Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How common among INTPs is an interest in strategy games? I play chess and diplomacy as hobbies, and wonder who else here plays similar games (go, backgammon, bridge etc.).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I play chess but only recently; still an amateur. But, I'm honestly more of a straight up combat video game person though this is likely due to me being born with a controller in my hand. It's a family thing - even in extended.

Strategy games are good but I hate playing any by myself - it's so terribly mundane. I like feeling outsmarted for once, playing with myself is just pointless.

·
Banned
140 Posts
Love strategy games, I play Chess, and many different computer strategy games, such as: Warcraft 3, civilization 3, medieval 2 total war, and a few others.

Besides strategy games, I also like simulation and action games.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love reversi (does this count as a strategy game?). I like chess but I'm just not naturally good at chess so I try avoid it.
That surprises me. Perhaps you haven't had the correct experience or a good forum. I hypothesize that INTps are all naturally good at chess because of our logical prowess.

·
Registered
672 Posts
I'm pants at chess.:unsure: I've tried all sorts of ways to get good at it, but it simply does not interest me enough.

Anyway, love Civ, the Theme games and Sim games and most kinds of time management.

I'm heavily into MARDEK from fighunter at the moment which is billed as an RPG (and it is) but has loads of stuff you can do strategically to build up your team that you are almost building your own adventure with it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't like chess.

Nor most 1 versus 1 games, extremly stressful.

And it involves a bit too much "calculation" and not enough "intuition" for my taste.

But - that - I would love to try.

Go is very pleasant.

I generally don't like tactical games that pretend to be strategical.

I like to be so overwhelmed by data and possibilities that no decision can be made using only logic.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
I like strategy games that don't make the use of player time a resource in very short supply, like time chess or fast RTS games.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I am a master at chess and any strategy game that is not time based. However, I am a failure at RTS'. I still love Warcraft 3 and starcraft 2 though. I'm playing a lot of starcraft and I'm \hoping to increase my skills at RTS'.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I suck at chess but still like it. I always wanted to learn shogi and go. I also play Risk and real time/turn base strategy video games. i played Starcraft 2 for about 14 or more hours yesterday. Pull all nighter. I did the whole campaign beginning to end.

167 Posts
The thing with chess is I want to make my every move perfect so my mind starts constructing every possible move I can make and for each move, the consequences/benefit. Now this can take an hour for each turn and I get to a point where I get frustrated and cannot decide on a move.

I would love to be good at it but it seems I don't have the natural ability that some people possess. Yes of course you can learn tactics & strategies but I put more value on instinct/natural talent. With reversi I don't have to think much and still manage to dominate.

That surprises me. Perhaps you haven't had the correct experience or a good forum. I hypothesize that INTps are all naturally good at chess because of our logical prowess.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Well I like chess and that's about it.
I absolutely hate strategy games on PC. They're too chaotic, demanding and time-consuming and often force me to do 3 or more things simultaneously (warcraft 3 for example).

·
Registered
988 Posts
I love RISK and Go, and Monopoly (does that count?) to a lesser extent. I have always wanted to play chess, although I assume I would suck at it and I'm afraid of finding out.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Like so many others, I enjoy chess, but I'm not particularly good at it. (Chess is very Ni based.) I also really enjoyed Warcraft 3. I love Monopoly, though like chess, I am no good at it. The only guy I know who ever wants to play just destroys me. I used to play a turn based strategy game called Utopia online. That was a lot of fun, though I think the people in my "Kingdom" helped that a lot.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I would have said not so much but StarCraft II just came out and I haven't done anything since I bought it. So. Yes.

·
Banned
644 Posts
It seems that the majority of the folks on here struggle mastering the game of chess yet enjoy it. That sounds like me as well but my struggle in chess is so because of my deficient attention to detail abilities. Is this is a common INTP problem?

Other then chess, I enjoy FreeCell in my free time as a strategy game.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Free cell > traditional solitaire.

I usually chalk my mediocre chess skills up to an inability to plan ahead, but I know what you mean. There's always some piece that I forgot about that comes out of no where and blindsides me.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I love strategy games but find I have very little patience to master them. I just like playing around with the possibilities. MY strategy is entirely dominated by my Ne - with hilarious results.

I am a fair chess player - but if a sacrifice "looks" good, to hell with the fact that it'll screw me over! quite contrary to its deep thought nature, I only rarely think far ahead in chess. My play is almost entirely intuitive - I go for positions that look and feel right without analyzing why. This does work but I end up hanging more pawns than Stalin.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts