Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So there is this weird pattern of behaviour I have and I would love it if somebody else had it too.

It's like if I start something or get an email/message whatever and I don't finish it/answer it right away, I can't bring myself to catch up/start it again. <-- too vague

Let me try again: say I get an email from a friend and I don't answer it right away. I'll put it off for a while then get more and more nervous about how long is it acceptable to get back to them. Then, after awhile, I won't respond because it's too late. This is usually accompanied by the avoidance of the medium through it was sent - a friend of mine wrote something on my facebook wall - I went through the whole cycle I just detailed and now I'm not posting to facebook at all.

... anybody else like that out there? :unsure:

hello?

*crickets*

Reactions: Nasmoe and niki

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thank you cards anyone???? I'm exactly like you when it comes to that. If I don't do it right away, I realize it's a little late, get more and more uncomfortable, and never send it.

I don't even check my mail more than twice a month when it gets crammed full, and then I'll get some nice cards from the holiday that is way past and I feel like...they're just going to think I'm nuts that I'm just now receiving it now!

I'm awful with stopping and starting too. Terrible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I experience a similar sort of feeling with texting. I have a habit of leaving my phone behind while I'm out (or simply not checking it while I'm home - I don't like feeling so connected to the world at all times!), and quite frequently, hours will pass before I realize a new message has arrived. Because most people expect an instantaneous response, I feel a bit awkward/ridiculous providing one that is, by that point in time, no longer relevant or needed.

(If I do respond, I always feel the need to preface my message with a completely unnecessary/false apology of sorts (ie. "My phone was dead," "I lost reception," "I was asleep"). I don't understand myself sometimes :tongue:)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Me too! Totally! Thank you cards, emails, texts, returning phone calls, you name it!

Plus earlier I was doing some work I have to finish, I got part way through and ran out of steam and now I can't be bothered to finish it. Even though I know I have to get it done and the more I put it off the guiltier I feel about it!

·
Registered
53 Posts
Agreatparade, I'm exactly like you! This is embarrassing, but sometimes I don't check my messages all weekend! Many a weekend goes by when nobody calls me, and I'm so happy and content in my own little weekend world at home with my family that I don't even want to answer my phone or return any calls. And I constantly make up excuses. I can never say, " I just didn't want to pick up the phone." Or, "I didn't feel like talking."

·
Registered
431 Posts
I sometimes do the exact same thing, but usually I'll start to feel bad about not responding and think the other person will probably think I'm rude or something so I'll usually end up responding or maybe even make up and excuse why I was so late.

·
Registered
897 Posts
My story, all the time! :mellow:

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I do that a lot. Though I am trying to get better about it like I will at least try to respond the next day if I remember. Actually if the initial message from the person was a question then I will most likely answer that as soon as I can. After I did that and they write back, that's when I get lazy about responding.

4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I can't relate to that specific example; I always answer my messages right away. But with homework and stuff like that, the longer I wait the less I'm likely to do it..
I do it with almost everything - that was just one example to help explain

·
Registered
716 Posts
I do it with almost everything - that was just one example to help explain
Well, I think I'm doing it with most things. It's just with messages - I'm so fond of my friends and I won't let nothing in the world jeopardize my relationship with them. So even if I decided to stay home some evening and I've allready begun the awesome lone-evening and a friend calls asking if I want to hang out, I simply can't say no. And I can't ignore the call.

4,757 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I think I'm doing it with most things. It's just with messages - I'm so fond of my friends and I won't let nothing in the world jeopardize my relationship with them. So even if I decided to stay home some evening and I've allready begun the awesome lone-evening and a friend calls asking if I want to hang out, I simply can't say no. And I can't ignore the call.
I wish I could be as good with my friends. I've alienated some friends with things like this before and it totally makes me think I'm a bad friend. Fortunately most of my current friends understand how I am and don't take it personally.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts