Personality Cafe banner

What is your MBTI and which do you prefer?

• xNTJ - Star Wars

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • xNTJ - Star Trek

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • xNTP - Star Wars

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • xNTP - Star Trek

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • xNFJ - Star Wars

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • xNFJ - Star Trek

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • xNFP - Star Wars

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • xNFP - Star Trek

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • xSTJ - Star Wars

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • xSTJ - Star Trek

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • xSFJ - Star Wars

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • xSFJ - Star Trek

• xSTP - Star Wars

• xSTP - Star Trek

• xSFP - Star Wars

• xSFP - Star Trek

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
(I know it has been done to death but I want to do it anyway).

stvssw.jpg

I was interested in if there was a correlation between MBTI and which science-fiction they prefer.
So please take the poll and leave a comment on which you prefer and why?

I personally prefer Star Trek due to the amazing depth and layers of the characters which I really grew to love. I also like how Star Trek references things which happen have happened in the real world (e.g. WW2 in Deep Space Nine) and gives the audience questions which aren't easily answered. However Star Wars does have better action, spaceships and special effects (hands-down) but Star Trek has a bigger impact on me every time.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I find Star Trek to be better because it seemed cool when I watched the 2009 movie. Star Wars on the other hand doesn't amuse me.

Reactions: Popinjay

·
Registered
5,448 Posts
Though both are entertaining I very much prefer Trek. Star Wars is largely a conglomeration of other fictional genres such as westerns and samurai films with spaceships and lasers to make it more exciting, and it works, it makes for a fun couple of hours. It is however light entertainment, there are no deep questions, no examination of the situation and the characters involved, the bad guys are simply the bad guys and the good guys are simply the good guys and it's typically quite obvious who is on which side of the fence.
In Trek on the other hand theres a different dynamic, Trek was born of the golden age of scifi, inspired largely by the writings of Heinlein, Asimov, Clarke and their peers. Examination of the characters, their ethical and moral tribulations, of the societies in which its based are integral to these stories. Where SW relies of flashing lights and exploding ships, ST's most important scenes often play out sitting around a table in a conference room wrestling with how to accomplish what must be done while holding true to their ideals. SW is about swift resolution of plot points, Trek rarely has such a quick and clean resolution to its plots and theres a lot of grey areas, its a show of questions more than answers. SW is about a small group of heroes saving the galaxy from tyranny, its fun and leaves one with a sense of satisfaction that the good guys will win in the end, more or less. Trek is about making the galaxy a better place for all, and while often not as viscerally satisfying it inspires people to attempt this in reality in a way that SW hasn't managed. Trek has not only inspired many technological innovations but has had a real and marked influence on the behavior of many people helping many refine and calibrate their moral compasses.
I enjoy both of these works very much and I'm glad both exist, but of the two Trek seems to be not only the more enjoyable of the two to me, but also by far the most impactful.

·
Registered
3,607 Posts
I prefer Star Wars especially because of the Expanded Universe. Decades of material written by dozens of authors who go out of their way to not contradict each other and work to create a single coherent fictional universe is impressive to me.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Never been able to get into Star Trek, whereas Star Wars practically defines my childhood. I know the former is objectively more intelligent than the latter, but eh, you like what you like.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I prefer Star Wars especially because of the Expanded Universe. Decades of material written by dozens of authors who go out of their way to not contradict each other and work to create a single coherent fictional universe is impressive to me.
The Star Wars Expanded Universe is hit and miss in the extreme. If Timothy Zahn is writing, everything is probably fine, but there is an absolute ton of stuff in the Star Wars EU I prefer to ignore.

Reactions: Handsome Jack

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
Star Trek is very uniform in believing that the humans are peaceful, good people who have progressed beyond any evil.
Star Wars is better because it actually shows differing voices, everyone is corrupt. The Jedi claim to be the ultimate good, but the Sith say they are just a corrupt organization. There are distrustful non-force users who don't like Jedi. It's such a better portrayal of reality. Plus, Star Trek they fly into a black hole in one episode and the next episode it's like nothing happened.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Star Trek is very uniform in believing that the humans are peaceful, good people who have progressed beyond any evil.
Star Wars is better because it actually shows differing voices, everyone is corrupt. The Jedi claim to be the ultimate good, but the Sith say they are just a corrupt organization. There are distrustful non-force users who don't like Jedi. It's such a better portrayal of reality. Plus, Star Trek they fly into a black hole in one episode and the next episode it's like nothing happened.
I disagree with this. If you look at Deep Space Nine; you see humans struggling to keep on the right track and do good (e.g. the captain deceives people to be on his side which is pretty corrupt stuff). I can't think of one clean-cut hero in that series of Star Trek (DS9 being my personal favorite).

I disagree about Star Wars being a better portrayal of reality and think they are equal here; Star Wars is good at showing how people can become corrupted by a group, how a society split in half would like and theism where as Star Trek is good at analysing history and human nature.

However I do agree that continuity isn't always perfect and there are episodes where big things happen and it is never spoken of again.

·
*Triple Thanks*
3,287 Posts
Star Trek...that is all

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
I like Star Trek, but I like Star Wars better.
You can't really compare them though. Star Trek is (relatively soft) science fiction that takes place in our future. Star Wars is a high fantasy action franchise that just happens to be in space instead of the usual medievalish looking setting.

I also agree with the above that Star Wars is better at depicting human nature. Star Trek (aside from DS9 and Enterprise) tends to go with a painfully unrealistic idealism. Everything in Star Trek is so clean and pure that it just looks wrong. Not that an optimistic utopia is bad, but Star Trek goes so far that it stretches my suspension of disbelief to its breaking point.

Like I said before, I like Star Trek. I spent 3 years methodically going through the entire franchise. It's probably had more impact in the real world, inspiring new technological innovations, inspiring the first African American in space by depicting a crew that wasn't just made up of white men, and the first two series are very good at looking at complex moral dilemmas, probably causing many people to reevaluate some of their long held views. In the grand scheme of things, it's much more important. But I like Star Wars better.

·
Registered
29,014 Posts
I disagree with this. If you look at Deep Space Nine; you see humans struggling to keep on the right track and do good (e.g. the captain deceives people to be on his side which is pretty corrupt stuff). I can't think of one clean-cut hero in that series of Star Trek (DS9 being my personal favorite).

I disagree about Star Wars being a better portrayal of reality and think they are equal here; Star Wars is good at showing how people can become corrupted by a group, how a society split in half would like and theism where as Star Trek is good at analysing history and human nature.

However I do agree that continuity isn't always perfect and there are episodes where big things happen and it is never spoken of again.
I don't know, I never saw deep space nine I can't comment on that.
There's something robotic about Starfleet. Everyone has a rank, everything is stratified. The "human element" as far as I can see is always diametrically opposed to something inhuman. "Prime directive" vs "human ethics." Data wants to be like a human being. But other than that, they are hardly "human", they are just a bunch of soldiers. I don't like that.
In Star Wars, anything rank and file is completely disposable. The stormtroopers are disposable. The battle droids are disposable. The morality is basically an idea of a religious greater good. But it's all in an ambiguous setting, there are giant black markets ruling entire planets. Greed and corruption are widespread. Then there's also a sense of racism. But then there are the great mediators, Jedi. On top of that there are Sith who fundamentally disagree. To me Star Wars seems more Ti/Fe when I describe it that way, but I'm sure someone would disagree. It just seems like a lawlessness and chaos, with the greater good emerging. Star Trek seems like all laws, there are rules about how you deal with emerging civilizations. It's all penned out. The only moral choices are directly specific to a circumstance, I personally don't connect with that concept. The kind of moral choices they make in Star Trek are reserved for thought experiments in real life. Star Wars is about joining a religion and following its idea of goodness. There's no debate, which may or may not be a good thing, but in general I view the world as being more generally ambiguous and chaotic like Star Wars is.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I like Star Trek, but I love Star Wars. I saw episodes 4,5, and 6 for the first time when I was four years old, and I can still remember that day.

To me, Star Wars is a fairytale in space. As a child, I could connect to it on a visceral level. When I got old enough to read the books, I fell in love with the characters, as well. It's an amazing thing to get to follow characters for decades. I'm not a sentimental person, but that is one legacy from childhood that I treasure.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I have never really understood why you are supposed to appreciate one franchise to the exclusion of the other. Having said that, I voted "Star Trek" (although I would have voted "both" if that were an option). I have always loved Star Trek (especially DS9) for many of the reasons that others have posted above. However, I do think Star Wars has some genuine depth once you get through the flashy action sequences. I probably appreciate Star Wars more after having played through KOTOR, too.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
While I respect Star Trek's massive cult following, I just couldn't seem to get into it any time I ever gave it a shot. I guess part of it is that to me, it always felt a little slower paced than it should be. Not to mention, as cheesy as this is, I think the story in Star Wars is similar to classic tales of good vs. evil, a small rebellion against a much large corrupt empire, etc., which are universal things just about everyone can relate to.

·
Registered
3,053 Posts
While I dabbled in both when I was a child, I'm definitely more in the Trekkie camp due to my personal interest (DS9 was the turning point for me) and my dad - a major TOS fan.

I remember visiting Star Trek: The Experience in Las Vegas every year when I was a kid :kitteh:.

Reactions: Enygmatic

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is like asking if I love my mom or dad more. Star Wars, but only because I have a huge collection of EU books (Timothy Zahn anything) and games (KOTOR 1, KOTOR 2, SWTOR) to better immerse me in the world.

I know ST diehards turn their noses up at Voyager but I'm always all about Janeway.

·
Banned
16,000 Posts
Star Trek has such consistent good writing -- even in ridiculous plots. I hated Voyager and stopped watching but just one off the top of my head: the transporter incident where the black Vulcan and that idiot alien chef were merged into a new person. Ridiculous plot. lol. But actually touched on a real philosophical issue that was handled well. The crew wants fix the accident, to separate them back into two people but the new consciousness insists he is a person with rights and doesn't want to die. Another from Voyager: these aliens created these robots to fight their wars; the aliens have been dead for centuries but their robots keep fighting each other. They don't know why anymore.

DS9 was probably my favorite. The Jem'hadar are fuckin awesome. They wake up dead everyday and reclaim their lives. Life itself is victory.

"I am First Omet'iklan, and I am dead. As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives. This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Remember, victory is life."

One of my favorite scenes was when they were testing Worf. They rarely get Klingons and they are known for being warriors. They beat up Worf but he won't stay down. Worf refuses to yield so the Jem'hadar yields.

Worf has five victories against Jem'Hadar, he truly has the spirit of Kahless within him. Worf howls in victory. 3-4 broken ribs. I will not yield. Then I will die.

Martok – Worf, honor has been satisfied, stay down.
Worf – I will not yield!
Ikat’ika – I yield. I cannot defeat this Klingon. All I can do is kill him, and that no longer holds my interest.

And a great one from TNG:

The Ferengi and humans are under control of a God; this God knows nothing of either species and asks each why he should favor them. The Ferengi try to pull a fast one obviously and slander humans. But Riker stays strong.

PORTAL: Barbarians all! But this one first, in the fashion the Empire has always challenged savages.
WORF: No! For battle, come to me!
RIKER: No! That's an order.
PORTAL: You have a single chance for life. One only. What is the answer to my challenge? I offer a thought. He will triumph who knows when to fight and when not to fight. You are being tested, Riker! What is the answer?
RIKER: How do you know my name?
(Portal whirls his staff, bringing it to a sudden stop by Riker's right ear. He doesn't flinch)
PORTAL: Ahhh. You are facing fate with composure. But what is the answer to my challenge?
RIKER: Fear is the true enemy, the only enemy.
(Portal lowers his staff, and becomes friendly and chatty)
PORTAL: Unlike these little ones who close their minds, your mind holds interesting thoughts. Know your enemy and know yourself, and you will always be victorious. Why that thought? And who is this Sun Tzu you revere?
RIKER: An old Chinese philosopher from ancient Earth history.
PORTAL: You must tell me more of this wisdom, so much like our own.
RIKER: Gladly. But first our starship. Can you release it?
PORTAL: It is released. All power is restored.

and another from DS9:

·
Fu Dominant
10,720 Posts
I adore Gene Roddenberry's take on Star Trek, as cheesey as it might get at times. I like it less when it strays from that view, but overall I just like the possibility that we could get there someday, even if we probably never will. And so many things exist for real because of Star Trek these days. Communicators = cell phones. TNG touchscreens = real working touchscreens now. PADDs = iPads and tablets. Ship-to-ship Viewscreen = Skype.

Where's our working lightsaber, Star Wars???? :tongue: Or blaster??? Or magic fingertip lightening????

Oh, right...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts