Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you know your core type with almost certainty but don't fit some of its key features? Do share! It might be helpful for someone who isn't sure of theirs. I've broken it down:

1. What is your core type (with wing and instinct)?

2. How sure are you?

3. List some stereotypes you don't relate to.

4. List some core features (from reliable sources) you don't relate to.

5. If you don't relate to core features, what makes you sure of your type? (Optional)

Keep suggestions on other peoples' types to a minimum here. Feel free to PM people if you think they aren't the type they suggest.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1. What is your core type (with wing and instinct)? ISFJ

2. How sure are you? 100% sure. I always, always, always score ISFJ and have since I was like 12. :p

3. List some stereotypes you don't relate to: "Doesn't like theory/higher education" - actually, I wish I could live at school. I love deep intellectual discussions. I am currently completing a masters in theology and before that I studied art history and cultural studies.

4. List some core features (from reliable sources) you don't relate to: ISFJs have a hard time not secretly judging those who don't fit their personal values (deviant folks). I'm not sure how much I can relate to this.

5. If you don't relate to core features, what makes you sure of your type? (Optional)

Even though I love theory, I have realized that I actually become quite frustrated when I am unable to ground theories in my personal experiences or the concrete world. So there's a limit to how theoretical I can be. Also, I know I'm an S because I'm very observant (but have a harder time knowing things intuitively), I'm gullible (take people at face value), I love taking care of the details and DOING what needs to be done to execute an idea, and I love to home-make (i.e. make living spaces feel warm and welcoming).

·
MOTM February 2014
4,781 Posts
6w7 sp/sx

2. How sure are you?
90% sure.

I think it might be quicker to list the stereotypes I do relate to -_-

- Fear is not the worst thing ever. I don't avoid or "fear" my anxiety.
- I don't really care enough about most things to be super vigilant or to always question them.
- The concepts of "trust," "loyalty," and "betrayal" don't cross my mind unless someone else mentions it.
- I am not sociable, optimistic, or peppy. (w7)
- I think the more graphic sp/sx descriptions are gross and uncalled for.

Eh. Due to the type in question being 6, it's more like "I know I embody the motivations of type 6" than it is "I totally fit authors' ideas of what 6 is."

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
sx/sp 5w6

2. How sure are you?
99.99% (always have to leave some possibility for error no matter how small)

Don't have feelings - This article describes it better than I can.

From Riso:

• Basic Fear: Being useless, helpless, or incapable
  • Basic Desire: To be capable and competent
It's more about being prepared before jumping in. Habit is to extensively research and analyze mentally, put pieces together until they create a logical whole (big picture containing the pieces) - delay jumping into action because there always seems to be more to analyze or that's missing before the big picture is complete. Often don't trust other people's process for doing this so would rather analyze the raw data myself.

·
Banned
4,227 Posts
7w8 Sp/Sx

2. How sure are you?
95%

3. List some stereotypes you don't relate to

• [*=1]Not keeping commitments (this does happen, but I also tend to stay in commitments much longer than I should)
    [*=1]Scattered interests (I am scattered within my interests, not scattered with topics of interest)
    [*=1]Avoidance of pain (I'm aware of my own pain and dark side, but not the full extent. Physical pain doesn't really bug me either)
    [*=1]Optimist (I tend to look at the negatives and get caught in thickets of negative perception despite hoping for better)
    [*=1]Intellectual (I only sound intellectual. Truly smart people are aware of what's in front of them, and I'm not always great at that/would rather synthesize something new.)
    [*=1]Wild (I have no issues with a shakeup or doing something bold, but not if it's going to lead to being arrested or calling the fire department. Make it loud and clear, but make it measured too)
    [*=1]Idealistic (this is true, but I don't always look like an idealist on the outside)
    [*=1]Not Serious (people think I have a stick up my ass and take things like work, personal life etc way too seriously)
    [*=1]Party animal (I'll beat you in a whiskey drinking contest to the point you're gurgling alcoholic vomit in your sleep - WHEN I party, but that is very rare. I would rather sit around on the computer on a Friday).
    [*=1]Argumentative (only if you're impeding on my space, or I'm bored)
    [*=1]Materialistic (would be more likely to try and go without)

• [*=1]Honestly, I relate to all of the critical features of my core type. It's the stereotypes I believe to be badly misaligned.

·
Registered
18,510 Posts
5w4 sx/sp

2. How sure are you?
Extremely sure.

Bookish, nerdish, emotional robot, researcher, scientist, knowledge-hoarder, master of a specific trade.

What core features?

·
Ace of Spades
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

7 Sp/Sx

2. How sure are you?

Over 90%

~ I am fairly conscientious. Not in a "right/wrong", "good/bad" universal sense, but moreso a personal "healthy/unhealthy", "worthwhile/waste", "meaningful/meaningless", "advantageous/unhelpful". I find the "should"s in my head, as annoying as they are, actually help me accomplish what's important to me.

~ I consider myself responsible. I tend to follow through on things I actually (not hypothetically) say I'll do.

~ I am never bored. My mind is endless entertainment. One of my favourite things to do is be alone in a comfortable room for hours. The only times I've been "bored" is when I've been trapped in a situation with unpleasant people that I couldn't for whatever reason escape.

~ I do not avoid my pain. Rather, I usually don't realize it's there.

~ I am not "socially confident". I actually have social anxiety and have been shy my whole life. The thing is I actively go against my fears because it's "worthwhile".

~ I am definitely not in any way a "people person". That applies more to 2, 6, 9, and maybe 3 anyway. I'm an idea person.

(Most of these are probably from R&H, but others not).

~ Meaningless entertainment bothers me. I need to either be learning, intellectually stimulated, emotionally moved, or otherwise productive in some sense. That could be playing video games stoned, so long as any of the previous criteria have been met. Internally, I know when it's "too much" of something, and I can reasonably self-adjust.

~ I'm not all that spontaneous. I definitely act before I think sometimes, but usually my mind sits in the future and envisions how to make things happen. I usually refuse activities when not given enough prior notice.

~ I considered myself a true introvert for many years. Now I can see I have qualities of both sides, but still identify with introversion more strongly.

~ Reading descriptions that were NOT some of the popular ones online made me better understand this type. When I first learned about enneagram, I immediately discounted 7 because it almost seemed opposite to me. I related most to 5 and 8.

~ Reading any Sp 7 description out there can send shivers down my spine. Definitely sealed my type when I was uncertain. The Sp 7 sounds quite different than what most people picture when they think 7. Reading Naranjo also confirmed this for me.

~ The enneagram was able to point out to me some flaws I was barely aware of, and others which I didn't even consider could negatively impact me/others. No other type has done this for me to this extent.

~ I can make a list of things I do relate to. It would include undying optimism, narcissism, self-absorption, aggressive positivity, excitement, extreme love of variety, fear of commitment, fear of living anywhere long-term, extreme fear of/aversion to taking care of others, thirst for freedom, thirst for collecting experience, fear of deprivation, fear of physical barriers, and so on.

·
Banned
710 Posts

9w8, sx/so

2. How sure are you?

90%

Being a door-mat. I don't let people walk all over me. I am quick to police my boundaries when people try to cross or ignore them.

Being unambitious; I am more ambitious than most of the people I know and I seem to have a much clearer picture of what it is I want to achieve than they do.

Resignation/apathy. I am very indifferent about little things in life that I am not overly concerned about. So, in ever day life I come off as very chill. But, when it comes to things which are important to me I am demanding and quite picky. If things don't work out the way I had planned I will figure out where I went wrong and try, try again.

Gluttony. Naranjo in particular seems to equate enneagram point nine with being endomorphic and/or obese, and suggests that SP-nines exist in a state of "I eat, therefore I am." I am sp-last so that might have something to do with it, but I can't see any of that in myself.

I relate intensely with the idea of Holy Love, and I can see that it is something which troubles me day in, day out. Looking back on my life so far, I can clearly identify when I took very round-about paths in attempting to secure the affection of people, in order to fill the sort of emptiness that I experience. Such experiences fit Almaas' concept of 'localized love' to the letter. It's scary how much his writing in particular describes me.

The concept of 'fusion' as described by Naranjo for sx-9 is very accurate in describing my experiences as well.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
First of all, it's important to distinguish stereotypes from core features. They are two very different things. You may not relate to stereotypes and still be that type, but if you don't relate to the core features of a type, you're definitely not that type.

So, for example, optimism being a key trait of 7s (hell just about their primary defense strategy in conjunction with rationalization) means that there is no such thing as a speshul snowflake pessimistic 7 who dwells on negativity habitually. Being a flighty extroverted party animal is NOT the core feature (think Naranjo's defense mechanisms and trait structures when contemplating core features) of Type 7.

Key features or Core features are patently not the same as "stereotypes". So, I hope people will be mindful of that difference in their responses, so we can actually have a productive discussion on this.

Do you know your core type with almost certainty but don't fit some of its key features? Do share! It might be helpful for someone who isn't sure of theirs. I've broken it down:

3w4 sp/sx

OR

7w8 sp/sx

2. How sure are you?
I am certain I am one of those types. Both are close enough for me, and I have a very complex history. I am no hurry to 'settle' on a type.

3. List some stereotypes you don't relate to
Type 3:

- superficial, shallow, overly concerned with people's opinions
- inauthentic, competitive with inconsequential shit
- concerned with social prestige
- a sycophant or something close to it, super upbeat and inclusive (3w2s); dry as fuck, super reserved or whatever for 3w4
- shrewd/cunning; i am very strategic and ambitious, but i am not shrewd/scheming. when that game is played, i can usually win it by brute force alone;)
- i may be quite the silver tongued devil;), but i am also extremely direct and straightforward, often saying things people lack the gumption to say. it takes no effort or skill on my end. it's always been easy for me to speak my mind.
- have little interest in social issues (i know quite a few 3s myself who are quite philanthropic and so on)

Type 7:

-superficial, flighty, scattered (i am very focused, persistent when I want to be even if it means overcoming my life-long trouble with discipline that people [except those close to me] are mostly unaware of given the scale of my achievements)
-easily bored; i am not easily bored because my mind provides an endless source of entertainment. i can make something out of nothing and keep my ass entertained very easily.
-'happy go lucky'; i tend to be truly optimistic (as opposed to someone conflating ingratiating behaviour with optimism), but i am not 'perky' or whatever. i have a morbid, zany sense of humour, and i can laugh at absolutely anything. i have laughed my way through a lot of tragedy and pain, though i also have a serious and focused side.
-not as competitive as 3. there are some very competitive world class athletes and scientists etc who are 7s. and they didn't get there by lacking any competitive drive.
-non-committal; i like my escape routes, but when i commit to something, i don't back out as long as it's worth my time and long term goals
-somewhat like 3s (or if i am a 3), i have a versatile personality and can adjust it in relation to what i want

4. List some core features (from reliable sources) you don't relate to
Type 3:

- polyphasic thinking (palmer)
- difficulty slowing down, a compulsive desire to continue working/staying productive (i have the opposite problem of being indisciplined and feeling entitled to more and better with less effort, though i've overcome tremendous odds which required a lot of work, so i hadn't looked deeper and assumed merely being hardworking meant 7 wasn't it at all)
-fear of losing worth; my fear of failure (that showed up after i failed in a way that totally ruined me) seems to have more to do with loss of options, autonomy, means to indulgence and freedom than loss of worth

Type 7:

- Narcissists suffer few conflicts. Their past has supplied them perhaps too well with high
expectations and encouragements. As a result they are inclined to trust others and to feel
confidence that matters will work out well for them. (Naranjo) (not exactly core feature, but the influence shows in core features descriptions)

My past has been tumultuous, full of the kind of violence and death and losses their break people's backs. My past hasn't supplied me with encouragements because it was oh so fun, though I always viewed myself as destined for greatness even as a child XD. I was also seen as some kind of genius, thanks to my near eidetic memory. :laughing: And, I totally bought into the hype rofl. Anyway, I am inclined to trust people until proven otherwise and inclined to feel confidence that things will work out for me despite my past, not because of it. If type is in-born as I consider it to be, it doesn't matter what kind of past you've had in relation to core features. You'd relate to them anyway.

My life has involved struggle, battles and triumph. This is stereotypically more 3 or 8 than 7, and I still have the tendency to minimize pain and to downplay grief or painful emotions (besides of course drowning them out with pleasure, indulgence, activities, plans and so on), even finding humour in it.

What I quoted above is not listed as a main feature/trait/defense structure, but you will find echoes of this in the description of the type as happy go lucky etc.

- I haven't found anything else yet that I don't relate to with regards to the core features of type 7. I just had paid very little attention to this type owing to half-baked stereotypes.

If you don't relate to core features of a type, you're not that type. The only other option is that you're misunderstanding said type or haven't yet uncovered your core cognitive distortions. Either way, you need to reflect more, and if you still don't relate to core features of a type, you're off-base for sure.

Because I have uncovered an important point or more where I seem to stray from the core feature of a type (3), I have thought more about it recently.

·
Banned
1,583 Posts

1w9 sx/sp

2. How sure are you?

From all the info that I've read and analyzing my motivations in retrospective, I think I'm rather sure that it's my core type. I'm more detached, lazy and apathetic than 1w2, and I only rely on my inner code and inner standards, and I'm not people oriented nor resort to guilt tripping tactics, so that helped me to discern which was my wing.

Being religious, being like an annoying teacher, focusing on irrelevant details, following all the rules even if they don't make any sense to me. In general I don't relate to all stereotypes that were written taking into account SJ types. In fact thanks to the dumb stereotypes I couldn't find out my core, until I decided to read something that had less BS.

I've read Naranjo's description and I didn't find anything that seemed off for me. I only read a bit of R&H, but meh, I know that the description is bad so I prefer to take into account sources that aren't biased in favour to some types.

·
Ace of Spades
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
First of all, it's important to distinguish stereotypes from core features. They are two very different things. You may not relate to stereotypes and still be that type, but if you don't relate to the core features of a type, you're definitely not that type.

So, for example, optimism being a key trait of 7s (hell just about their primary defense strategy in conjunction with rationalization) means that there is no such thing as a speshul snowflake pessimistic 7 who dwells on negativity habitually. Being a flighty extroverted party animal is NOT the core feature (think Naranjo's defense mechanisms and trait structures when contemplating core features) of Type 7.

Key features or Core features are patently not the same as "stereotypes". So, I hope people will be mindful of that difference in their responses, so we can actually have a productive discussion on this.
My wording leaves room for interpretation of what "core features" are and aren't. For the most part, this will depend on the sources you read. But, I see type as more of a best-fit than a be-all end-all must-fit-all-core-features measure. There are several reasons why one might not fit some core features, while still relating to more than any other type. You give some examples yourself ;) Other examples include mental illness, which can alter the focus of the psyche immensely, but is it really altering the core type? Does a depressed 7 become a 4? Does a 9 with GAD become a 6? Does a 2 with agoraphobia become a 5? Of course not. I'm not including personality disorders here because they are thought to be life-long, in which case they may be related to core type as Naranjo suggests.

To add to my own post, because you reminded me of this:

~ I definitely do not have a blind faith in people. I actually have a severe lack of trust in people. At its worst, this is an elitist superiority. At its best, this is simply "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself". I try to rely on people as little as possible so they can rely on me as little as possible. Intimacy is terrifying.

~ I may deny my current pain, but looking back at my past, it's very easy to identify all the pain and hardship I've survived. It's very clear to me and I use my past to evaluate my present situations. Sometimes, I do feel hopeless and like I was broken beyond repair! But I tend to bounce back quickly. Rationalization is a beautiful thing.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
My wording leaves room for interpretation of what "core features" are and aren't.
What they aren't is identical to stereotypes and something that can be conflated with the same. That's why that distinction is key.

For the most part, this will depend on the sources you read. But, I see type as more of a best-fit than a be-all end-all must-fit-all-core-features measure.
I interpret core features of a type, as opposed to frivolous details expanding on the same, to be more or less uniform across authors. To be a certain type, a person will match the core cognitive distortions of a type, and I don't see type as 'be-all end all must fit all stereotypes and every single line in a description'. But, to be accurate, it has to be in line with the core motivations, fears, defense mechanisms and trait structures of a type. Whether you read Naranjo (critically) or Maitri, Palmer, Daniels and others (exclude the Fauvres' and the part where RH descriptions get superficial as fuck), the core features will line up.

There are several reasons why one might not fit some core features, while still relating to more than any other type. You give some examples yourself ;)
There is no reason why a person may not fit the cognitive distortions of a type. Mental illness may make them hard to pinpoint or see in oneself. If you will notice what I said, I pointed out that the reason I have reconsidered 3 is because I don't relate to said core features that I hadn't earlier realized were an integral part of the fixation. I am not going to sit back and glaze over this and say..."oh well, I can cherry pick X or Y and still be a 3". The only reason why I may still end up being a 3 would be uncovering something that shows a gap in my self-understanding or understanding of the type.

But, if upon further examination, I continue to not relate to the core features of the type, it would mean it was a mistype. It's pretty commonsensical.
Other examples include mental illness, which can alter the focus of the psyche immensely, but is it really altering the core type? Does a depressed 7 become a 4? Does a 9 with GAD become a 6? Does a 2 with agoraphobia become a 5? Of course not.
Oh, hell, I know.

You won't come across a more vocal opponent of conflating type with pathology than I have been.I have written a shit ton of posts rubbishing the view that personality disorders or mental illness provide any clue into type or that they should be ever used as typing tools. There is absolutely no causal relationship between the two, and I have said the same a gazillion times and then some. I mean, it's fuckin obvious that personality disorders and phobias don't change a person's type.

I also have a history of dealing with PTSD, depression and more. So, I am particularly mindful of this. I have always made it a point to distinguish type from psychopathology. I knew a 3 who typed at 6 because of a cocktail of anxiety disorders, and I discussed her type with her until she could strip away the pathological influences and see her defense mechanisms etc. for what they were.

I'm not including personality disorders here because they are thought to be life-long, in which case they may be related to core type as Naranjo suggests.
Clearly, nor am I. I don't find personality disorders to be related to type. Naranjo's explanation for that view has been along the lines of "I observed 80 people with Narcisstic Personality Disorder and most of them seemed like 3s". Lolwut?

That's garbage. His attempt to legitimize the Enneagram in the eyes of the scientific community by equating neurosis with loss of Being and making loose correlations between type and Personality Disorders (echoed in the works of RH's health levels) does not mean that the two are related. Anyone can have NPD or OCD or Schizoid personality. I know a type 1 with diagnosed and multiple times confirmed NPD. It's my mother. There are plenty of examples out there of people whose types don't align with their personality disorders. Passing resemblance between type and PD does not imply one causes the other, as you'd know. Besides, multiple Personality Disorders are correlated with multiple types in Enneagram literature. I, personally, don't see a point to it. A psychospiritual system like the Enneagram is not a diagnostic tool. Period. Neurosis is not characterological as Naranjo suggests. And, CN is really dated in relation to research on clinical neuroses and various psychotherapy related theories and treatment options.
To add to my own post, because you reminded me of this:

~ I definitely do not have a blind faith in people. I actually have a severe lack of trust in people. At its worst, this is an elitist superiority. At its best, this is simply "if you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself". I try to rely on people as little as possible so they can rely on me as little as possible. Intimacy is terrifying.
Type 7 isn't about 'blind faith' in people. Type 7 trust is about not anticipating harm or abandonement in advance, which is more a reactive deal. If you anticipate the same and don't trust for that reason, then you need to think more about your typing.

Trust is multi-faceted. There are competency types and competence focused positive outlookers who don't trust others to do as good a job as they can. 3s don't trust anyone's competence more than they trust their own. But, they don't have the mistrust of a 6 or 8. They don't anticipate negativity like 6s, nor do 7s, for example.

I trust myself to be the most competent, but I don't concern myself with hidden meanings, clues and so on, nor do I assume mistrust. Being terrified of intimacy has nothing to do with Type. 7s dislike being tied down, so it's not unusual for a 7 to not want others to rely on them. I, for one, dislike people who try to drag me down or become dependent on me. I help people on my own terms.

~ I may deny my current pain, but looking back at my past, it's very easy to identify all the pain and hardship I've survived. It's very clear to me and I use my past to evaluate my present situations. Sometimes, I do feel hopeless and like I was broken beyond repair! But I tend to bounce back quickly. Rationalization is a beautiful thing.
Again, being a 7 has nothing to do with never feeling hopeless. 7s suffer clinical depressions. 7s experience ruin. They fall hard. They survive addictions, abusive relationships. They're not immune to identifying with their pain. There are 7s who identify with their overcoming and view life with remarkable equanimity. This is why I laugh off the happy go lucky bullshit, because it elevates stereotypes over human concerns. I am a poet, and I have been into theatre. It's processed pain. Agony that flows like wine, landslides and blood. Plenty of 7 artists explored dark and melancholic themes. Look at Dali's Spanish Civil War painting. Read some of Neruda's poems. When he writes of war, he writes in a cynical pained angry tone. This is human. 7s aren't above responding to hardship with grief and more.

None of what you said contradicts that type, not to someone who knows what it's about anyway.

·
Ace of Spades
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think we disagree on the core idea that one should fit all of a type's core features (I wasn't talking about stereotypes). I mean yes of course there will be distortions in understanding types and understanding self, but I'm of the opinion that it's simply a best-fit and it applies more to some than others. I'm more interested in how different qualities of different types (whether it be cognitive distortions, defense mechanisms, or what have you) apply to me, and apply to others. Looking at the enneagram as a whole, with influences from every core, some more than others, has been much more helpful to me than looking at myself as a single individual type interacting with other individual types.

I guess that's why I found tritypes so appealing at first.

Here's an aside question for you: How does one use Type to sort through past traumas/experiences/illness? I find it almost irrelevant in my case, requiring a different technique altogether, divorced from typology. I don't disagree that Naranjo overemphasizes the connection between pathology and typology. I said I just don't want to touch that as it'd be opening a whole other can of worms ;P

Edit: @Cosmic Orgasm (See below for better explanation of what I was trying to say above):

Addendum: It's possible that everyone must a) Fit all the core features of their type and, b) Not fit all the core features of any other type. What I'm saying is that this seems unlikely to me, but perhaps the system is set up that it's foolproof and every person in the world meets both these criteria. Even if true, the distortion of past trauma/experience/illness and distorted understanding of the enneagram and distorted understanding of the self, would make this a practical nightmare anyway. Hence the more practical best-fit approach I propose.

·
Registered
6,540 Posts
I think we disagree on the core idea that one should fit all of a type's core features (I wasn't talking about stereotypes). I mean yes of course there will be distortions in understanding types and understanding self, but I'm of the opinion that it's simply a best-fit and it applies more to some than others. I'm more interested in how different qualities of different types (whether it be cognitive distortions, defense mechanisms, or what have you) apply to me, and apply to others. Looking at the enneagram as a whole, with influences from every core, some more than others, has been much more helpful to me than looking at myself as a single individual type interacting with other individual types.
See, the disagreement exists but may be less pronounced than we think. I don't disagree with your assertion it's simply a best-fit and applies more to some than others. I said on the tritype thread, that we are connected with all the 9 types through the 4 kinds of triads, wings, lines of dis/in (though I am more of a Palmer/Daniel security points person). So, relating with one core type doesn't mean you won't still have traits in common with other types. But, the core features of a type will still be there and shouldn't contradict if you're correctly typed.

I am also interested in how one relates to other types. There have been some good threads on the subject like how do you relate to the other 8 types where I really contemplated my connection with all the 9 fixations. I found that a very useful exercise. Also, some authors attribute more than one defense mechanism to individual types. Besides, we use defense mechanisms of types other than our core type.

I have talked at length about my agreement with Almaas's approach of awakening or, in my case, at least understanding the 9 fixations. It gives me a more wholesome understanding, and I have always talked about learning from the growth strategies of all 9 types. There's much to be learnt from the struggles of various types.

I guess that's why I found tritypes so appealing at first.
I empathize with their initial appeal. I still find them fun to dabble in lol.

Here's an aside question for you: How does one use Type to sort through past traumas/experiences/illness? I find it almost irrelevant in my case, requiring a different technique altogether, divorced from typology. I don't disagree that Naranjo overemphasizes the connection between pathology and typology. I said I just don't want to touch that as it'd be opening a whole other can of worms ;P
Again, as I said to you on another thread, I have found CBT, ACT, Zen, mindfulness practices, meditation and other forms of therapy, short term medications, effective (and far more relevant) in overcoming or sorting through past trauma/illness and more. I don't think Type is all that relevant, since I don't find the Enneagram appropriate for dealing with something as complex as these issues. If some general growth strategies help, sure, use them.

So, I don't consider type or the Enneagram, by itself, instrumental in recovering from PDs, past trauma and so on. I've never used it that way. =) For some, if it helps, it may become a part of their psychospiritual arsenal, but it surely wouldn't be the primary means of overcoming what you mentioned.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts