Personality Cafe banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So from my understanding its about perceiving with your 5 senses without deeper perception or judgement. So what does this mean for me as an aux-Se user? What use does it have to me? How do I use it? What does it mean for my Dom Function and how I express it?

Like, everybody perceives with their senses so whats special about having strong SE?

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
You see shit and react in real time. I'n a car with no brakes. you need to stop ya already garbed the hand brake. Fast reaction in the here and now.

To put it into perspective Ne is slower
I'm like oh shit brakes don't work .............gear down. Look for escape route. take escape route if needed

Reactions: drizzy lake

·
Registered
746 Posts
To simplify, if you're spending more time considering if maybe there is more beyond what you're seeing, your aux is probably a Ne user. For an ISFP, that part comes when you're alone, or while immersed in something. Ni sort of is triggered through interactivity.

Reactions: drizzy lake

·
Registered
ISTJ
1,560 Posts
So from my understanding its about perceiving with your 5 senses without deeper perception or judgement. So what does this mean for me as an aux-Se user? What use does it have to me? How do I use it? What does it mean for my Dom Function and how I express it?

Like, everybody perceives with their senses so whats special about having strong SE?
Here is an excerpt from thoughtcatalog.com regarding your question:
Auxiliary Extroverted Sensing

As an auxiliary function, Se manifests as the desire to experience and experiment with the sensory aspects that the user has determined to be the most enjoyable or useful.

The auxiliary-Se monologue: “I want to go live out the experiences that I have determined to be the best or most enjoyable and see what happens as a result.”
Not everybody is good at doing this. Some people prefer not to experiment and take more time deciding what to do. Below is an excerpt from the same source portraying the inferior usage of Se:

The inferior-Se monologue (prior to maturation): “I must analyze all possible outcomes of a sensory experience, as the physical world is subject to change unexpectedly, at any time.”
As you can see, the order in which Se is preferred in different people does result in different mind sets and behaviors. You are right, everybody perceives using their five senses, but their preference as to how much of it they take in and how it is used differs greatly, depending on the person. I wish I had better Se, mine sucks real bad.

The link to the full posting is here: https://thoughtcatalog.com/heidi-pr...fests-based-on-its-position-in-your-stacking/

·
Registered
135 Posts

From my understanding...

Se: "It is hotter outside today than yesterday." <- Something everyone around him will note/agree with.

Si: "It is too hot outside." <- Something perhaps a few people will agree with. You'll probably hear a few "I don't think it's that hot!" comments.

·
Registered
374 Posts

When you want to comprehend the nature of Se, and what makes it so special, looking at its neuroscience can be really helpful!

According to what I've read and seen on youtube by other researchers (specifically Geek Psychology), when an Se dom's brain is just cruising through space and time, not really active or experiencing or focusing on anything, all the regions are out of synch. The brain may ever show up as inactive, slow and still.
It's conserving energy, waiting. Like a crocodile under the water.

But all of a sudden, when something they are meant to pay attention to shows up, THE WHOLE THING LIGHTS UP. In synch, ready, snapping fast and accurately, with all the energy in the freaking world like the crocodile.
They give that moment of reaction all they've got, so to speak.

I've seen Se doms with these adorable numb faces where they aren't really thinking about anything, they're just on rest mode, getting ready like a spider.
Then I see them with this overwhelming amount of energy that will last for days.

When I read this, I have to admit, my respect for Se doms went way up.
This is actually freaking cool!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good timing, just today I actually realized that I was kind oft supressing my Se.

And this
when an Se dom's brain is just cruising through space and time, not really active or experiencing or focusing on anything, all the regions are out of synch. The brain may ever show up as inactive, slow and still.
It's conserving energy, waiting. Like a crocodile under the water.

But all of a sudden, when something they are meant to pay attention to shows up, THE WHOLE THING LIGHTS UP. In synch, ready, snapping fast and accurately, with all the energy in the freaking world like the crocodile.
Really resonated with me. Its really like that & I think I've been accidently spending too mich time in observer mode.

Another thing I noticed is that Se is probably the most confident function. Now I may just be exegerating cuz its my #1 Extroverted function and that may be the main reason I feel this way but all I know is when I tap into ittheres not much I feel like I can't do

·
Premium Member
INTP
11,901 Posts
It means placing highest importance on the information perceived with the senses

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
The Se brain is wired to respond to things in real-time, always looking for input. Se-doms think best when moving and can't function properly while at a desk staring at a piece of paper. They have to act and respond or their brains will get bored.

It's a bit different if Se is lower in the stack, but the same principle applies. Se wants to act and cause things to happen in the world.

·
Registered
314 Posts
My 2c is that Se users are more action driven and enjoy seeking adrenaline. For example we're more likely try out a rollercoaster or go skydiving.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Se is my favorite function but I call it "the intrusive function" because it intrudes on almost all extraverted functions. It is the most realistic & therefore imposes on most areas of life.

Everyone uses the 5 senses and things but Se doms will seek to use objects to utilize these senses to the extreme. Se users are the types to hear instruments in a song that you can't. They are the types to learn by simply watching & replicating a dance move in the moment. They don't like worrying about the future nor dwelling on the past. They seize all the things tangible reality has to offer their senses and it's more extreme than other types. Because you lead with Fi or Ti first, something has to either feel right (morally) or make sense in order for you to indulge it. Since I'm Se dom, I make foolish choices above all else, THEN I build my logical systems after the experience with the real world .

Se:

- Seeks momentary pleasure & things that are stimulating to the 5 senses
- Reads body language
- Places a great deal of pride in style, (whether speech, clothing, musical tastes, jewelry, etc..)
- Acts on impulsive
- Can be indulgent
- Mostly worried about the specific moment
-Enjoys extreme physical interaction/exertion
- Image Conscious : Knows how to form a strong bodily "presence" to impact a crowd or individuals a certain way.

Since you're Se aux, your Se mostly supports your dom. I don't know how that works though.. It's odd to me since I'm an extravert, I can't fathom it. I imagine you are less impulsive and feel/think things through more than the dom does. If ISFP -- You find ways to express your feeling through art forms and maybe enjoy sporty stuff to release inner tension, created by pint up moods that need release . If ISTP, you will probably seek to simply do things that add to your logical compartments whatever those may be. Not all ISTPs will be into fixing cars and not all ISFPs will paint pretty pictures. It depends on what you're into but that Se has to bow to Ti or Fi, though. It is your compass.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a lot, all the responses were actually really helpful for not just Se-understanding but even for understanding myself better. :)

It also explains my A1 goalkeeper skillz

·
Banned
2,152 Posts
You see shit and react in real time. I'n a car with no brakes. you need to stop ya already garbed the hand brake. Fast reaction in the here and now.

To put it into perspective Ne is slower
I'm like oh shit brakes don't work .............gear down. Look for escape route. take escape route if needed
That may be. My inferior function is Se, according to MBTI, so maybe to differentiate -- I've learned to turn an acute awareness of the sensory world, which is probably basically adversarial for me (just learned behaviors like street smarts, "watch it, buddy, I'm walking here," kind of like "hell with you, just stay out of my way"), into a slight positive in having quick physical reactions and reflects, being aware quickly of my surroundings and what I need from it, aware of what kind of pace I choose to have when walking, doing an errand, etc.

Maybe it would be fair to say that an Auxiliary Se didn't have to put some thought and effort into deciding that's how to be, more naturally-occurring, I guess.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts