The programme ends abruptly bc he g̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶e̶d̶ thought it wasn't necessary anymore. Anyway, I guess my point boils down to: just because he's a stick in the mud doesn't mean he's an ISTJ.
Also, that jazzy purple robe he sleeps in? ONLY an INTP would wear it. I swear. It's scientific fact.

Doctor: He's a hologram. I refuse to assign computer programs personality types, even if they were portrayed in ways that were far too human for a computer program. (Okay, I can't resist, I'd say IxTJ.).
Harry: CUTE. (I honestly don't remember his personality. Did he have one? Other than "sweet-tempered," I mean?)
Tom: Yeah, ESTP seems about right.
B'Elanna: I would have thought ENTx.
Doctor: I'd be happy to settle him as "up his own bum with brief moments of sincerity"
Harry: Agreed!
B'Elanna: That's an excellent point, actually. She actually is a bit of a grease monkey - but always ingenius with her designs. I am certain she's ExTJ - and now, because of your input, ENTJ is my guess.

7: I'll go with what you said just because I'm an INTP and I liked her characterization. Pretty sure most of the time I've seen INTJ assigned to her.
Yesss, she usually is typed as INTJ. But I think she's stuck in the past a lot, and just a little tactless. It's more efficient that way.

Neelix: I figured ESFP. He was pretty random. And he lived in a junkyard of chaos (or maybe it was just a junky ship of chaos) if I remember right. And I do enjoy Tuvok being horrified by him. (I like anything that knocks stiff, arrogant, I-am-more-serious-than-anyone characters off-balance. The DS9 baseball game against the Vulcans is one of my favorite things.) Really, I just remember him most taking a bath with water glasses everywhere.
Kes: ISFP? I remember her being pretty rebellious, in a quiet way. Doing things that showed adventurous lack of foresight like going to the surface and getting caught by Kazon, which my iPad wants to correct to "kazoo," which would be about 538 times more entertaining. As I recall, she had an incredible memory for detail.
For Neelix (who I keep accidentally calling Netflix.) I think he could be an ESFJ, and he's quite possessive of Kes, and wants to provide for the crew. I am inclined to believe he values social tradition and celebration (for togetherness) rather than novelty and spontaneity - but he is chaotic, and he is ... bubbly. My reasoning isn't together on it very much, I would love to hear more ideas and compare.
As for Kes, I thinkkkkk that's actually a really wonderful point. I think you're right. Her rebellion is a very quiet, gentle sort, and she does find the idea of taking a ship with an alien and riding off into the distance for a while to be very compelling - something so spontaneous that I don't think an INFJ would enjoy, unless it was necessary in some way, or they saw a future in it.

Actually, in regards to Riker and Deanna, I see ESTx and INFx get thrown around near constantly. It seems correct, I just don't know any good arguments one way or another.

For the Superior Trek:

Ded. But yeah, I agree with all your typings! I have not seen that much of DS9, which I hope to rectify in the future. The only one I see less is Quark as an ESTJ - I had pegged him for an ESTP from my watching so far, but you no doubt have a much more in-depth reasoning than I have. Also, my friend typed Julian as an ENTJ, and the internet at large seems to believe he's an ENFP. Do you think those answers could be correct? I'd love to hear your thoughts 8) - and thanks for engaging! This was fun.

·
Registered
987 Posts
However! Tuvok is a more interesting case. I thought ISTJ at first as well, and I can still see that. But, there are a few things to consider. I don't think Tuvok ever engages with his surroundings. He remains aloof, reading a book, or playing vulcan chess ("nerd", I call him, as I type a long defence of my wild new theory about Tuvok, the fictional alien, being This type and not That type). I think he has strongly developed Si, but generally he is able to come up with often unconventional solutions to problems - he went undercover (not so unconventional, I grant you) and when Janeway was faced with .. Idk man, all I remember was that it was a choice between stealing a thingy to get them home faster, or leaving without the thingy and respecting their hosts. Tuvok took it upon himself to steal the thingy on the Captain's behalf, because he knew she would want it, and his defence was that they both knew it was the most logical course of action, but the Captain felt herself obliged not to give the order, so he predictably undertook an order he knew she wanted, but never could, give. And I think this demonstrates a will to bend the rules in the name of something greater (their objectives, his belief in logic [a weirdly constructed phrase, I know], and the preempting of Janeway's needs.) Similarly, whenever Tuvok mentors anyone, he tends to focus on more abstract concepts: what emotions mean, and their effects, or how to explore the world of telepathy by telepathy. Similarly, whenever Tuvok loses control, it isn't that he's overdramatic or anxious (unhealthy inferior Ne) but he is just full of rage, and vengeful, projected emotion that he expresses at those he is closest to (unhealthy inferior Fe.) Tuvok is much more likely to engage in a game of Kal Toh or those ..Vulcan adult building blocks he had, than he is to engage in a more physical game. Similarly, he once created a hypothetical holoprogramme of the entire crew to predict what would be the most likely outcomes in a mutinous situation. And then he just ... stops. The programme ends abruptly bc he g̶o̶t̶ ̶b̶o̶r̶e̶d̶ thought it wasn't necessary anymore. Anyway, I guess my point boils down to: just because he's a stick in the mud doesn't mean he's an ISTJ.
Also, that jazzy purple robe he sleeps in? ONLY an INTP would wear it. I swear. It's scientific fact.
I remember the episode about stealing the thingy. Unfortunately, I don't remember enough about it other than that it annoyed me. I think I thought it should have worked with the captain then suffering from the moral dilemma of success and helping your crew through illicit means rather than ending with a "Haha, you were bad and stole the thingy, and now it doesn't work, that's what you GET!" kind of ending. I do remember Janeway being impressively angry at Tuvok for a minute. I'm not sure how I would interpret Tuvok's unconventional solution in this episode. It doesn't seem very ISTJ, so I'll give you the point there. I could see IxTP there.

As for Tuvok mentoring abstractly, that to me just seems to me to be more the fact that he is a strict fundamentalist and has memorized his religion inside and out. Let me take the opportunity to share my thoughts on Vulcans for a bit. I think Surak may have been an INTP. His philosophy seems fairly INTP-ish: make a better, kinder society through taming emotions. However, I think SJs are likely the majority in the Vulcan population, and they took this good philosophy and and simplified and rule-bound it almost beyond recognition. Now it is: improve society by suppressing your emotions, and memorize and follow every rule regarding this as strictly as possible. Afterwards, smugly lord it over the rest of the universe how superior you are because your people found The Answer. Here, Tuvok could be just reciting long-memorized Vulcan techniques. Honestly, in such a strict, rule-bound, high-pressure society, it is hard to imagine what an INTP Vulcan would look like (though my husband claims I'm one). I'm pretty sure I would fall behind in the memorization in school and eventually completely break down and rebel. Perhaps a successful one would end up coming across as more ISTJ because that is the behavior needed to survive in such a repressive society. I'm not sure that they would be so ISTJ in private, though.

When does Tuvok break down (aside from the last episode when he was sick and it was just depressing)? This I do not recall and have to rewatch. I LOVE watching Vulcans fall apart. It fills me with GLEE. I even get a kick out of the episode when the cute one, Vorik I think, falls apart and B'Elanna has to beat him up. (Btw, Tuvok's solution there, "Go relieve yourself with a hologram," however hilarious, wasn't terribly inventive.).

For Neelix (who I keep accidentally calling Netflix.) I think he could be an ESFJ, and he's quite possessive of Kes, and wants to provide for the crew. I am inclined to believe he values social tradition and celebration (for togetherness) rather than novelty and spontaneity - but he is chaotic, and he is ... bubbly. My reasoning isn't together on it very much, I would love to hear more ideas and compare.
Everything seems really in-the-moment for Neelix as I recall. He is very adaptable, but definitely a man without a plan (or maybe with a short-term, ever-changing one). He is a quick thinker. I think he values the social traditions for the social aspect more than the tradition aspect. He doesn't seem very devoted to doing things the way he was brought up to do them. He seems to get mad and then turn around pretty fast, intense flash-of-lightning anger rather than grudges (unless they are very serious).

If we are looking at functions, I can see where you are coming from with an "Fe" lead, but I think that though he does care about the others, ultimately his feelings are really about getting socialization for his own benefit. He's also very flashy and adventurous, which seems Se.

Actually, in regards to Riker and Deanna, I see ESTx and INFx get thrown around near constantly. It seems correct, I just don't know any good arguments one way or another.
Whenever I think about Riker and ESTJ, I think about him and his refusal to accept promotion because he likes being first officer too much. I think he likes being near the top of the food chain, but also likes having a captain. Plus, I think about him and the captain of the Pegasus, and being a model officer to the detriment of so many.

Deanna seems like the typical Chakotay mystical emotional INF sort. "I am the goddess of empathy," bwahaha, oh, Barclay, that was fantastic, marry me.

Unfortunately I ran out of lunch time, so I will have to jam DS9 later.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts