Personality Cafe banner

Are you or are you not stimulated by social interaction? You define it.

• I'm introverted and I am stimulated by social interaction

Votes: 23 33.8%
  • I'm introverted and I am not stimulated by social interaction

Votes: 21 30.9%
  • I'm extroverted and I am stimulated by social interaction

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I'm extroverted and I am not stimulated by social interaction

Votes: 6 8.8%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We all know the theory of extroverts and introverts; Introverts are drained by social interaction, and extroverts are energized by social interaction. But we also know it's not that simple. Rarely, there are ambiverts and there are some who are energized by only certain social encounters. Everyone needs some sort of social interaction on a regular basis, I'm more interested in the results of that - the stimulation. Therefore, the purpose of this thread is to test that theory.

As an introvert, I'm stimulated by social interaction. I am not as energized, and I don't need it as much as an extrovert may, but I am stimulated by it at the moment of the interaction, and my mood shifts after having social interaction.

I'm interested in knowing whether some extoverts are tired by any specific social encounters, to what extent, (although I expect this to be less common) and whether introverts are somewhat energized by any.

Reactions: VoiceOfSilver

·
Registered
999 Posts
Social interaction is stimulus - just like noise, light, etc. The difference with introverts is that they reach a point of saturation (or become *overstimulated*) more quickly. But, everybody is stimulated by social interaction. The problem is overstimulation, which causes people to need a break to desensitize from the stimulus.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
Good question, and yes, I am extraverted and am stimulated by social interactions. But if I'm stuck in a group that I don't like to hang out with, it will most likely drain me and make me want to stay away from the group.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Social interaction is stimulus - just like noise, light, etc. The difference with introverts is that they reach a point of saturation (or become *overstimulated*) more quickly. But, everybody is stimulated by social interaction. The problem is overstimulation, which causes people to need a break to desensitize from the stimulus.
My goal is to see if there are other introverts that are energized from that stimulus and then drained instead of soley stimulated and drained.

·
Registered
709 Posts
This. Social interaction in general will stimulate me, though I tend to be a little quieter than many, so excessive lights, sounds, etc. will drain me quickly. It just depends on the type/amount of the stimulus. But, for the sake of this poll, I put myself down as an extrovert who is stimulated by social interaction (surprise, eh?), as that tends to be the general trend for me.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
instead of soley stimulated and drained.
If this were the case, introverts would probably have some kind of neurological disorder, since this is maladaptive, while actual introversion isn't a pathology that gets in the way of adaptation in healthy degrees.

Reactions: LiquidLight

·
Registered
INTP / ILE
1,309 Posts
Good question, and yes, I am extraverted and am stimulated by social interactions. But if I'm stuck in a group that I don't like to hang out with, it will most likely drain me and make me want to stay away from the group.
I am introverted and if I am in a group that I like to hang out with I am stimulated by social interactions, until a certain point. But if this isn´t the case it will most likely drain me and make me want to stay away from the group.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm an ambivert (Ti introvert but perceived by others as an extrovert..). I get stimulated by social interactions to some extent, depending on the people and if they know "what is going on in my head". But often as soon as there is someone i'm unfamiliar with, I quiet down and switch to observing and "dissecting" and analyzing their behavior. **not saying that others don't do so

I don't exactly get energized by socializing in general, however with the ones who has gotten under my skin I energize a lot. Sometimes during a conversation I suddenly blank out because i need to think, else I do need solitude to recharge.

I can come off as hyper and energetic, yet there are veryyyyy few (e.g. a 5 friend) who didn't "buy the facade". I can't go without being accepted (which I guess is the 6w5), but then again I don't like swarms of people around me, though I usually swarm in and out of different groups daily making sure that things haven't changed since yesterday or a week ago.

BUT I love e.g. parties as soon as I get there, but if I "think" about going then I don't want to go. Occasionally, after assessing different aspects, I'll "mark" this event as "Do instead of think" as long as I generally think I won't regret.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If this were the case, introverts would probably have some kind of neurological disorder, since this is maladaptive, while actual introversion isn't a pathology that gets in the way of adaptation in healthy degrees.
Then would you care to explain your definition of introversion?

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
Introversion is where a person gets their energy from. Obviously, an introvert would have a severe neurological disorder if they couldn't even secure enough motivational energy from their inner world to interact with the outer world, even if they're applying all the strength they can muster to it. After all, this would mean that their dominant function is disfunctional, which would pretty much be the undoing of a person's sanity.

Reactions: koalaroo

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
You're right, it's not that simple. And that's why I can't answer this question because it strongly depends on who I'm interacting with. An interaction which wastes my time is terribly draining.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It depends on the interaction. If it is positive and I am content and included, then yes, I am stimulated. But when it's negative and I am ignored or in an uncomfortable situation I am very drained.

Reactions: Bel Esprit

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Introversion is where a person gets their energy from. Obviously, an introvert would have a severe neurological disorder if they couldn't even secure enough motivational energy from their inner world to interact with the outer world, even if they're applying all the strength they can muster to it. After all, this would mean that their dominant function is disfunctional, which would pretty much be the undoing of a person's sanity.
I never implied anything of the sort.
Sure, the introvert can gain energy from themselves in order to socially interact. But it's impossible for an introvert to be energized by a social interaction without being drained. That would make them an extrovert.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
But it's impossible for an introvert to be energized by a social interaction without being drained. That would make them an extrovert.
You're oversimplifying it. Surely introverts will experience a social interaction without being drained. Because if they didn't, that would mean that they can't interact without suffering health problems from it. There has to be some leeway for them, even if it is less than extroverts on average. It's all just relative.

Reactions: Spades

·
Ace of Spades
7w6 4w3 1w9 sp/so; Ni/Ne/Te-dom
3,253 Posts
You're oversimplifying it. Surely introverts will experience a social interaction without being drained. Because if they didn't, that would mean that they can't interact without suffering health problems from it. There has to be some leeway for them, even if it is less than extroverts on average. It's all just relative.
I'm still of the opinion that's it's more of a scale than a dichotomy *gets torn apart by purists*. I mean, you can see it all around. I think a lot of people mistype as introverts just because their idea of an "extrovert" is those extreme extroverts that can go on for days being with people (sounds draining to me personally). By the energy definition, it's most definitely a scale. By the JCF definition, maybe less so, but then it has nothing to do with "people" and everything to do with "external" logic/values/sensation/intuition.

·
Registered
4,382 Posts
@Spades

Yup, I 100% agree with you. The I/E stuff is pretty meaningless if the cognitive functions aren't addressed. The I/E labels tend to break down a lot in reality and tend to depend a lot on whether or not a person is comfortable with their aux. function. It seems to me from observations that a lot of introverts that "use" their aux. function on par with the dominant are on the brink of ambiversion, which is a lot of people I know. I usually find myself going off of whether or not someone is better at engaging with one person at a time, or larger groups to draw further conclusions, but that's still a gray area, no matter how many ways it's tested.

Reactions: Spades

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I understand what you're saying so let me word it a little differently.

Both introverts and extroverts are drained by social interaction, eventually. More energy is spent from an introvert during an interaction than an extrovert.

But what I am attempting to do is compare an introvert who is energized by an interaction to one who is not. Some introverts lose more energy faster than others, and for some, socializing does nothing for their state of mind.
When I interact or participate in small-talk my mood changes and I'm instantly ready for more. I haven't known this to be common among introverts so I decided to investigate this phenomenon by making this thread. That is all.

·
Registered
28 Posts
But what I am attempting to do is compare an introvert who is energized by an interaction to one who is not. Some introverts lose more energy faster than others, and for some, socializing does nothing for their state of mind.
When I interact or participate in small-talk my mood changes and I'm instantly ready for more. I haven't known this to be common among introverts so I decided to investigate this phenomenon by making this thread. That is all.
I'm an extreme introvert.

I agree that when interacting/participating there are times when I am very conscious of my mood changing & I will say that I have experienced a few times where I was ready for more interaction. It certainly doesn't happen all the time, but it's happened enough for me to wonder what was up with it.

I don't like small-talk, and it was when I was discussing a deeper topic that I felt energized & wanted the conversation to continue & even wished that I had more people to share my thoughts with.

I think that in my case it feels like I'm being energized simply because I spend SO MUCH time alone, in my own thoughts (which can be very overwhelming/depressing at times), & I rarely get the chance to share them.

I think that this will not happen with the "normal/average" introvert population as much as with the extreme introverts. (but that's just a guess based on my own experiences)

·
Registered
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm an extreme introvert.

I agree that when interacting/participating there are times when I am very conscious of my mood changing & I will say that I have experienced a few times where I was ready for more interaction. It certainly doesn't happen all the time, but it's happened enough for me to wonder what was up with it.

I don't like small-talk, and it was when I was discussing a deeper topic that I felt energized & wanted the conversation to continue & even wished that I had more people to share my thoughts with.

I think that in my case it feels like I'm being energized simply because I spend SO MUCH time alone, in my own thoughts (which can be very overwhelming/depressing at times), & I rarely get the chance to share them.

I think that this will not happen with the "normal/average" introvert population as much as with the extreme introverts. (but that's just a guess based on my own experiences)
I am almost exactly this way, but I am often energized by small-talk as well as meaningful conversation, even though I generally dislike it. Sadly, it may be my small ego and emotionality that needs reassurance and positivity from others. Just knowing that I am signifigant and involved in others enjoyment helps me get through my day. I'm sure it does for most, especially extroverts, but I think I depend on it more than the "average" introvert.

I am also an extreme introvert and prefer to spend most of my time alone or with few friends so there may be some correlation here.

The poll results are interesting though. The number of introverts not having stimulis or energy from interaction exceeded those who did in the beginning. It's now the opposite.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts