Walkabout
Das Boot
The Power of One
Legends of the Fall
The Last Emperor

·
Registered
279 Posts
Black Mirror. This is proper classic "what if" scifi. Anthology series like Twilight Zone was, with a brand new story every episode. But dealing with topics of modern and future tech. So good.
Tried it after I saw it here (because it referenced Twilight Zone), 3 seasons gone in the wind, in like, less than 3 days :D Thanks for the recommendation :)

·
Plague Doctor
5,927 Posts
If you're looking for some stimulating TV shows to watch:

LOST
The Leftovers
The OA
Black Mirror
Westworld

Basically, these are shows that had my (Ni?) brain working over-time for figuring out what the "something more" was in each show.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Requiem for a dream
One flew over a cuckoos nest
Memento

Tv shows
West world
Damages

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
763 Posts
If you're looking for a movie that requires effort to understand, Mulholland dr. is of that type. So are Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Donnie Darko and Memento. There is a movie called Primer which is science fiction with only several thousand dollars budget. It is quite well done and quite stimulating in terms of effort to understand.

I'd also recommend the TV show Black Mirror.

• Le menage modern de madame butterfly
I was a little surprised when I googled that. I'd say the type of stimulation this would provide is completely different ;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Passengers
Pulse Trilogy
Stigmata
The Order
From Hell
The Raven
The Fountain
Perfume: The Story of a Murderer
The Libertine
The entire Sherlock BBC series
The Illusionist
The Prestige
Alien Covenant
Dark City

·
Registered
141 Posts
Crimson Tide

A frightening movie about nuclear war being around the corner, and the two heads of a nuclear submarine's differing ideologies towards war ends up creating a mutiny and disaster on a Nuclear submarine. Did I mention it has Denzel Washington and Gene Hackman? They work well together in this film, Denzel plays the cool, calm calculating dude, Hackman plays the old haggard captain that is rooted in his old ways. Give it a watch

One of the more interesting conversations in the movie.. Hans Zimmer kills the soundtrack too

·
Registered
160 Posts
My recommendations :

Into the Wild
V for Vendetta
Donnie Darko
I second these ^^

Also:

The Diving Bell and the Butterfly
12 Angry Men (1957)
Big Fish
The Curious Case on Benjamin Button
Moulin Rouge!
The Island
Trainspotting
The Men Who Stare at Goats
Amélie

Could add more but will stop there..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Revolver - A film about the ego.. All of the characters in the film represent some form of the psyche or some untouchable core values held on to by them

I also recommend Crimson Tide. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackmans' performances are top-class. The film is about a nuclear submarine in the field, struggling with leadership/morale problems and what to do if the two senior officers on a submarine cannot agree on a decision. This is one of those "world war 3 around the corner films", but it feels authentic as fuck with a CNN styled news report to set the story

Just some philosophy to get you interested, this is one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITE films.
If you liked Hunt for Red October/Das Boot you will appreciate a film like this

·
EvilShoutyRudolph
5,099 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts

·
Banned
73 Posts
Deep Throat.
Or did you mean intellectually stimulating? I know not everybody gets off to Watergate.
Then I second The Fountain and Revolver.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Revolver - A film about the ego.. All of the characters in the film represent some form of the psyche or some untouchable core values held on to by them

I also recommend Crimson Tide. Denzel Washington and Gene Hackmans' performances are top-class. The film is about a nuclear submarine in the field, struggling with leadership/morale problems and what to do if the two senior officers on a submarine cannot agree on a decision. This is one of those "world war 3 around the corner films", but it feels authentic as fuck with a CNN styled news report to set the story

Just some philosophy to get you interested, this is one of my ALL TIME FAVOURITE films.
If you liked Hunt for Red October/Das Boot you will appreciate a film like this

Interesting to see somebody praise this movie. It seems everyone hates it. You're not gonna tell me you like U-571 as well, are you?

21 - 39 of 39 Posts