Personality Cafe banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interested to see which types are more open to meditation and which are not.

My type: INTJ

Experience -

It was the most important key to getting over my depression and anxiety. It has shown me a way out of fear and the narratives inside our inner worlds that cause us suffering and has made me more interested in Enlightenments.

I used to have a massive allergic reaction to spiritual things, but now I'm open, as long as it's not about belief but about going into your own experience and finding out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
INTP
I've been meditating since I was eighteen(About to turn 29). I stopped at the onset of my schizophrenia, and got back into it a couple of years later. It's usually what I use to combat voices, anxiety, and depression before any medication. I'm blessed to have started meditation early and meditated several hours a day. Needless to say, I'm very practiced with controlling my thoughts.

I have more to learn, but mindfulness meditation has been key to my growth lately. Just sitting, listening, and breathing...

·
Registered
17 Posts
ENFP

I am open to these type of spiritual things and I think they can be useful however I got easily bored because I just have to sit there??

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ENFP

I am open to these type of spiritual things and I think they can be useful however I got easily bored because I just have to sit there??
Yes, I understand sometimes the feeling of boredom can come up when meditating, just like it can come up when you are trying to keep up a work out regime.

The key to being at peace is being in a state of... well... just being... for a significant period of your day.

If you are just sitting, then you're allowing whatever is to be, and allowing things to be as they are eventually can bring a state of contentment with life.

Resistance and overreacting to negative experiences causes suffering. Allowing/accepting them dissolves them.

·
Plague Doctor
INTJ, 5w4, Ni-T type
6,039 Posts
INTJ

Meditation is a really great tool for me to quiet my mind and focus. I use it pretty regularly, but not daily or even weekly. I have found it's also an amazing tool for my 10 y/o NF daughter to help with her tendency toward excitability.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm INTJ too.
Meditation is truly a great thing. It helps me after long and tiring day or when I have the difficult day ahead and I need to mentally prepare for it. Or when I have to think about some problems. It's good for health, both mental and physical. Helps with stress, improves focus and lowers blood pressure - very important thing for me because I'm dealing with tachycardia.

·
MOTM January 2013
10,622 Posts
INFP

Meditation sounds very appealing, especially if you have an anxious mind like myself. Accompanying philosophies are valued in conjunct with meditative practises. When practising it, it's more difficult maintaining stillness of thought, your mind is constantly moving, it's hard at first to get a grip on it until you have been practising for some time. And when it's over, you look at the world in a more balanced way.

·
Registered
10,011 Posts
Tehe this dude captures alot of my view on meditation. :laughing:

Um so I will say I have had plenty of exposure to it. Yoga is a regular theme in wellness programs at my work. Um I clearly am not the person who leads Yoga. (Definitely more of the Aerobics Coach person). Being real I see benefits to adding a calmness to ones self by forcing the self to stop and do exercises to relax the body and mind.

Really I do. I definitely think the breathing and stretching techniques are beneficial. I just roll my eyes when it starts getting into more hokey added elements. As I said I work along side it. But I definitely personally exercise my body and mind better with a bit more adrenaline most of the time. That is how I release negative energy and usually can find more calmness is by burning it out. Just saying me myself and I what I gravitate towards.

So I did work closely with an ENFJ who was extremely into Yoga and Meditation while I am more into the Activity and Aerobics aspect as mentioned of Recreational Therapy, I truly belive that most people would be benefitted utilizing both. On my own I definitely like to go Rollerblade, Dance, or Run to go all 'Eye of the Tiger', obviously she preferred meditation. She did really have to coax me into sitting the fuck down and going thru her Yoga class (she actually mandated me to do it if I didn't have other duties) but I actually noticed with her she was almost too mellow at times externally but internally it was give her anxiety and melancholy.

Anyways I pointed out to her that given her always sedating herself into tranquility and listening to extremely melancholy hipster music always (which I like Indie music too for the record but its not the only music I listen to) anyways I pointed out to her that she was actually not allowing her mind to release all that negative energy even if her body was. Further more I told her that we were totally yin and yang in that way. And explained I actually do release alot mentally thru my body and my exertion of energy but obviously I do not physically relax my body enough. Point truly I believe her and I are good examples of more contrasts and I truly think idealy people need some balance. I think many people misunderstand enlightenment and new aged practices as an answer but you really cannot have one without the other. Many people tell me I need to smoke a joint or do yoga because my energy is pretty intense and I have alot of momentum. Its really hard to just stop when you're going full speed. SO point I do not entirely promote it as a lifestyle unless the persons into it are exercising the other side of it which is getting in touch with well 'Chi'

For the record as far as a thread topic and a discussion I am not mocking it. But like when people do for example like video points out stage and posture enlightenment quests on social media or like in RL group settings (yeah giant barf face). Gawd you don't see me posing strategically running having a staged selfie of my run and oh #killing it running today. So the weirdos who are constantly self promoting and advertising their exercises are bit strange to me. A giant vomit on that.

IMG_1238.JPG

·
Registered
987 Posts
INTP

Meditation: One of the most hellishly boring activities in existence. There is no quieting my brain and its continuous need for input of shiny, new information. Trying to do so makes things agonizingly dull.

·
Banned
15,562 Posts
I am ISTP.

Honestly, I don't like it and while I know it is beneficial for other people I can't see it helping me in any way. I've given it half-assed tries before for school and stuff, but it bores the absolute fuck out of me. I can't get myself to concentrate on it and it ends up being a waste of my time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts