Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just thinking about all the fairy tales and how there are so many more stories that would make great movies. :) And of course only Disney knows how to do it best!

Here's a few I thought of:
1) A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, if you didn't know already The Lion King is based on Hamlet and I think it would be cool to do another one by shakespeare.
2) Stories of Daphne and Apollo, Psyche and Eros, etc. Basically all the classic mythology stories. They already did Hercules how about some more gods?
3) The Book of Lost Things A really cool fantasy novel for about the ages 12-16. Though I read it when I was 17 lol. It's really good and combines many classic fairytales into one epic story.

If anyone has anymore ideas feel free to share! :)

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
614 Posts
Hanibal Lector would be a good one I think. It's 'horror' scenes would be almost as scary as Pinochio or Fantasia.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hanibal Lector would be a good one I think. It's 'horror' scenes would be almost as scary as Pinochio or Fantasia.
How was Pinnochio scary? Has a lot of adult themes to it. but scary?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Stories you would like to see ruined by making them into Disney movies!Fixed the title for you.
What are you talking about? Disney is awesome! I love fantasy but most other companies just don't do it as well. Like I was not a fan of Lord of the Rings. HP has a great cast but with some of the movies they left too much out. But I love Disney movies like Narnia, Maleficent, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aww no one's taking this serious :(

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Disney has done the same thing Shakespeare did: Take the popular myths and stories of the day, and sensationalize them for a target audience.

What popular myths have they not yet sensationalized?

What's wrong with that? And I listed a few stories in the first post. Greek mythology. All they have done was Hercules but there are so many more stories they could use. And of course there are so many great books out there too.

·
Host
ENTP 5w6 So/Sx 584 ILE Honorary INTJ VLFE
20,927 Posts
What's wrong with that? And I listed a few stories in the first post. Greek mythology. All they have done was Hercules but there are so many more stories they could use. And of course there are so many great books out there too.
Nothing is wrong with that! It was merely an observation (something you and I do incessantly).

I think there's a problem with revisiting the Greek myths. The Big Diz doesn't seem to like to revisit a theme once they've already done it. What about Babylon?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Nothing is wrong with that! It was merely an observation (something you and I do incessantly).

I think there's a problem with revisiting the Greek myths. The Big Diz doesn't seem to like to revisit a theme once they've already done it. What about Babylon?

They keep doing disney fairytales why not mythology? Yeah a Babylonian tale would be cool or even Egyptian :)

Reactions: Windblownhair

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
I like the Talking to Dragons series by Patricia C. Wrede. It's about a princess that runs away to live with dragons, and doesn't want a prince to come and save her (at least that's book 1). I like the snarky humor and her independent streak. Any princess movie that doesn't rely on a prince to do the saving is a good thing in my book:kitteh:

·
Registered
2,793 Posts
1) A Midsummer Night's Dream by William Shakespeare, if you didn't know already The Lion King is based on Hamlet and I think it would be cool to do another one by Shakespeare.
Ohh, I'd love to see MacBeth or Othello.

2) Stories of Daphne and Apollo, Psyche and Eros, etc. Basically all the classic mythology stories. They already did Hercules how about some more gods?
Yes! Hades and Persephone would be great.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Babylonian mythology would be great. Marduk vs. Tiamat, with songs!

Egyptian mythology - the story of Horus has plenty of potential. Some bits could be difficult: Isis can't bring Osiris back to life because a crab has eaten his penis Unless they do it as an innuendo-laden comic extravaganza, in which it's never stated outright what's been lost. "You are offensive because this page has a sword which I choose to say is not a sword."

Faust

Something based on Russian folktales - Baba Yaga, Koshchei the Deathless, the Fire Bird, the waters of life and death, rusalkas, domovoi, &c

Japanese folklore - Momo the Peach Boy?

Terry Pratchett's Tiffany Aching books

Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus - cleverer and funnier than Rowling

Walter Moers
James Branch Cabell

The Cthulthu Mythos

Into the Woods is the first move in a plan for Disney to make family-friendly adaptions of all Sondheim's works. Next up: Company, Follies, Assassins, and Sunday in the Park with George.

And @Xahhakatar, there is an all-singing, all-dancing musical version of Voltaire:

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
With songs taken from Lovecraft's poetry. Surreal non-Euclidean cartoon drawings harking back to the early days of Disney - the "Elephants on Parade" sequence in Dumbo, and Fantasia. Cthulhu rising from the sea. (Hang on! Ursula in Little Mermaid?) And everyone goes stark raving MAD and dies horribly. In agony.

Actually, what about making a movie that looks like a Disney family friendly film on the surface - and underneath, glimpsed out of the corner of the eye, it's so nightmarish that anyone who sees it goes insane?

·
Registered
7,672 Posts
I actually already wrote a song from the perspective of Abdul Alhazred.

When my words are read

They shall be abused

I cannot prevent them from being misused

I do not expect you to agree with my views

Or believe my implausible news

I'm telling the truth

This is not a lie

I have seen hundreds of innocents die

Still they believe that they still are alive

And yet they are empty inside

I know what I saw

I know what I heard