Personality Cafe banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All types can do it, but which would it be more prone to, or come more naturally to?

It would rely heavily upon the usage of the brain's right side, for a start.

·
Registered
751 Posts
I've been doing a bit of research in the past few minutes (a length of time better suited to offer only a personal opinion!) but it would seem that anybody can do so. It also depends on the genre of what you are writing. It would appear that P types (with a right brain preference) would have a greater facility with story writing than J types (with the more literal and less imaginative left brain.) However the intuitive and feeling functions are also right brain function which can allow NFJ and NT types to use the facility strongly too. Supposedly the XNFP types (being strong right brain orientated) should in theory be the most creative. But there is a sliver of my own bias in there as well as I'm supposedly INFP.

I've seen NT writing myself before and in many ways I thought it was superior to NF quality. Take the Metal Gear Solid series for example, I regard that as a superb story with plenty of NT plot elements. My writing (as good or bad as it may be) usually aims for (or subsconsciously ends up) strange or mystical with often incoherent plot ideas or atmospheres. The more 'balance' type groups could equally write a good story, even a STJ would write a novel of concrete, completely down to Earth non-fiction, which in many ways can be considered the most promising or interesting stories or plots. We all share the left and the right brain and share their respective functions to our own degrees.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Most successful writers seem to be NF's or N dominant NT's, although INF's are in the clear majority when put together. The remainder is mostly T-dom N types with good N's, usually writing cerebral, heady fiction (Neal Stephenson is an INTP and Frank Herbert an ENTJ, for instance). The odd ISFP with a very good Ni will succeed, because Fi-Ni is actually the best combo for fiction writing, which is why the best mainstream writers of the Thinkers are INTJ's (comedy aside, where Ne is best). The odd ISFP aside, Sensors tend not to excel at fiction, except defined genre writing with strict conventions. Mystery writers are frequently ISFJ, for instance.

Greatest Writers of Conventional Fiction: INFP (most emotional stories in general, most insight into the human condition)
Best Overall: INFJ (visionary dominant N function means you can spin very grand tale with enough F to bring life to the characters)
Most Inventive: ENxP (Dominant Ne is outside the box. Comic writers abound. Mark Twain = ENFP. Dickens = ENFP Evelyn Waugh = ENTP Oscar Wilde = ENTP Roald Dahl = ENTP)
Most "Literary": INxJ (also a lot of sci-fi/fantasy writers are these types it seems; they are good at grand visionary concepts, idea books...that's Ni for you. Linear imagination is great for plot and writing in general. INJ's are great thriller writers.)

Although I am an INTP, I'm not so into the heady stuff; like ENP's, my talent seems to be for comedy (although unsurprisingly many of my jokes revolve around the logical absurdity of my situations...Pythonesque, if you will). Plus, I have a very well-developed Ne. I think the Ti pushes me towards satire and black comedy...critical and merciless, just like Ti is.:crazy: My stories are admittedly fabulist; they are funny, but they would never happen in real life. But who cares? This is fiction! Dream big, or go home: that's my motto.

PS. The left brain isn't less imaginative; it's more linear. It "narrows" the creativity a bit, but it doesn't matter in fiction. Plot is linear. If they are also N's, J types usually do fine there. Also I should add that the thinking and sensing = left brain and feeling and intuition = right brain is a seperate theory to Thomson's J = left brain/P = right brain. We don't know which is true, and both can't be, because according to Thomson Fe and Ni are left brained functions, and Se and Ti right brained.

·
Registered
751 Posts
PS. The left brain isn't less imaginative; it's more linear. It "narrows" the creativity a bit, but it doesn't matter in fiction. Plot is linear. If they are also N's, J types usually do fine there. Also I should add that the thinking and sensing = left brain and feeling and intuition = right brain is a seperate theory to Thomson's J = left brain/P = right brain. We don't know which is true, and both can't be, because according to Thomson Fe and Ni are left brained functions, and Se and Ti right brained.
I apologise for that, I wasn't try to imply the left brain was less imaginative in a negative way, I was trying to imply it isn't as orientated to it as the right brain is. It's still capable of it, like you said. Linear was a better word to use in that situation. As for the theories, I will sit on the fence on this issue and won't argue with you on a sound point. I'm unfortunately one of life's little wannabe pseudo-intellectuals and it really sucks at times.

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
Aww, no don't apologize. I was just trying to clear things up. I apologize if I sounded too harsh.:sad: I was just worried that a J type might be "offended" (an INJ, probably, as they have dominant intuition, and in my experience INTJ's usually want you to know it:tongue:).

And who says you're just a wannabe intellectual? I haven't seen any of your other intellectualisms.:tongue:

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was going to start my own thread, but perhaps this is a good place to ask. I have been teaching a Creative Writing class of 5 high school students. The personalities in the class are as follows: INFJ, INTJ, ESFP, ESFP, and ENTJ. This obviously makes for an interesting combination of students. As might be expected, the most engaged and attentive are the INFJ and INTJ, who show a lot of promise. One of the ESFP girls seems somewhat interested, as is the ENTJ guy. The other ESFP, however, seems quite lost and disinterested.

My goal is to challenge and inspire everyone in the class. Any suggestions how I might appeal to each one on an individual level?

·
Registered
6,397 Posts
I don't know if this is any help, but I think Stephanie Meyer is supposed to be ESFP. Maybe you could look up her methods???

Maybe encourage her to write something with a lot of description and delicious words???

SP's thrive on fun. You could convince her that writing a story is just like performing...presenting your ideas to the world with flair and fun???

I guess try and encourage her to write her own thing. This might sound patronizing and anti-Sensor, but Meyer said she didn't much like messages or grand things, just writing about stuff people could relate to. Like love. Maybe presenting it in a down to earth way as apposed to some lofty spillig of the soul onto the page would appeal to her???

Dunno...I hope that was at least of some help!

PS. 5 students? Interesting. Do you teach at a private/small town high school or is this a club of some kind?

PPS. Have you ever taught an INTP student? I was just wondering what sorts of things (s)he excelled at and if there was any approach that worked particularly well for my type.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Maybe encourage her to write something with a lot of description and delicious words???

SP's thrive on fun. You could convince her that writing a story is just like performing...presenting your ideas to the world with flair and fun???

I guess try and encourage her to write her own thing...writing about stuff people could relate to. Like love. Maybe presenting it in a down to earth way as apposed to some lofty spilling of the soul onto the page would appeal to her???
Thank you. This approach sounds right, and I appreciate the advice.

Do you teach at a private/small town high school or is this a club of some kind?
PPS. Have you ever taught an INTP student? I was just wondering what sorts of things (s)he excelled at and if there was any approach that worked particularly well for my type.
It is more of a club...in the context of a youth ministry, and I have not yet had an INTP student.
Thanks again. I will seriously consider your advice.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts