Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you ever thought of changing or hiding your INFP traits in order to fit in better with those around you? Like totally switch your whole personality up?

I did that before--it was working great--got lots of friends and lots of tang but I forgot that I had to be that way 24/7 or else people would see through me. Long story short, I couldn't keep up the act and I lost my favor with many of my peers.

You guys have any stories of changing/compromising who you are? Or at least know someone who did?

·
Registered
91 Posts
No, there are definitely times when I WISH I weren't and INFP but I don't know how to be anyone but myself and trying to be someone else would just feel totally....hmm....well, I would feel like a liar and fraud. I don't think I could do it.

Reactions: Macona

·
Registered
120 Posts
Thought about it; Yes. Done it; No. As I've grown older I have slowly accepted myself. This is pretty cliche, but if people don't like you for who you are, then that's THEIR problem. And I'm sure all types have their days they would be someone else.

Edit: I re-read my post and thought I was coming across abit rough..

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thought about it; Yes. Done it; No. As I've grown older I have slowly accepted myself. This is pretty cliche, but if people don't like you for who you are, then that's THEIR problem. And I'm sure all types have their days they would be someone else.

Edit: I re-read my post and thought I was coming across abit rough..
Yeah I can vibe with that man.

Right now I have an attitude of "Damned if I do, Damned if I don't"

I can be the most perfect person in the world and someone wont like it. So I'll just go for broke being me, shake a few hands, and kiss a few babies on the campaign trail to self acceptance.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Ah, no. I love being an INFP. I wouldn't have it any other way, although occasionally I will use T or E. That doesn't mean I'm acting out of character though... I'm not living a lie. I channel my INFP through extraversion, and I channel my way of thinking into logic.

I live by the philosophy of no lies. I don't think there's anything someone could ask me which I wouldn't answer completely honestly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
No. Pretty much if someone does not like the way I am, then that is that. I have no reason to hide who I am, and I HATE being fake. You see, I don't even want to attract just anyone, and rather attract people that are like me. Remember, I seek at least 1 close intimate friend at minimum that has a similar lifestyle to mines and that is all I can live with. Its sorta like a magnet, and you have to wait to see if something sticks or not. If not, I can live with as I have done for years now.

I can easily see being like that leading to some kind of burn out if I end up attracting a lot of people that way, and I am already not the most emotionally stable person already. I had enough of that when I was younger anyway. Why are you this? Why do you act like this? You see, I don't play by no ones rules, I play by my own. Its just I have different way of seeing life, and pretending I'm someone else to fit in with the crowd is not apart of my path.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Ya i've done it!

IT GRADUALLY F.A.I.L.E.D AND IT WAS DAMN EMBARASSING :sad:

This was a few years back when i was attending the orientation in my company,there were bout 60+ executives attending,it was a 5 weeks orientation program. I knew at all times tha I'm poor at socializing, but i wanted to be noticed and wanted people to see my talents (im gifted in public speaking) so I decided to be friendly with the Extroverts group, forced myself to be chatty n loose whenever around them. My best fren was an E type (im assuming) and was a very sweet girl so she fits in very easily, the boys liked her, liked to tease her n she knows how to handle/respond to them sweetly. :happy:

Half way through the 5 weeks, i grew tired of pretending; i just dont know how to fit in the very energetic group and hide my INFP anymore. Im just not the kind who wants attention at lunch table or at volley court, i just want attention in class, want people to look up at my speaking skills.

I began to intentionally go missing in action, watch TV in my room when evrybody was at the cafe playing board carom and karakoeing (i hate karaokes!!!!)....i obtained permission to go back home during weekend when everybody was having fun on a waterfall trip, i stopped talking to the Extroverts n spend my time with the Introverts most of d time. My best friend is a very balanced E, so everybody liked her whether E or I.

So ironic that, during the 1st day of the orientation, i was one of the most popular girls (being voted to be the Chief Assistant for the whole batch) but on the last day of the orientation, nobody noticed if i was even present at the closing ceremony and my best friend (who was nameless during the first few days) was voted as THE MOST POPULAR GIRL.

~~I never tried to hide my INFP anymore after that except at very very needed occasions~~

·
Banned
780 Posts
We are very good actors, I can be very ES for a while, but I'll eventually crash. It's hard to fake the other letters.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya i've done it!

IT GRADUALLY F.A.I.L.E.D AND IT WAS DAMN EMBARASSING :sad:

This was a few years back when i was attending the orientation in my company,there were bout 60+ executives attending,it was a 5 weeks orientation program. I knew at all times tha I'm poor at socializing, but i wanted to be noticed and wanted people to see my talents (im gifted in public speaking) so I decided to be friendly with the Extroverts group, forced myself to be chatty n loose whenever around them. My best fren was an E type (im assuming) and was a very sweet girl so she fits in very easily, the boys liked her, liked to tease her n she knows how to handle/respond to them sweetly. :happy:

Half way through the 5 weeks, i grew tired of pretending; i just dont know how to fit in the very energetic group and hide my INFP anymore. Im just not the kind who wants attention at lunch table or at volley court, i just want attention in class, want people to look up at my speaking skills.

I began to intentionally go missing in action, watch TV in my room when evrybody was at the cafe playing board carom and karakoeing (i hate karaokes!!!!)....i obtained permission to go back home during weekend when everybody was having fun on a waterfall trip, i stopped talking to the Extroverts n spend my time with the Introverts most of d time. My best friend is a very balanced E, so everybody liked her whether E or I.

So ironic that, during the 1st day of the orientation, i was one of the most popular girls (being voted to be the Chief Assistant for the whole batch) but on the last day of the orientation, nobody noticed if i was even present at the closing ceremony and my best friend (who was nameless during the first few days) was voted as THE MOST POPULAR GIRL.

~~I never tried to hide my INFP anymore after that except at very very needed occasions~~

That's an interesting turn of events. Guess you really can't mask your natural inclinations.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I've never looked at INFP as personality. INFP will not tell you if I prefer skydiving or if I prefer staying home to read.

INFP is behavior. Ps tend to procrastinate. That behavior isn't conducive to certain things like maintaining a job. So Ps learn to suppress their P tendencies and show up on time for work. Does this really mean they're behaving out of character and changing who they are if they show up to work on time?

INFP has alot of positive and negative behavior traits associated with this type. There's many things that I want to do and to be that isn't as easy for an INFP. I mitigate the behavior that isn't conducive to me reaching my Ideal Self, so does that mean I'm not being myself because I minimize the more irritating qualities of being INFP?

I think a person is always who they are even when they're trying on different behavior. I don't think it's possible for a person to not be themselves. I think it's possible to do things that's outside your comfort zone and not your preferred behavior. However, even when your doing that, you're you. Who else could you be?

·
Registered
242 Posts
It doesn't bother me. I'd like to develop a little stronger Se and Ti because I think I'd be more balanced. Other than that, no. I'm OK with me. :)

·
Registered
751 Posts
I used to hide my INFPness, which was before I even knew anything about the MBTI. I tried to suppress it because I thought I was abnormal.

Now I'm happy to embrace it and I tend to have it in a more watered down form but it run loose and soar free when I'm by myself.

I wouldn't mind being able to develop the Te, if only just a little. Knowing how to get things done and how to categorise better would help.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
Have any of you ever thought of changing or hiding your INFP traits in order to fit in better with those around you? Like totally switch your whole personality up?

I did that before--it was working great--got lots of friends and lots of tang but I forgot that I had to be that way 24/7 or else people would see through me. Long story short, I couldn't keep up the act and I lost my favor with many of my peers.

You guys have any stories of changing/compromising who you are? Or at least know someone who did?

I have not read any replies so if someone else has already said this then sorry for repeats. So here goes. Why on earth would I want to hide who I am? And why on earth would I want to be around other people? They have nothing to add or offer to my life.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I tried altering my personality once to more of an EXTX but just knowing that I was actually putting forth a conscious effort to fit in turned me off from the idea (and it's really exhausting). And when your not being your natural self man it shows and comes off looking bad, like more awkward (imo)than my usual self. The biggest con about pretending to be someone else is attracting all the wrong people. I have learned that I will be appreciated more for me if I just stopped fighting who I really am.

Reactions: Kyo and starflower

·
Registered
326 Posts
Whahaha. This reminds me of a really embarassing episode I had a few years ago. We had just moved to Spain. In the first week of my new school, I decided I would go out of my way to get integrated in class. So I decided to act like some sort of lameass ESTP, talking to the cool guys about chickaz and Ferraris. Or worse, coming to school with a fuggin' HEAD BAND. Totally not me.
Anyway, after about a week or so I was totally fed up with it. The worse part was, I had inadvertently got myself the unwanted attention of some girls in the year below me. They were yelling "guapo guapo" at me whenever I went past them in the school corridors, in a tone of voice that I assumed to be mocking. One day one of them came up to me and handed me a piece of paper with a message on it written in pink glitter: "You are probably the hottest guy in our school, also we think your head band is totally sexy. Signed:" followed by a list of about 12 girl names.
Needless to say, I fucking mentally collapsed that very moment. :crazy:
After a week and a half or so, I started to act like my boring old self again. Unfortunately I had to conclude that I hadn't done myself a great service acting like someone else. If I had just acted like myself from the start, only slightly less introverted (otherwise I wouldn't bother to talk to people), I would've had at least a week and a half longer to connect to someone who fits me instead of some stereotype of what I think other people think is cool.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I tried acting different before. Backfired badly. I either just ended up looking weirder or not being happy with myself and not liking myself a lot more. I know that I sometimes act a little different when talking to others on any given day, but I don't try to change my personality completely.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Sometimes I think a little more than I feel, for problem solving, academic activities and the like.

I can also exercise some judgment when I'm not directly involved in a situation.

·
Registered
6,993 Posts
I give up trying to overdo myself in justifying what INFP means and I give up disliking it..I'd rather be INFP..Why should I stop? :dry: We should feel that way more often.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts