Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strategic Computing Initiative - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This is pretty fascinating and looks like the US came pretty close to creating Skynet back in the 1980's and 1990's. I'm curious if the idea they even set out to do was possible with the technology of the time despite issues of communication and stuff like they talked about.

I'm curious what issues in communication did occur and other problems, provided tey aren't classified

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody have anything?

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody?

·
Spam-I-am
14,040 Posts
i believe this started in the 80's with IBM [international business machine] big blue project
they have been trying to build a super computer, in fact their latest advances were on jeopardy a couple of years ago
which 2 contestants were human and the 3rd was the computer
maybe some one can provide a link,
the new smart phones and tablets do use this technology and big business will profit more if it is used in civilian population v gov't

·
Banned
6,664 Posts
This is pretty fascinating and looks like the US came pretty close to creating Skynet back in the 1980's and 1990's.
Pretty close to creating Skynet? How? There's no achievements but throwing tax dollars to develop bunch of relatively useful algorithms for increasing the efficiency of logistics.

I'm curious if the idea they even set out to do was possible with the technology of the time despite issues of communication and stuff like they talked about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dead_Hand_(nuclear_war)

I'm curious what issues in communication did occur and other problems, provided tey aren't classified
https://what-if.xkcd.com/5/

·
Registered
139 Posts
Well. They tried. That's really it. :p

But yeah, no good for a gov to try at this. Takes a lot of goal-less money. Hence why its perfect that Google is playing with AI now.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was that necessary?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts