Personality Cafe banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

How do you feel about this social experiment?

I was shocked and inflamed. The former can be initially seen as confusing, because I feel like I always rant about how much society sucks, but then at the same time, I feel pretty naive. In the sense that it's still hard for me to comprehend how someone can possibly do this, and the like.

The hero at 6:25 makes much more sense to me. <3 <3 <3

I think selfishness is an illusion. It hurts the taker just as much as the victim.

·
Registered
10,722 Posts
I actually experienced this once when the shop keeper gave me 50 euros back while I only needed 10 euros!!! I said that's not right and I gave it back in exchange for the right bill. But I believe in the idea of the end sometimes justifies the means, and if I believe someone doesn't have the right for it, i will keep (or even steal), but it's hard to steal unorganized from rich people and big companies. No-one has the right to have a lot of money. I'm a communist and everyone should be treaten fair and equally!!!

Reactions: attic

·
Retired Administrator
16,248 Posts
I found myself most disturbed by the way the people treated the blind kid.

Tbh, the last one seemed like it was more focused on homeless people, and I didn't really feel as disturbed by that at all because for one thing, the guy didn't even look like he was accidentally dropping the money, but that he was doing it on purpose. Sure, people should wonder if he did it on accident because he is blind, but it's also probably not super uncommon for people to just drop money or throw money at beggars. I've seen a non blind person driving an SUV throw a handfull of change out into a two lane freeway offramp where a homeless man was begging, so that he had to run around inside the offramp dodging and picking around cars exiting the freeway to pick up the pocket change.

Not that it excuses anything, but someone who has plenty of money is not going to have the same ethical decision as someone who's sleeping on the street.

I still think it's disturbing, in general, how many people were fine taking advantage of the guy for the money.

The only situation I've been in, I think, like this, was when I went through a fast food drive in and I accidentally gave the cashier a 20$ bill or something instead of a one dollar bill (something dramatic like that). She told me that I gave her too much and I thanked her, but afterwards I thought about how it could have been hard for her if she was hard pressed for money (knowing the wages in fast food) and had that opportunity presented to her. It really isn't something to take for granted imo, her honesty and consideration.

People should not take advantage of blind or disadvantaged people for sure, but people should also understand that fifty dollars or even one dollar is not the same to everyone.

It's hard to judge considering I don't know what the motivations were for everyone who chose to take the money, but at the same time I can't assume they were all trying to decide between their child starving or whatever and someone being careless with money. Most of them were probably not in that situation and I find taking advantage of people who are more vulnerable than you especially heinous.

So yeah, all bothersome. The kid one kind of made me cry a little bit for some reason though. The homeless one I was least moved by since they can probably look at the 'blind' man and see his shoes aren't worn through (yes, people take note of that) and his clothes aren't dirty from being worn for two months straight etc. Not to say it's okay. But I think it changes the scenario a little.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,333 Posts
I'd beat the fuck out of the person if I saw them doing that. Stealing sucks in general, but stealing from someone who is already at a disadvantage is an asshole move.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Most (if not all...) of these "experiment" and "prank" videos are fake.

·
Registered
INFP 4w5 6w7 9w1 so/sp
3,418 Posts

How do you feel about this social experiment?

I was shocked and inflamed. The former can be initially seen as confusing, because I feel like I always rant about how much society sucks, but then at the same time, I feel pretty naive. In the sense that it's still hard for me to comprehend how someone can possibly do this, and the like.

The hero at 6:25 makes much more sense to me. <3 <3 <3

I think selfishness is an illusion. It hurts the taker just as much as the victim.
I actually would do the same as the 6:25 guy, yes. I would never take disadvantage in all those situations potrayed. What exactly was dropping in the last experient? A plastic little bag with...? :idunno:

I think it's good being made such social experiment, but sad to see the results of it.

What exactly do you mean with your last (two) sentence(s)? Because I think it would hurt the taker with a good heart, which is why they won't take it, but sadly I think there are plenty of people willing to take the money and don't feel sorry/hurt about it, hence what we get to see in such video and in real life. I wonder how much affect the way people are being taught at young age what's important and essential in life has.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts