Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever you read a description of a type with extroverted sensing and a dominant or auxillary function, there is an immediate connotation that this leads to risky behaviors. Do you think this is true or a hasty generalization? I am probably an stp, but cannot relate to the idea of risk taking. I like to go hiking and play sports, but I won't go on a roller coaster or go sky diving and such. Do you think physical risk taking a necessary part of having strong se?

·
Banned
14,865 Posts
Se is impulsive, though Se dom would be moreso than Se aux -- you can still see it to some degree in istp and isfp.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Oh, and then some change. I work with and ESTP who once rode motorcycles, hung with criminals, and layed women.

Then he had kids and became a pussy.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Pushing limits and having new experiences is se or rather should I say fun.
I think this quotes Se rather nicely. Se is simply about soaking in all the immediate sensory information the world has to offer. Therefore, we are stimulated when we are living spontaneously, letting our senses guide us to how we "live in the moment". It doesn't have to mean that we take risks.

Remember not to get stuck on stereotype. Just because you don't ride a motorcycle and bang chicks while smoking simultaneously doesn't mean that you aren't an ISTP. Be objective and look at the functions.

I also look at the motive behind actions as a big hint towards someone's personality type. For example, an ESTP may love to hike for the adrenaline rush only while an INFJ may enjoy it because it helps her to bond with her ESTP adrenaline junkie.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
I won't go on a roller coaster or go sky diving and such.
Those things aren't even risky. I see two possibilities: 1) You don't want to do those things because you don't believe you'd enjoy the sensation, or 2) you overestimate the risks because you use Ni more than Se.

·
Registered
950 Posts
As Era alluded to, we may seem like risk takers to others, but we tend not to do things they we aren't reasonably sure we can do and the greater the risk the more sure we have to be that the action can be completed. As such I don't consider myself a risk taker, even though many do simply for the fact I ride a motorbike.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
As Era alluded to, we may seem like risk takers to others, but we tend not to do things they we aren't reasonably sure we can do and the greater the risk the more sure we have to be that the action can be completed. As such I don't consider myself a risk taker, even though many do simply for the fact I ride a motorbike.
This. The risks I take are calculated. I don't do stupid.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I'm not a thrill seeker but I enjoy activities that engage my Se and Ti, and like others have said these functions allow me to do more carefully and safely things that may be riskier for others: snowboarding, truck driving, etc. Foolish people seeking to prove themselves and not actually knowing what they're doing take stupid risks that I and my ESTP friend would never take. We only do what we reasonably know we can do. I may look like I'm living on the edge but I'm actually incredibly cautious, and not remotely tempted by a dare, as for example my xNTJ friends are prone to do. I have nothing to prove. I just do what I want do and sometimes other people are impressed by it.

I suppose one way it manifests in my life is the way my friend says "what I love about you is that I never know what you're going to do next." (I'm driving a truck. I'm moving to France. I'm going to be a monk. Etc.) I don't know how, I just find interesting things to do and the opportunities to do them. I'm grateful for this life.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I actually just had a conversation with my INTJ boyfriend about this. We had gone to a rocky beach to explore, which to me has always meant that I can climb on the rocks and explore the cool stuff that can't be seen from the main path. I have never felt unsafe doing this for the same reason other STPs have expressed: I only do the things I feel safe doing. If the rocks don't look like good footing or the surf is too high, then I find another place to explore. When we got to the beach, I started my usual behavior and had a lot of fun looking for crabs and other critters in the rocks. I noticed that my INTJ did not seem happy about something, but he didn't say what. After we left the beach, he expressed that watching me climb around was making him worry about my safety. Part of our conversation went like this:

INTJ: Do you think I'm clumsy?
ISTP: No.
INTJ: Well, I've gotten injured twice trying to walk across wet logs in a river. Both times I thought it would be safe, but then I fell. Did I fall because I was clumsy?
ISTP: No, you fell because you didn't assess the footing on the logs and then tried to walk where it was dangerous.
INTJ: So you think you can perfectly see where it's safe to walk?
ISTP: I can see well enough to know that wet logs are not safe footing. I would not have even tried.
INTJ: But you were just jumping out on the rocks! How can you be sure they are safe?
ISTP: I can see the rocks are dry, and are not crumbling. They are a lot safer than a wet log. I feel confident climbing there.
INTJ: You put a lot of faith in your own ability. That's pretty cocky.
ISTP: (wishes INTJ would pay attention when she talks about Myers-Briggs so she could explain about Aux Se vs. Inf Se)

·
Registered
162 Posts
i do extremely risky things. as long as im not the first one to do it.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I am a risk taker, I only do things my common sense allows though, if it does not seem right, I am out....

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
Se and me, with living life spontaneously,the risk taking and living on on my impulses, the love affair is like a Tim Allen grunt:

·
Registered
5,125 Posts
All joking aside, I have to agree with others, I'm a very cautious person, and to me, I'm just trying to find where the boundaries are,to another person who has the boundaries already established, that may come off as defiance, risk taking. There's nothing I can do about,but I just like to go from one activity to the next. If that be risk taking, and not stopping to think what I do, so be it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts