Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I try not to sound arrogant when talking to someone.
I try not to take a side in an argument unless I have some sort of deeper interest or knowledge about the subject at hand.
I try not to sound like an authority on a subject unless I am in fact an authority on that subject.

Apparently this means I second guess myself. Ugh.

Anybody else relate?

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
As long as they can promise they can do it right the first time consistently, I usually don't speak my mind, unless I'm handed the project or question and made leader to see the project through or answer the question.

But that type of thinking and persona makes me arrogant by default, doesn't it? *sigh* Damn you, Society!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
No I don't ... no wait.

In my opinion only idiots can ever be absolutely sure of anything, and that's a fact.
(I hope everyone realises that that was a joke. I'm an idiot but not that much of an idiot, seriously)

But seriously, I can relate. For example: if I had posted every post I'd ever typed out then my post count would be almost triple of what it currently is.

·
Banned
1,958 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As long as they can promise they can do it right the first time consistently, I usually don't speak my mind, unless I'm handed the project or question and made leader to see the project through or answer the question.

But that type of thinking and persona makes me arrogant by default, doesn't it? *sigh* Damn you, Society!
You certainly have more patience than I do.

I find myself speaking my mind regardless. I almost feel like its my duty to weed out the bullshit and make things go on the right path, idea wise. I see everything as a greater idea and I want to help it be the best idea it can possibly be. If I ever appear torn its because I am actually deeply upset that the idea wasn't as good as it could have been and I wish I could have been there to make it better.

I also don't want to be wrong. Most people assume that I don't want to be wrong because I'm arrogant or something, but in fact I don't want to be wrong because it could fuck over other people and ruin the flow of ideas. I try to remain neutral on everything until it is clear to me that taking a stance would make the idea better.

·
黐線 ~Chiseen~
5,240 Posts
You certainly have more patience than I do.

I believe patience and tolerance are two different things. I tell myself to not confuse the two.

I believe INTP's have the patience levels of saints.... because by trait, we are observers. It takes quite a lot to wear that patience.

Tolerance on the other hand, is how much things that irk you, that you can endure... i.e. stupidity, idiocy, inefficiency, speed/tempo, etc.

If we spot inefficiency, drown in idiocy or stupidity, in a crowd of slow and stagnancy when we know there are more optimal, better, and/or refined solutions, that tolerance level diminishes.

whereas, our patience level would maintain its balance. Otherwise, focus will be lost or blurred.

So with this said, tolerance and arrogance should go hand in hand.... patience and arrogance ,eh... I can't see the two pairing ... supplementing, yes, but not complimenting.

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts
Yep, l can sense that immediately with some people.

lt's projection on their part, because if they seemed what we see as ''undecided'' or curious about something, they'd be insecure. Not really understanding that it doesn't have to be so polarized.

l do notice though, that when l really have my mind set on something and my shet together, l can seem more solid and less curious about things and this may be interpreted as ''confidence'' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,461 Posts
Sort of. My standard mode is not giving a damn, which leads to me not really asserting anything.

People being...people, turn that into me being insecure...or something.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
No I don't ... no wait.

In my opinion only idiots can ever be absolutely sure of anything, and that's a fact.
(I hope everyone realises that that was a joke. I'm an idiot but not that much of an idiot, seriously)

But seriously, I can relate. For example: if I had posted every post I'd ever typed out then my post count would be almost triple of what it currently is.
I can so relate to that. I'll spend half an hour writing out a really long post, and then decide I'm not entirely sure I've fact checked myself well enough, so I won't post it. I do the same. I try to not take sides, or sound arrogant. Usually I do have an opinion, but unless I'm totally certain, I won't bother giving it.

·
Registered
5,991 Posts
Waiter - "What can I get for you?"

INTP - "What's the special?"

Waiter - "Sirloin Steak Tips. . . for the fifth time"

INTP - Hmm. Well I had steak a few days ago. Could I have steak again if I just had it a few days ago? I guess there's no harm. I remember I was in the shitter for a really long time last time. I bet it was just because it was rarer than usual. Oh and I did have some rolls with it too. Maybe the tips will be more well done. On the other hand, the pulled pork is really good here.

Waiter: "Sir??

INTP: Pulled pork gives me the shits too. I've got a date tomorrow. I don't want to be having the shits for my date. Although I guess they'd be out of my system and I'd be in the clear. I do need to smell my best and not have meat sweats.

Waiter: "Sir!?

INTP: "SAUERKRAUT!!"

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
I have developed the ultimate program to get rid of second guessing

Step 1: Buy a plastic baby and a pineapple
Step 2: Gutter the baby and the pineapple
Step 3: Fill the plastic baby with the pineapple fillings
Step 4: Dress up as the opposite gender
Step 5: For one week you will walk around with your baby and initiate conversations with everyone you see. Mainly you will talk about your baby, which is the center of all your made-up stories. Make the people believe all the stuff and that the baby is real.

If you successfully pull off step 1-5 without asking all the time "what the fuck?", you are healed. If not repeat step 1-5.

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
Yep, l can sense that immediately with some people.

lt's projection on their part, because if they seemed what we see as ''undecided'' or curious about something, they'd be insecure. Not really understanding that it doesn't have to be so polarized.

l do notice though, that when l really have my mind set on something and my shet together, l can seem more solid and less curious about things and this may be interpreted as ''confidence'' :rolleyes:
What comes off as confidence vs uncertainty is really "knowing" vs "not knowing."

The more sure something is true, the more I act on it.
But I have trouble defending, promoting, or demanding things that I'm not yet sure about.

Much confidence I have now in life comes from experience -- i.e., I know from experience how things will operate, I know what works and doesn't work. Hence, I can rely on certain things much more than when they were merely possibilities that had a certain potential for failure or inaccuracy attached.

I have developed the ultimate program to get rid of second guessing

Step 1: Buy a plastic baby and an ananas
Step 2: Gutter the baby and the ananas
Step 3: Fill the plastic baby with the ananas fillings
Step 4: Dress up as the opposite gender
Step 5: For one week you will walk around with your baby and initiate conversations with everyone you see. Mainly you will talk about your baby, which is the center of all your made-up stories. Make the people believe all the stuff and that the baby is real.

If you successfully pull off step 1-5 without asking all the time "what the fuck?", you are healed. If not repeat step 1-5.
Heck, I just want to know what an "ananas" is!!!

EDIT: Too late. I Googled it.
Oh, you sneaky devious bastard! You are trying to undermine all of Western society with your fruity talk!

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
What comes off as confidence vs uncertainty is really "knowing" vs "not knowing."

But I have trouble defending, promoting, or demanding things that I'm not yet sure about.

Much confidence I have now in life comes from experience -- i.e., I know from experience how things will operate, I know what works and doesn't work. Hence, I can rely on certain things much more than when they were merely possibilities that had a certain potential for failure or inaccuracy attached.

Never succeed you will, when questioning you not stop.

Ok, I accidently used the german word for pineapple. *edit it*

·
Maid of Time
14,749 Posts
Never succeed you will, when questioning you not stop.
But master, there is still good in my father, Darth Pineapple! I smell it!
At least, until he bakes in the hot sun too long. :sad:

Reactions: that and Orchidion

·
Over 300 Confirmed Kills
10,577 Posts

EDIT: Too late. I Googled it.
Oh, you sneaky devious bastard! You are trying to undermine all of Western society with your fruity talk!
Yeah, l think the expectation with those types is that you will act like you do know, when you don't and if you don't you're a little biatch :laughing:

which is all well and good, l suppose but inhibits natural exploration of possibilities.

Depending on the situation, l'll put on the very solid face but still reserve space for internal curiousity :crazy:

Reactions: Wolfrahm
1 - 20 of 20 Posts