Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's hard to think of somewhere to begin. I guess it's been going on for two years now, but it all started when he started smoking cannabis ( he has now stopped and moved on to cigarettes).

My family and myself started to notice money, and items missing from the house. We didn't think much about change going missing, and maybe we misplaced our iPods and phones. It wasn't until there was a withdrawal from my parents bank account of £250, we started to suspect someone was stealing.

It all lead back to him, as both my parents were in work and no where near the ATM and I was in a different part of the country. He was the only one in the house that day.

Both me and my parents have had things go missing, so much so we have to put our belongings in a safe. But this doesn't seen to deter him for searching for change in the car, or my purse.

Recently I gave him my iPod Touch 4 which cost me quite a lot if money, for a student. I gave it on the hope that he would give it back in goodwill (since he got it for free) if he didn't want it anymore because I could at least get some money for it.

But as things go, you cannot trust him. He won't admit it, but he has sold it. His story doesn't check up. I looked in his browser history and found him advertising it on a Facebook status for someone to buy. But he is keeping up the lie and saying how he downloaded a load of new songs, and so on.

If you call him up on it, he denies it or throws a violent fit. I have been advised just to leave it. But I'm fed up of hiding my things in fear that he will sell them, so he can buy cigarettes or maybe even weed.

If I don't have solid proof evidence he is stealing, what can I do?

·
Registered
398 Posts
Set up a camera, where he cannot see it, to catch him in the act when you leave the house. Put some money on the table and tell him to not touch it. (lame trap, but think of better ones)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Have you tried a family meeting? Just take the focus and blame off him, and make sure he understand it's about being worried for him and caring. Cameras are also a good idea. You know him better than anyone here, surely there's someway you know how to get to him?

·
Banned
3,145 Posts
yes I agree that something like a cctv would be a good idea. that 'drop the whole thing' thing isn't an option. it's easier, sure, to avoid the conflict and the difficulty of getting your brother to see the error of his ways, but it only makes it worse for everyone involved in the long run.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts