Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you stay in a relationship where your partner says they don't see marriage or long term? However the relationship is fun.

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
No. Waste of my time. I don't enter relationships where I don't see long term potential.
I agree with this.

Also, to me, long-term doesn't have to mean marriage. I don't know when or if I'll ever be ready to get married again, but I know I want something long-term. If it doesn't work out, that's one thing, but I don't go into anything wanting it not to last and I wouldn't want him to either.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
What if you were led to believe it were long term. Then one day.......
I said I don't enter relationships where "I" don't see long term POTENTIAL.

When I meet men, most of them say they want to have a long term relationship. I'm sure sometimes their comments are genuine and sometimes they think it will just get them laid faster. That's why it's important for me to use my own discernment. I'm pretty good at deciphering which one is which, despite what they may say.

It's not cool to lie about who you are or your intentions at the beginning of a relationship. I consider people who do that psychos.

However, even when both partners originally both want long term, sometimes it still fails. I was shocked when a recent relationship only lasted 6 months. That type of thing isn't worth it to me. My relationships have always been long term.

Reactions: Roze and Jojo

·
Registered
752 Posts
I don't see the point in short term relationships. You'll should never be able to know absolutely everything you can about your SO in such a minuscule amount of time. It just seems weird to me. ;o Relationships are about learning more about your partner over time while going through life and blah blah blah. The way I see it, curiosity towards the unknown is the best way to stay in a relationship.

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
I said I don't enter relationships where "I" don't see long term POTENTIAL.
I agree with this. Sometimes I might not know immediately when I begin dating them, especially if they have not been a friend for more than two months. But usually I can tell within 3 weeks of a relationship starting of whether it has potential for me or not. I remember the last couple relationships before my current I felt frustrated because they had zero potential for me.

Maybe it's cruel, but usually when I start getting the feeling that the relationship won't work at all, I break up with them. I stayed in a bad relationship once, and that fed my depression problems. The only issue is I'm not direct about breaking up, I usually start avoiding them, seeing other people (well, this was in the past, not so much now because I had been single for a while up until April), telling them things to make them want to break up with me, etc. Not that I'm proud of that.

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Minds can always change. Much like they change, when the goal is long term to short, they can change when it's short term to long. Besides, if you've got nothing/no one better to do, why not? Have some fun, take it for what it's worth, keep your head about you, and if you start getting feelings, that aren't reciprocated, bail.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
I agree with that guy. ^

I don't understand the obsession with find "the one" if the relationship isn't going to last forever, but I'm enjoying myself, why not?

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Well the point of relationships is arbitrary, yet for me it is about finding "the one" or someone to spend my life with. Sure it seems illogical to some, but love does exist. The thing is, can you feel it. And short term relationships, if we can even call them that, are kind of in the way of the mission.
And we must complete the mission, even if we must leave private Ryan behind.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Would you stay in a relationship where your partner says they don't see marriage or long term? However the relationship is fun.
Actually I'd be more than likely the one saying it, especially the marriage bit. I wouldn't be upset at all really.

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
Yes "Friends with benefits" is highly[/] underrated :happy: I only wish I could have tried this sooner.

Reactions: Snowguard

·
Registered
5,517 Posts
What if you're looking for a long-term but you are tricked into thinking there would be and you find out they just wanted a short term or one-nighter? It's hard to tell sometimes.

·
MOTM Nov 2010
10,402 Posts
Minds can always change. Much like they change, when the goal is long term to short, they can change when it's short term to long. Besides, if you've got nothing/no one better to do, why not?
Ack, a relationship is hardly a cure for boredom. And I would hate to have someone "settle" for me just because they have no one better to do. Problem is that people settle in relationships every day and are less than satisfied. Isn't there something better to do with one's own time?

Have some fun, take it for what it's worth, keep your head about you, and if you start getting feelings, that aren't reciprocated, bail.
Problem is, when relationships are chosen for convenience many people choose to bail when they start to have feelings for someone. This can be very hurtful.

No, when it comes to relationships, I look for quality. I refuse to settle. I'd rather be alone and continue to work on making my own self happy rather than be a relationship hobbiest. Also, if someone is clearly into short term, I don't stick around hoping that things will change. This would also be a waste of both of our time. I can't change anyone.

·
Banned
3,849 Posts
To add a bit more to this - if your partner says that there is no possibility of long-term relationship this basically means that for your partner the relationship is already over. He or she has already decided that it is not going to work. Thus why stay in something that the other person has already decided is not working and is not willing to talk about the issues or work on them to actually make it work?

·
Registered
2,266 Posts
Ack, a relationship is hardly a cure for boredom. And I would hate to have someone "settle" for me just because they have no one better to do. Problem is that people settle in relationships every day and are less than satisfied. Isn't there something better to do with one's own time?

Problem is, when relationships are chosen for convenience many people choose to bail when they start to have feelings for someone. This can be very hurtful.

No, when it comes to relationships, I look for quality. I refuse to settle. I'd rather be alone and continue to work on making my own self happy rather than be a relationship hobbiest. Also, if someone is clearly into short term, I don't stick around hoping that things will change. This would also be a waste of both of our time. I can't change anyone.

Eh, well, maybe people would be more happy if the word fling was used, instead of relationship. Seems like a matter of semantics, though. I don't know. For me, for as big as I am on power and control, I don't want to know the end of things. I don't want the future completely mapped out. What's true today, may not be true tomorrow, or even ten minutes from now. haha Last person I gave that spiel to was Shelly, who wanted everything a certain damn way. It scares me to even think about life in those terms. Plus, I don't think it's fair to put those kind of expectations on someone, right from the start. If you're immediately looking for everything they aren't, you fail to appreciate anything they are. If you always live for tomorrow, you lose today. For me, I'd rather appreciate what I have, what I can earn, and what I can take, right now. It's the only way for me to be happy, not just with myself, but with anyone I end up with. Take today for today, and worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. When I lose sight of that, I end up miserable, emoing out, and living the in the past or an unrealistic future, that will never come. Lost too much life, that way. I'd rather be laid back, and take it as it comes. This applies to relationships and pretty much everything else. Oh, and I wouldn't say, that I was using the girl, as I'd be honest in my intent, or with my lack of stating one.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.