Votes: 4 57.1%
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
have you had one?

Most Common STDs for Women and Men: Symptoms and Treatment

Lenny has a bit about the clap, just as relevant now as then.
Time 0:00-2:10

There are many STDs that are easy to cure and are easy to prevent but the culture surrounding it is like other ones, in that we simply don't talk about it, marred with secrecy and shame.

So if you're feeling comfortable enough to share, tell us what you got and how you dealt with it.
Maybe even share how you don't have an STD despite having had sex ^_^

NOTICE: Any people who make effort of shaming others with their relative definition of promiscuity should forever hold their peace when it comes to this thread, not interested in your moralizing, just the experiences of people.

EDIT: Source for perceived barriers to screening and other STD related services in adolescents and young adults.

·
Registered
31,261 Posts
We go to health class and we learn about them. I think a major problem is, that a lot of people don't even get to have health classes on such matters. Then on top of that, a lot of people don't pay attention or care about school. Therefore we are doomed to fall victim to viruses and other organisms. No, I think a lot of people are sexual, but a lot of people equally don't like talking about sex, so these topics are rarely brought up and the consequences are maximized. This is all in my mind by the way, I completely made all of this up because I have no empirical research to back it up.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Surprisingly, I've only ever had yeast infections and urinary tract infections. I've had a decent number of one night stands with total strangers, most of them without condoms (guilty) and been tested for STDs many times but never picked up anything. I did once get a syphilis shot in my ass though. xD The doctor was lecturing me on the dangers of one night stands, after I came in complaining about abdominal pain. So he gave me a shot "just in case it's an advanced form of syphilis and we don't get the test results in time," which was totally unlikely. I have to say, those shots hurt like a bitch. My ass was sore for the next week.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
have you had one? /// There are many STDs that are easy to cure and are easy to prevent but the culture surrounding it is like other ones, in that we simply don't talk about it, marred with secrecy and shame.

So if you're feeling comfortable enough to share, tell us what you got and how you dealt with it.
We call can get positives on STDS, things classified as sexual transmitted but that ARE NOT sexual diseases. Some due to special antibiotic treatments (been there), nothing sexual. Others due to certain health unbalances. Then you can have it and then they can be sexually transmitted, but doesn't mean they are purely sexual diseases, this include fungi and related stuff.

Now, purely sexually transmitted? dated and had a relationship with a diabetic woman, some things come with that. There is medicine and treatment for that, it's not purely sexual, it's just very common. She was very shamed the first time but we talked about it, I read, I understand so I explained had nothing wrong with it.

For those not used to the matter: we all have population of life in certain places that can be harmful, and we have colonies, certain unbalances can cause manifestation of "the disease", just that. Diabetics? they have lots of "food" on their plasma, it's easier for life to grow on certain parts of their body, nothing bad about it, or at least nothing to feel ashamed.

Other than that, nothing. No papiloma, no vih, etc. Sadly I know two cases (close ones) who have that (papiloma) and they don't talk about it, even seek sex with other people... not good!!!!

I take a medical test once per year to check for sexual diseases, I believe we all should, married or not.

·
Registered
6,146 Posts
Not that I know of honestly.
I mean I only had that year of weird sexual deviance with my ex, and we got checked regularly, but apparently some STDs took months to show <or something, iunno>, and after said months STDs was the least of my worries.

But hey, my dick isn't jizzing out green ooze, there's no warts or infections anywhere on me, so I'm PRETTY sure I'm fine.
Yeah, I have little knowledge of STDs ._.

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
Something like 20% of Americans have an incurable STD. I think that instead of just teaching prevention, we need to have open conversations about life with STDs, coping, healthy relationships after STDs, and remove some of the stigma and shame that comes attached with them. The more informed citizens are, and the more open dialogue there is, I think the lower rates will become. At this point with how shady STD education is, I think a lot of people are unaware of the signs and symptoms of curable and incurable STDs and are often afraid to seek treatment or diagnoses, and afraid to tell their partners. It's really a shame and I hope that in the future we're able to tackle the issue a lot better than we are now.

I have no STDs but being diabetic, especially when my blood sugars get out of control I do tend to get yeast infections and UTIs. As long as I keep my blood sugar under control though things are fine. That's often easier said than done, however.

