Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. So this is maybe not as scientific as you were expecting, but I think it is interesting anyway. I did a search on the word 'depression' on the INFJ forum and noticed that there were about one thread per day on average that contained the word. I thought this was fairly high, so I decided to check the other type sections for their 'depression quota', and found the following.

The first number is the number of threads where the word 'depression' occurs. The second is the total number of threads in that section. The third number is the percentage of threads where the number 'depression' occurs.

ENTP 57/351=16%
INFP 407/3305=12%
ENFP 137/1282=11%
ENFJ 48/502=9.6%
INFJ 187/1975=9.5%
INTJ 78/950=8.2%
ISFP 26/338=7.7%
INTP 72/1006=7.2%
ISTP 32/475=6.7%
ISFJ 14/230=6.1%
ISTJ 32/539=5.9%
ESFJ 6/140=4.3%
ESTJ 7/180=3.9%
ESTP 9/248=3.6%
ESFP 6/118=3.2%
ENTJ 14/874=1.6%

Apparently INFPs are by far talking more about depression than any other type. Us INFJs do not stand out as much as I had expected, but we are still clearly in the top half. Except for the ENTJs all N-types are in the upper half, and except for the ISFPs all S-types are in the bottom half. F-types in general also score way higher than the corresponding T-type, with some exceptions. I was surprised however to se ENTPs and ENTJs so clearly at the extreme ends of the scale.

The median is around 7%, which means that the types clearly above or below that percentage are significantly different.

Have you noticed this, or anything related? Comments or thoughts?

·
Registered
802 Posts
This is definitely interesting, and I applaud your information-gathering. I think it makes sense that some types would be more prone to depression than other types, and your approach for gathering this information is innovative. I think another method is needed in conjunction, though, to really prove a correlation.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is definitely interesting, and I applaud your information-gathering. I think it makes sense that some types would be more prone to depression than other types, and your approach for gathering this information is innovative. I think another method is needed in conjunction, though, to really prove a correlation.
Yes, I agree this isn't very scientific at all. Probably the most important thing to take note of in this case is that I am not measuring the actual correlation between depression and type. Rather the scores tell us about how much this particular population of people here at PerC talk about depression here on PerC. The sample could be biased to start with, what people talk about here does not necessarily correlate with personal experience, etc etc... It could even be that different types would use the word depression more or less frequently when talking about the phenomenon.

And there are probably more properly conducted studies on this out there somewhere. This was more just something I stumbled on on my way to reading up on how to stop myself from getting stuck in too much negativity again... (For which I by the way can't recommend this thread enough: http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/31660-how-break-out-negativity.html)

·
Registered
5,675 Posts
Wow this is amazing. I'm sure if I showed this to my statistician friend he'd start rambling about sampling errors and population controls etc, but it still speaks volumes :tongue:

I always figured the INFJ/INFP boards had the most depression. ENTP is a real shocker.

Goes to show that appearances are often misleading.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Yea btmangan, I read somewhere that INFPs have the highest population in this forum
Sorry, which types? All NFs and NTs except ENTJ? Or where do you draw the line?
Hmm.. Maybe we all suffer somehow, but it just means the higher percentages have a harder time coping/compromising. It's possible that at least one outcast can exist in each group, as far as in the lowest percentage.. I was interested in your post on Montessori. It's really saying it may all have been decided before birth. We are all here for a purpose.. Some purposes don't fit properly into the system. And specific personalities are needed for specific purposes. I can't rule out any type because I don't know the World's 'big picture' or big plan =P

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm.. Maybe we all suffer somehow, but it just means the higher percentages have a harder time coping/compromising. It's possible that at least one outcast can exist in each group, as far as in the lowest percentage.. I was interested in your post on Montessori. It's really saying it may all have been decided before birth. We are all here for a purpose.. Some purposes don't fit properly into the system. And specific personalities are needed for specific purposes. I can't rule out any type because I don't know the World's 'big picture' or big plan =P
Ok. Thanks... That makes sense... I don't see two (or any other number of) distinct groups in the data either. And yes apparently all groups (as represented here on the forum) talk about depression.

And I think that you are on to something when relating this to the thread on education, but I would suggest it is something more than that, in that we have shaped our culture and society around norms and values that suit some types better than others. And depression can in many cases be a symptom of the state of our society as a whole, as I see it.

I suppose an even broader argument could be made, that the constant struggle for equality and individual freedom (good things in themselves) have made our society unwilling to see the fact that children are not born identical, and that there is much to be gained from accepting and celebrating our inborn identities. But that can easily turn in to an infected political and philosophical debate, and I wouldn't want that here...

I agree with you on the idea of purpose in life, but that we humans tend to twist society and other people to fit our own personal profits and pleasures rather than living life as we were meant to. Sadly it seems we are unable to do otherwise, even if there are glimmers of hope and strands of beauty everywhere. But yes, I believe we are all here for a reason, as the persons we are.

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Wow this is amazing. I'm sure if I showed this to my statistician friend he'd start rambling about sampling errors and population controls etc, but it still speaks volumes :tongue:

I always figured the INFJ/INFP boards had the most depression. ENTP is a real shocker.

Goes to show that appearances are often misleading.
I think INFPs actually have it "rougher" than we do.

We have this "idealized" INFJ thing. You know, the one that gives us all this praise and junk.

I think INFJs should definatley have an awareness of their insight. I grew up thinking that something was wrong with me. I have never actually had depression, though. I just thought that I did. I've lived with confusion and feelings of hopelessness- not an actual chemical imbalance.

Many times people will say that we are more than our type or that the MBTI is just a theory, but all I can say is,

Thank God something has put it into words!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think INFPs actually have it "rougher" than we do.

We have this "idealized" INFJ thing. You know, the one that gives us all this praise and junk.
I live close to one. I tend to agree with you...

I think INFJs should definatley have an awareness of their insight. I grew up thinking that something was wrong with me. I have never actually had depression, though. I just thought that I did. I've lived with confusion and feelings of hopelessness- not an actual chemical imbalance.
I think however it is a mistake to think of depression solely as a biochemical imbalance. But maybe you didn't mean that either?

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
I think however it is a mistake to think of depression solely as a biochemical imbalance. But maybe you didn't mean that either?
Well, I didn't need anti-depressants. I needed something to motivate me.

In order to be motivated, I needed to feel that I was actually "good" at something. I didn't even do extraordinarly well in school like some of the INFJs on here. (I just did OK.)

I've lived vastly surrounded by extroverted sensors. My father is only person that I know extremely well that I can even say is an introvert- he's an ISTP.

Anyway, I don't claim to be an expert on depression, but I don't think that I've ever really had it.

I will study up on it some more before making statements like that I again. I need to anyway.

I've just been out of "research mode" for a while now. I'm concentrating on simply being happy in a state of simplicity....if that makes sense. :happy:

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I didn't need anti-depressants. I needed something to motivate me.

In order to be motivated, I needed to feel that I was actually "good" at something. I didn't even do extraordinarly well in school like some of the INFJs on here. (I just did OK.)

I've lived vastly surrounded by extroverted sensors. My father is only person that I know extremely well that I can even say is an introvert- he's an ISTP.

Anyway, I don't claim to be an expert on depression, but I don't think that I've ever really had it.

I will study up on it some more before making statements like that I again. I need to anyway.

I've just been out of "research mode" for a while now. I'm concentrating on simply being happy in a state of simplicity....if that makes sense. :happy:
Sorry, I'm just a bit sensitive to people wanting to make any and every psychological problem into something that just needs medication, and overreacted. I understand that we have different perspectives, and that that was not what you meant.

I'm very happy for your "new self" and I think that you are on the right track completely. Just don't forget where you came from, and that what you are living now is not all that you are either. :happy:

Reactions: Daveman

·
Banned
1,039 Posts
Sorry, I'm just a bit sensitive to people wanting to make any and every psychological problem into something that just needs medication, and overreacted. I understand that we have different perspectives, and that that was not what you meant.

I'm very happy for your "new self" and I think that you are on the right track completely. Just don't forget where you came from, and that what you are living now is not all that you are either. :happy:
I agree. And yeah, that's not at all what I meant. I didn't need medication, and I never took medication. It was perscribed to me, but I didn't want to rely on it. I wanted to fix the problem myself.

I still think I'm the same person. I was sad a lot and had insecurities and never asserted myself, but none of that was a part of "who I am" in my view.

There is nothing at all "wrong" with INFJs or any other temperament in and of itself, but nobody is perfect, and I don't think that anyone should use MBTI as an excuse to never work on the weak areas that we all have.

Like I've said before, I think the bad thing about MBTI is that people may develop an "us v. them" attitude.

"I'm an introvert. I don't have to ever talk to anybody. I'm independent. Extroverts are shallow-minded, attention-seaking, sheep. I am superior to them."------NO.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Ok. Thanks... That makes sense... I don't see two (or any other number of) distinct groups in the data either. And yes apparently all groups (as represented here on the forum) talk about depression.

And I think that you are on to something when relating this to the thread on education, but I would suggest it is something more than that, in that we have shaped our culture and society around norms and values that suit some types better than others. And depression can in many cases be a symptom of the state of our society as a whole, as I see it.

I suppose an even broader argument could be made, that the constant struggle for equality and individual freedom (good things in themselves) have made our society unwilling to see the fact that children are not born identical, and that there is much to be gained from accepting and celebrating our inborn identities. But that can easily turn in to an infected political and philosophical debate, and I wouldn't want that here...

I agree with you on the idea of purpose in life, but that we humans tend to twist society and other people to fit our own personal profits and pleasures rather than living life as we were meant to. Sadly it seems we are unable to do otherwise, even if there are glimmers of hope and strands of beauty everywhere. But yes, I believe we are all here for a reason, as the persons we are.
Yea, I think that video hit me pretty deeply. I could see the same idea applied also to careers or money, etc...

What I read so far about Montessori is interesting, but this is what made me think of this thread:
In 1906, the opportunity presented itself when Montessori was asked to establish a day-care center for young children in a low-income housing area of Rome's San Lorenzo district. She opened the center in 1907, calling it a Children's House,and began observing the children in the scientific manner indicated before by Seguin. In this process, Dr. Montessori soon discovered that the children responded to the materials with a deep concentration that resulted in a fundamental shift in their way of being, changing from the ordinary behavior of fantasy, inattention, and disorder, to a state of profound peace, calm and order within their environment. Observing this change occurring with all the children in her environment, she concluded that she had discovered the child's true normal nature. Later, Dr. Montessori referred to this change as normalization and the new emerging children as normalized. (link)

I also went to a Montessori school when I was a child but I don't remember much of it. I did wear a uniform =)

It does seem like this world has too many limits, but it seems to be changing.. It's more a non-physical thing to look for, perhaps.^^

·
Registered
802 Posts
Yes, I agree this isn't very scientific at all. Probably the most important thing to take note of in this case is that I am not measuring the actual correlation between depression and type. Rather the scores tell us about how much this particular population of people here at PerC talk about depression here on PerC. The sample could be biased to start with, what people talk about here does not necessarily correlate with personal experience, etc etc... It could even be that different types would use the word depression more or less frequently when talking about the phenomenon.

And there are probably more properly conducted studies on this out there somewhere. This was more just something I stumbled on on my way to reading up on how to stop myself from getting stuck in too much negativity again... (For which I by the way can't recommend this thread enough: http://personalitycafe.com/infj-forum-protectors/31660-how-break-out-negativity.html)
Ah, I'm sorry, my mistake. But your results are very interesting. Not what I would have expected.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Another interesting twist to this is: How much more willing would certain types be to discuss their sadness, online or not?

Regardless, this is neat. As before stated, probably not EXTREMELY 'scientific'. But then again how else do professionals handle psychological aspects? It's a fine line in the psychiatric field with regards to blunt honesty from patients about how we are emotionally; or just confused.

Hell, I myself am scheduled to get my psych's blessing to start anti-depressants and talk therapy on the 27th of this month, but I've not thought to announce it until just now.

Eep I think I've gone in a circle.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's interesting. I just hope this doesn't become a source of misinformation. There's too many variables to even make sense of the results when it comes to understand why one group talks more about depression than another on here.

I know for myself. I don't typically talk plainly and say "I'm depressed". For me you'd just be able to tell likely by my apparent attitude and the types of things I post. I don't like to talk about the feeling in general. I'd prefer not to think about it. I'd spend more time talking about it indirectly, or about my frustrations with the sources of it in some way or other non related issues that I'm redirecting my emotions at. I don't like to be open and read like a book unless it's someone I particularly trust, but I have very few of those so. Anyways, just explaining my perspective. I don't know if that is an infj thing or simply my quirk but it relates in showing that even if I was depressed you would likely not find the word in my threads here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts