Personality Cafe banner

Star Trek Into Darkness character MBTI?

28K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  BAMlikeaSlam 
#1 ·
What are the personality types in the movie?

I think Kirk is ENTJ, I can't tell about the others ,give your thoughts and ideas or list of characters and the MBTI personality type you think they show in the movie/movies.

#3 ·
I'd say Dr. McCoy (Bones) is an INFJ or an INTJ.

Reactions: Aquarian
#4 ·
hmm, McCoy is not very intuitive of others actions or thoughts, I think he might be more of an ENFJ or something extrovert with judgement being extroverted ,he also goes by his feels

Reactions: Sdsinger and Sonne
#5 ·
Pike: ENTJ 3w2

You think that you can't make mistakes, but there's going to come a moment when you realize you're wrong about that, and you're going to get yourself and everyone under your command killed
Kirk: ESFP 3w4

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do! I only know what I CAN do!
Spock: INTJ 5w4

Kirk: When were you going to tell me that?
Spock: When it became relevant, as it just did.
Bones: ESFJ 1w2

Uhura: INFJ 1w2

Spock, stop! He's the only way we can save Kirk!
Scotty: ENTP 7w6

Kirk: Are you drunk?

Scotty: What I do on my private time is my business, Jim.
Checkov: ENFP 2w1

Khan: ISTJ 1w2 (Crazy Fi)

Intellect alone is useless in a fight, Mr. Spock. You can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break a bone?

#6 ·
Pike: ENTJ 3w2

You think that you can't make mistakes, but there's going to come a moment when you realize you're wrong about that, and you're going to get yourself and everyone under your command killed
Kirk: ESFP 3w4

I have no idea what I'm supposed to do! I only know what I CAN do!
Spock: INTJ 5w4

Kirk: When were you going to tell me that?
Spock: When it became relevant, as it just did.
Bones: ESFJ 1w2

Uhura: INFJ 1w2

Spock, stop! He's the only way we can save Kirk!
Scotty: ENTP 7w6

Kirk: Are you drunk?

Scotty: What I do on my private time is my business, Jim.
Checkov: ENFP 2w1

Khan: ISTJ 1w2 (Crazy Fi)

Intellect alone is useless in a fight, Mr. Spock. You can't even break a rule, how can you be expected to break a bone?
I just saw the movie again today (fourth time, & have loved it every time!), & was trying to decide what types the characters were. And I kept thinking Kirk was an ESFP! (Complete Se + Fi.) I'm glad I'm not the only one. (ESTPs are easier for me to spot than ESFP, & he's certainly an Se dom, but there's no way he's Ti/Fe. He's Fi, no question.) :D

The rest of your characterizations seem pretty spot-on, too. :)

I did think Checkhov might be ISFP, but I wasn't as sure on that one. :)

#7 ·
What are the personality types in the movie?
You are AWESOME for starting a Star Trek thread! Awesome! I just saw the movie Wednesday. I'm not a convention type Trekkie but I have loved it since I was a little kid. And I have thoroughly enjoyed both of the new movies.

Im actually thinking Spock may be INFJ?
Me too! Not Nimoy's Spock. He was truly INTx.

But Quinto's Spock - yes, very INFJ, to my eyes.

although i havent seen ID, basing it off the 2009 one.
Oh, go see it if you possibly can, it's great! And it shows Spock even more clearly as INFJ, IMO.

I'd say Dr. McCoy (Bones) is an INFJ or an INTJ.
I'd guess INFP for Bones. But that's as much basing it on the original series as the movies. He doesn't get very much screen time in Into Darkness. In fact, Simon Pegg's magnificent Scotty gets more than McCoy.

And how about Pegg's Scotty - hard for me to tell.

And what about Zoe Saldana's Uhura? I feel like I should have a guess but I don't. Strong Fe, seems to me. Maybe ENFJ?

Oh! And what about Khan? (Honestly I would type this version of him as INFJ except that he is much too physically coordinated for that :))

I love this thread. I am such a geek.

#10 ·
You are AWESOME for starting a Star Trek thread! Awesome! I just saw the movie Wednesday. I'm not a convention type Trekkie but I have loved it since I was a little kid. And I have thoroughly enjoyed both of the new movies.

Me too! Not Nimoy's Spock. He was truly INTx.

But Quinto's Spock - yes, very INFJ, to my eyes.

Oh, go see it if you possibly can, it's great! And it shows Spock even more clearly as INFJ, IMO.

I'd guess INFP for Bones. But that's as much basing it on the original series as the movies. He doesn't get very much screen time in Into Darkness. In fact, Simon Pegg's magnificent Scotty gets more than McCoy.

And how about Pegg's Scotty - hard for me to tell.

And what about Zoe Saldana's Uhura? I feel like I should have a guess but I don't. Strong Fe, seems to me. Maybe ENFJ?

Oh! And what about Khan? (Honestly I would type this version of him as INFJ except that he is much too physically coordinated for that :))

I love this thread. I am such a geek.
lol yeah I loved the 2009 Star Trek and Into Darkness. Ive watched the Original Series since I was a kid, I loved it because it made space adventurous and introspective. I hated TNG and anything other than the Original Series. The Wrath of Khan was good but the movies to me never had that sense of adventure and fun that the Original Series had. Into Darkness was amazing imo. Spock was a very interesting character in Into Darkness,and I loved where it took his character at the end, thats why you dont mess with an INFJs friends lol jk jk

#8 ·
I am not sure I see Kirk as ESFP. He seems more like an ENTP. I am willing to consider that Spock is INFJ. Of course, he has to manage his feeling or emotional expression because he is vulcan but he definitely shows his feeling side with Uhura and Kirk

when Kirk died
. Uhura seems INFJ, although I wonder why her Ni didn't

pick up on Spock's "feeling or caring" for the crew when he was willing to sacrifice his life in the vulcano.

#28 ·
Uhura seems INFJ, although I wonder why her Ni didn't

pick up on Spock's "feeling or caring" for the crew when he was willing to sacrifice his life in the vulcano.
Maybe, but she also seemed like she could have been an ISFJ as well. :]

Reactions: Likeagoat and Sonne
#13 ·
Spock is an IXTJ. Willing to die for your friends or caring for your friends isn't something an IXTJ is incapable of. The way he contrasts with Kirk with being more mindful of rules and regulations, and approaching the situation with the most logical and pragmatic mind-set possible is pure Te. This new spock just has unstable tertiary Fi because he's insecure that he's half vulcan and half human, and this makes him butt-hurt. Kirk from what I've seen so far seems to be an EXTP. It's hard to tell whether it's dominant Se or Ne, but he definitely has that whole "make it up as I go along" mentality and tactic that a lot of EXTPs have. I agree with Uhura being an ENFJ. Keep in mind, these are all my opinions based off the new movies. My only exposure of the original series is Wrath of Khan.

#18 ·
No INFJ is that extremely logical at the expense of emotion. He's clearly a T. He in fact suffers learning to understand and deal with his own emotions (and to avoid being too logical when human feeling would be best). Hence his Vulcan nature. He suppresses emotion (though since he's a human, he naturally has emotional tendencies). This is a lesson in life T's have to learn, not F's. Only thinking types (and trust me, because I am one) have to learn to be more 'human' and less 'robotic.' This was Quinto's Spock the entire two movies (and it's really the same Spock from the original series). In fact, I would argue that all the characters are pretty much the same, minus some small changes.
I would argue an INFJ with a highly developed T. In the first movie, kid Spock beat the shit out of two kids who were pissing him off. He's MORE emotional, so they say because of his dual human/vulcan heritage. Some INFJ's are repeatedly mistaken for INTJ because it is not obvious how powerful their emotions are. Remember when he exploded at Kirk when his mom died?

INFJ's are only overwhelmed by emotion if put into that state. If not, we are capable of highly logical thought, on par to our INTJ cousins. Which is precisely why many INFJ's are mistaken for INTJ's.

#38 ·
James Kirk - ENFP
When Kirk takes in information, he doesn't just take it as it is, but tries to see, if he can use it for new possibilities. He wants to go beyond the norm, instead of the traditional method. As for making decisions, he finalizes them through his feelings or "gut feeling." Also, his life is very spontaneous and doesn't feel the need to plan ahead, but improv as he goes along.

Spock - ISTJ
Spock wholeheartedly values traditions, but he doesn't explore the possibilities of subjective ideas. When making decisions, he analyzes the situation and uses logical sequences to reach a specific outcome. As a side note for the confusion of his thinking and feeling traits, ISTJs's tertiary function is Fi, which balances the feelings of others and their logical natures. Finally, he is very organized in his thoughts and sticks to his plan without hesitation.

Khan - INXJ
At first, I viewed him as an INTJ, but the more I observed him, I began to obtain mix views toward him. His character is such an interesting study that I feel I need to watch the movie again to receive a more accurate analysis.

#39 ·
Just saw the movie yesterday ;)

Kirk: ESxP as he leads with Se, in the moment, experiential/gut thinking. He prefers taking action to contemplation as seen in the dialogue when he placed spock in charge of the helm. I put him closer to the Ti-Fe axis as he's able to infer Khan's motives and play his game as by using him to get to Marcus, broadcasting the exchange with Marcus to the whole crew, and his general criticism of Spock for having "thrown him under the bus" after saving him.

Spock: IxTJ: Te is clear as he pontificates federation regulations. I put him closer to the Ni-Se axis as there's a sort of repressed Se aggression that is only seen when he fights Khan rather than a flightly catastrophizing Ne.

Khan: ENTJ: The repressed Fi anger is his driving force that volcanoes throughout the film. Ni-Se gives him uncanny predictive power in both scheming and acting in the moment (fight against Klingons amongst others). Te seems sacrificed to inferior Fi. In a way, his functions are inverted due to a pull from the inferior.

#42 ·
She struck me as INFJ almost immediately, but, like you said, she's not in it a lot. My impression might change in subsequent films, if she gets more screen time (as it seems likely she will, given the role she played in Kirk's life in the other timeline).

#45 ·
I'd say Khan was portrayed as an INFJ gone dark. I've never thought about it like that before you mentioned it-- my first impression was, INTJ, but I'd have to agree. Khan is a very, very intelligent INFJ that has gone all out on vengeance. This is interesting, especially since Benedict Cumberbatch has been typed as an INFJ.

#46 ·
I'm pretty sure Kirk is ENTJ. Here's why: he leads with forceful Te, and couldn't care less about social conformity, whether or not his status gives him authority or rules; even when he's not supposed to be on the ship, he has the nerve to rush right up to the captain and wastes no time with niceties. He's also extremely impatient, which is a common trait of ENTJ, and Te doms in general. When he needs to draw emotion out of Spock, he doesn't hesitate for a second to hurt him to get to his goal either (low Fi). He's logical, efficient and able to see and make haphazard plans and adapt on the fly in an almost rapid fire manner, which are all traits of ENTJ- it's said that the function stack placing Se in the third slot makes them more adaptive and in the physical elements than other NT types. He marshals resources in human potential, and takes information from pretty much everyone to serve his visions, another stereotypical trait of the ENTJ. At the beginning, when he's hitting on Uhura, he's charismatic but in an arrogant way, showing off what he knows, not taking no for an answer and not even hesitating to start a fight with half the bar. Think about it, for much of the movie, he's bent on rescuing captain Pike. He plots, plans, maneuvers and strategizes to do just that (high Ni). His character development shows what a decent and more well balanced ENTJ can be like, rather than the standard villain or evil boss persona. He can be empathic, and shows the utmost care for his crew- this is something ENTJs are capable of if they work on themselves.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.