·
Registered
3,765 Posts
Yes, I have Herpes Simplex type 2. Once you get it, you are pretty much set for life. :-/

I'll share more later, if anyone is interested. I really ought to do some work right now (since I am at the office...).
Don't remember the classifications but there is a very common herpes that you can get by kissing someone. It might show on very hot climates, under stress and if you have fever due to whatever thing, OR it might never show but either way the person lives with it.

·
MOTM May 2014
7,026 Posts
Don't remember the classifications but there is a very common herpes that you can get by kissing someone. It might show on very hot climates, under stress and if you have fever due to whatever thing, OR it might never show but either way the person lives with it.
Type 1 is the one commonly referred to as 'cold sore' and is likely the one you are talking about.

Type 2 is the STD and is commonly sexually transmitted between genital areas, but sure, it can transfer in other ways as well, just as the common cold sore.

They are both included in a larger family of viruses:

• Type 1- Oral Herpes (HSV-1)
  • Type 2- Genital Herpes (HSV-2)
  • Type 3- Chicken Pox and Shingles (HHV-3)
  • Type 4- Epstein Barr virus (EBV) Can cause Mononucleosis (The kissing disease)
  • Type 5- Cytomegalovirus (CMV) Can also cause Mononucleosis
  • Type 6 and 7- Roseolovirus (HHV-6a and HHV-6B and HHV-7)
  • Type 8- Kapasi’s Sarcoma (KSHV)
More info here.

Stats:
Worldwide rates of either HSV-1 or HSV-2 are between 60% and 95% in adults.[SUP][9][/SUP] HSV-1 is usually acquired during childhood.[SUP][1][/SUP] Rates of both increase as people age.[SUP][9][/SUP] Rates of HSV-1 are between 70% and 80% in populations of low socioeconomic status and 40% to 60% in populations of improved socioeconomic status.[SUP][9][/SUP] An estimated 536 million people worldwide (16% of the population) were infected with HSV-2 as of 2003 with greater rates among women and those in the developing world.[SUP][10][/SUP] Most people with HSV-2 do not realize that they are infected.[SUP][1][/SUP]

·
MOTM June 2012
9,448 Posts
I knew a guy who told me that STD dating sites were gold mines if you wanted a fuck buddy. He said they were easier and kinkier. So I guess it's not the end of the world if you want to hook up if you get one. XD. Pretty sure he also had herpes himself too.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Nope! We used to get tested regularly at college and I have tests each time I go back to the doctor to change my pill or whatever.

I did get vaccinated against HPV when I was 16 though. Nothing like three stabs in the arm to make you thankful that you are less likely to get cervical cancer!

Reactions: herinb and Wellsy

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
I knew a guy who told me that STD dating sites were gold mines if you wanted a fuck buddy. He said they were easier and kinkier. So I guess it's not the end of the world if you want to hook up if you get one. XD. Pretty sure he also had herpes himself too.
What's are "STD dating sites"?

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
i've had a cold in my life.
and cold sores.

i'm probably contaminated with the plague.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
I got the clam once. The woman said she was clean =/ what a liar. I knew something was off when her pussy smelled foul during sex.

I knew I had it when it hurt to pee :( It is NOT a good experience. Took a pill & it was gone the next day. Since then i'm much more cautious.

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
17,350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did get vaccinated against HPV when I was 16 though. Nothing like three stabs in the arm to make you thankful that you are less likely to get cervical cancer!
Fuck yeah!
Shame more men don't get vaccination because they can be carriers without symptoms and infect women to which they like you said get cervical cancer or can become infertile.

Get yo jabs people.

·
The Cooliest
7,635 Posts
I have had a cold sore a couple times before. Just used some cream and it went away soon after. It doesn't bother me that much besides it being a nuisance every now and then, however the fact that it is contagious is irritating. I must say that I'm really glad, it's only that, it's not as bad as having type 2, a cold sore may be annoying but that's even worse!

Reactions: Wellsy

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
I always wondered about that! Like if there are dating sites for people with herpes or HIV. How does that work? Is there a site for each disease or just a general site which categorises you? Must be very interesting.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts