Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i work part time at a grocery store. i used to want to be good. i liked doing a good job. then one of the managers chose not to train me in an area i should have been trained. i had to come in every day for a few weeks and take shit from this illiterate asshole over thier own mistake. whatever, i thought. its still just minimum wage. but really it ate at me, that my boss thought there was something wrong with me beceause of someone elses mistake. this person is an instigator. she will come up to you out of the blue and begin to berate and talk down to you over nothing, even things that aren't even really mistakes. then , as i've reported , they hired a guy who would regularly take breaks that lasted up to an hour (opposed to 15 minutes) and the management did nothing, when i reported it i was ignored and infantalized. whenever something goes wrong, despite the cause, i am subject to berating and intillectual insults and personal attacks. this week there were several instances in which i "had to be told", and i just stopped caring. i dont give a fuck, after all that and after everything i've seen them let fly i just dont give a fuck. but who would for two days a week, and minimum wage? its not even a job at that point, its more of a hobby. as an \istj, i think of this as a problem. im thinking if i go to another job, will i have the same attitude? probably not. but still, and istj should never really think that way about their job. even so, when i join the army, they'll set me straight. get my mind right.

Reactions: IanUK

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
im thinking if i go to another job, will i have the same attitude?
Unless you decide to change, the attitude will travel with you.

even so, when i join the army, they'll set me straight. get my mind right.
I'm thinking you are right.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Question

So, is it just me, or do ISTJ's have issues with people thinking they're not worth anything. As in, they will put you down. I feel as though I am worth a lot more than people think I am, and thus people will put me down, like in the situation of the original poster. It irritates me, especially if it comes to an argument, and people will not take my word for something, even if I have experience with the subject at hand.

·
Banned
4,477 Posts
So, is it just me, or do ISTJ's have issues with people thinking they're not worth anything. As in, they will put you down. I feel as though I am worth a lot more than people think I am, and thus people will put me down, like in the situation of the original poster. It irritates me, especially if it comes to an argument, and people will not take my word for something, even if I have experience with the subject at hand.
Sometimes people are a bit "clickish" and if you don't fit in they don't respect you, but other times its about seeming certain and very knowledgeable, and until you can do that they may not trust you.

I think we are less self-conscious about how we present ourselves to others than say an ESTJ amongst others. We are who we are, and others need to learn to accept that otherwise you need to get out of there, which was Mercer's case.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
It comes down to not knowing how to interact with people. Read the "So Lonely" thread to get a better handle on this.

Reactions: Sela

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
If people underestimate me, that's their loss. Sometimes people might not appreciate my talents and skills and what I am worth but I work to change that opinion of theirs. Generally, I don't have such problems though because if someone was being unreasonable to me then I would tell them that in no uncertain terms I am about to accept their unreasonable behaviour. And people generally don't underestimate me though, mainly because I am sure to make myself known and of my talents.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Unless you decide to change, the attitude will travel with you.
I find that in such situations, when I start anew- all my previous feelings cease to be and I embrace the task as a new beginning. Start with new attitude annd motivations. If that is the case with ISTJ's in general, then Mercer shouldn't have the same attitude in the new job after he's had time to cool down and reflect back and the situation is done and over with.

To Mercer: I think you are very justified in feeling the way you are.

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
I find that in such situations, when I start anew- all my previous feelings cease to be and I embrace the task as a new beginning. Start with new attitude annd motivations. If that is the case with ISTJ's in general, then Mercer shouldn't have the same attitude in the new job after he's had time to cool down and reflect back and the situation is done and over with.

To Mercer: I think you are very justified in feeling the way you are.
Your baggage travels with you. Until you make the effort to get rid of the baggage, you will find that the same types of people give you the same types of grief, wherever you go. If you don't like how your life is going, change yourself to change everyone around you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
As Wake said, People can be cliquey. Unfortunately, I find, this is allowed in business. You will run into this again. Don't lose site of your values! Screw them. You are young and going to be moving on (Army), don't let this scar you.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I worked at Dunkin Donuts before and I had this manager who kept flaming this ESTJ worker for reasons I don't understand. She probably work harder than anybody I know and better. When she was around, everything that she has to clean up is way cleaner than anybody can do. Eventually, she felt that she had to leave. Otherwise, she's gonna need to take more crap from the manager.

There are some retarded bosses like that out there. Life is wack like that.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Businesses can be tricky and occasionally unfair. I work alongside 6 extroverted feelers and a boss that hated me as soon as I was hired(by the previous boss who was leaving shortly after hiring me) at the start of the summer. Eventually we all got along, but I think that finding a job where you can work through a computer or with little communication is better than working with a job involving a lot of people. After college, I plan to work for the government so I have better benefits and stand a better chance of working alone. The army sounds like a good place for you though, because a lot of the people who join are in the same boat as you are.

Good luck :proud:

Reactions: niss

·
Registered
947 Posts
Dude, leave. Or wrap your head around it and get over it. There is a solution to every problem. If you can't find a solution within, leave. Not doing anything is NOT a solution and will only get worse with time until you walk in with an Uzi one day, no one wants that.

Of course you're attitude wont be the same at a new job with a different atmosphere. I realize getting caught up in the moment can becoming blinding, but i'm really surprised you can't see all this. I'm currently working for a complete asshole myself that belittles me on a daily basis, I just don't give a fuck, I don't let it get to me. But I put up with it because i'm learning good things, hours are good and my paycheck is tolerable. You on the other hand don't have any of that going for you.... so the only real advantage to staying there is to use it as an exercise to get control of your head and work around this thing... learn to not let things bother you, or change them. (i.e. if the pressure is to overwhelming, find a new job)

·
Banned
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
so, the next time i am accosted for someone else not doing their job right or blamed for something very minor for which i am not caulpabe, what should i do? usually i take the stare blankly and give only vague one word responses. should i start justifying myslef to society's bottom %10 or should I take the fuck you approach?

·
MOTM May 2011
14,041 Posts
Ask them a pointed question. Something like, "Are you satisfied with what you think you know about the situation, or would you like to know the truth?" A blunt, forceful question concerning their conduct is much more forceful than ten defensive statements.

·
Registered
29 Posts
so, the next time i am accosted for someone else not doing their job right or blamed for something very minor for which i am not caulpabe, what should i do? usually i take the stare blankly and give only vague one word responses. should i start justifying myslef to society's bottom %10 or should I take the fuck you approach?
you're working in a grocery store. i do as well and it should be evident to you that people who work there are losers who have given up on their childhood (or even teen) dreams. what young person says "when i grow up i want to work in a grocery store!". it is an unskilled job that attracts ambitious people with nothing to offer but toil (hard work). these people on some level know that they're losers but most combat this with denial. there are 2 types of manager: those that hate their job & those in denial.

in summary, don't expect fairness, tolerance, empathy or respect when working a low level at a grocery store or else you be eternally be disappointed.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts