Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some people get a bit carried away when they find out their type and try to live up to the stereotype.
So I'd like to know some (stereo)typical things you said or did BEFORE you knew your type.

Me in feedback session with mentor when I did my teacher training:
Mentor: I'll give you a 1 [best mark], but maybe you can think of something to improve?
Me: Yes. Even if you are perfect, there's always something to improve.

Me in high school. Friend got a new hair cut and was going on about it for days in advance as if it was such a big thing. Unfortunately...... well. .... she's a lovely girl, but she's got a huge nose and no chin and she had her heart set on this hair cut where you've got spiky bits sticking up at the front and it just didn't suit her. It just wasn't the most flattering hairstyle for her but she had to have it because it was popular. She looked like this:

friend: How do you all like my new hairstyle?
Me: It looks like a loo brush.
friend: *offended* If you say that again I'll un-invite you from my birthday party.
Me: But it does look like a loo brush!
friend: You are un-invited.
Me: ???

·
Registered
60 Posts
Oh, all the time. There are a few that stand out immensely.

[jogging with a group of girls way back in junior high]
Girl One: This is my best time so far!
Girl Two: I feel like training has really been paying off!
Me: Yeah, it's so windy today. It's like the wind is picking me up and taking me where I need to go, you know? It's like there's something behind everything that happens.
Girls One and Two: ...okay? *slow down and separate from me*

...Aww, I was a little weirdo INFP before I even knew it :p

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
-As a little kid, I was very good at manipulating myself out of situations.
Remember one situation in 2nd grade, during ESL. The teacher gave me detention for doing something, told me I would be missing recess and I acted really excited about this, telling her some bullshit about how I had no friends and people picked on me during recess, only class I really liked was gym because I got to run around. She (then) ended up giving me detention during gym class (which I hated) and from then on, I'd purposely fuck up just so I could miss gym. Same thing when I stole money and things from stores.
-(all elementary school stuff) Always came off as absentminded, really eccentric and adhd but would constantly shock people by my grades. Was a cocky little shit. Had a lot of friends, fit into no particular group but loved to press people's buttons/piss them off.

probably other ways I can't even think of.

·
Registered
60 Posts
One of my first jobs was very physically intense; we were constantly moving furniture from one place to another. I was the smallest person on the team by a good 40+ lbs (18kg) and it was probably harder for me to do the work than for anyone else. But I loved it. It was a creative challenge each time to figure out the best way to do my work. I had to feel how each piece moved, understand its tipping and balance points. It made people stare when they saw me moving something that was literally bigger than myself.

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
*other person grinning at me (at my expense) about to make a joke about my most recent mistake*
Me: 'Oh shut up.'

Me: 'Shit.'

Me: 'Did you try hitting it with a hammer?'

Me: 'I'd rather slam my hand in a door.'

Me: 'We're out of whiskey.'

Me: 'I saw that. The ground just came up and hit you. It was a vicious attack by gravity.'

Actually, this is shit I still say.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Threads like these make me happy I keep a journal.

November 21, 2010 (age 17):
"I want something that I cannot quite reach, that I can't explain in words or draw because I don't even know what it is, only wanting which is really confusing because can you want something without knowing what it is really?"

September 20, 2004 (age 11):
“I like to have peace and quiet so it isn’t strange if one day you happen to find me under a table reading or sitting dreamily on a tree branch with the birds. You might also hear a slight creaking or rustling when you pass a closet. Do not fear. It’s probably me.”

May 18, 2008 (age 15):
"Did you know I have a massive inferiority complex?…I hate people who love me. I do not deserve it and I cannot live up to it."

...I think these are stereotypes?

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Threads like these make me happy I keep a journal.

November 21, 2010 (age 17):
"I want something that I cannot quite reach, that I can't explain in words or draw because I don't even know what it is, only wanting which is really confusing because can you want something without knowing what it is really?"

September 20, 2004 (age 11):
“I like to have peace and quiet so it isn’t strange if one day you happen to find me under a table reading or sitting dreamily on a tree branch with the birds. You might also hear a slight creaking or rustling when you pass a closet. Do not fear. It’s probably me.”

May 18, 2008 (age 15):
"Did you know I have a massive inferiority complex?…I hate people who love me. I do not deserve it and I cannot live up to it."

...I think these are stereotypes?
You are an INFP who keeps a journal. That, in and of itself, is a stereotype.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
"Do I look like I care?"
"If stupidity was challenging, you'd be the boss."
"Oh, shut up! Just be content with the knowledge that I'm right and you're wrong!"
"But it's not perfect!!"
"We don't necessarily need trees to survive." (Said this to an ecologist giving a presentation about how important it is to preserve the environment in 3rd Grade.)
"...I think my heart just froze..."
"That's scientifically impossible."
"Leave me alone."
"No! That's stupid! It won't work! You have to be a retard to think that it would!" (4th Grade group project about pulleys)
"That's incorrect. Stop thinking you're a science whiz; you're not. That's my job." (Also 4th Grade)
"I don't recall..."

·
Registered
151 Posts
"How does that make you feel?"
"It doesnt matter what i think."
"Cant you see life is bigger than a turkey sandwich?" (when my mother kept bugging me about what kind of bread i wanted on my sandwich in the fourth grade as i was trying to think quietly on my own)
"No, keep going! I'm still listening!" when i tuned out long ago.
"Its a conspiracy!" (My exact words on a regular basis)

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
The way conversations go off-topic is by linking one topic to another and gradually you find youself way off the original point. During conversations my mind would already be following all those links so let's say they're talking about Rapunzel and all of a sudden I'll just go "Can you imagine being in a place where everyone else is the size of your hand at most?"
Then all behold the awkward silence as they stare at me like I'm an alien! And of course the "What does that have to do with this?" will come!
And I'll be trying to explain the links (which basically lead me to Gulliver's Travels, hence tiny people and all that), except the words that come out of my mouth are the messed up version of what is being said in my head, so nobody gets it and they think I'm babbling nonsense as per usual and after a few more moments of awkward silence the whole thing repeats again!

·
Registered
8,689 Posts
Me: It's a witch!

Me: Is that it? (That's all you've got?)

Me: See, that's not too complicated. Just like riding a space shuttle. Easy to learn and you never forget how. (Husband) take it back now!

Me: Can't be right.
Them: Why not?
Me: That would make me wrong and my ego couldn't take it. Go back and get me a better answer or I'll have your balls.

Me: I've seen milk floats with better handling.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts