Personality Cafe banner
68821 - 68840 of 68850 Posts

·
MOTM June 2012
9,428 Posts
lmfao, you pretty much proved my point. Mexicans aren't going to NK, Cuba, ect. and I wasn't just talking about those countries either. Also, if they were so happy in Cuba they wouldn't be risking their lives to protest for their freedom. I imagine your life expectancy goes down drastically when they put you in a concentration camp. I guess if you like starving, not even having basic necessities like soap then Cuba is a nice place for you. I had dinner last night with someone who got out of Romania. He's told me stories about having no food, corruption, food lines. Fuck that.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
lmfao, you pretty much proved my point. Mexicans aren't going to NK, Cuba, ect. and I wasn't just talking about those countries either. Also, if they were so happy in Cuba they wouldn't be risking their lives to protest for their freedom. I imagine your life expectancy goes down drastically when they put you in a concentration camp. I guess if you like starving, not even having basic necessities like soap then Cuba is a nice place for you. I had dinner last night with someone who got out of Romania. He's told me stories about having no food, corruption, food lines. Fuck that.
There are no concentration camps in Cuba.
Life expectancy probably goes down in a Mississippian prison as well.
Cuba has more basic necessities provided to Cubans than Mississippi does to Mississippians especially Afro-American Mississippians (or elsewhere in the Deep South whatsoever).

Cubans and North Koreans aren't going to Mexico either...

I see the US propaganda is working very well.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,428 Posts
lmfaoooo. Just saw a woman on the news who has family still in Cuba talking about the camps. You're probably right about the prisons, but people put themselves in prison in most instances. Granted, US did have concentration camps in WWII. In any case, probably about the same in the inner cities. Both ghettos, just different kinds of ghettos. At least they have stocked shelves when you walk into a grocery store and no one's waiting hours in food lines. Mexico is another shithole, no wonder people aren't going there either. All want to go to the US.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
lmfaoooo. Just saw a woman on the news who has family still in Cuba talking about the camps. You're probably right about the prisons, but people put themselves in prison in most instances. Granted, US did have concentration camps in WWII. In any case, probably about the same in the inner cities. Both ghettos, just different kinds of ghettos. At least they have stocked shelves when you walk into a grocery store and no one's waiting hours in food lines. Mexico is another shithole, no wonder people aren't going there either. All want to go to the US.
Wow, you coincidentally just saw - while we're discussing this - on the news that some woman still has family left in the camps. Do you care to tell us what news channel?

Waiting hours in a food line is still better than having no food... which is the case in many countries. The food shortages in Cuba are due to two factors: 1. The covid crisis has a high impact on all countries and countries that aren't as rich as the US get in trouble, and 2. There is an international, primarily US blockade of Cuba. Of course, if you block a country in terms of trade, they'll get poorer. It just proofs your sanctions do work, so... we could all ask ourselves the question: are the problems in Cuba caused by the Cuban government or by the international harsh sanctions on them. If the goal of the US is to starve Cuban citizens in order to proof that their systems does not work, they're well succeeding in it. And yes, it's a way to incite revolution just like how they've done in literally every other non-EU country in the past.

From a US perspective, every other country is a "shithole". And aside of Canada, all country GDP's per capita output outside of the US, regardless of their economic system of whether they're democratic or a dictatorship far is outweighed by the US.

Also, i didn't know Cubans did care that much about Catalonia that they all come to the streets to Havana and wear Catalan flags...

I might have a theory.

During Trump's first inauguration at the US capitol when more people than ever came to the White House to celebrate Trump's victory and when Trump and the US White House press more people went to Washington than during Obama's inaugurations... perhaps half of those people were also Cuban protestors he saw?

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Also @Stable Genius; I vote for Belgian communists, not for any other communists...

Communism is not one single ideology, just like no ideology is. There might be similarities but in truth: "communism is not a single ideology".

If communism doesn't work, i would like you to care to explain why an agrarian society with very high illiteracy managed to sent the first men in the world into space by them only 50 years later... even beating the US in the race towards it (Joeri Gagarin).

Not every communist leader is good obviously, just like not every capitalist leader is good either. However there are few countries that went communist where life was better than before communism was there, and few countries where communism once was where life is suddenly so much better. It's not like Russia is the best example of a liberal democracy today and that Russia and US don't have a conflict anymore. And before communism was there, there were frequent famines and there was oppression by the Russian tsar regime.

In North Korea, the country was annexed by a Japanese military society that looked down on Koreans (still the reason why Koreans and Japanese don't get along this well).

Cuba before Castro and Che Guevara changed the country was a brutal military dictatorship under leadership of Batista.

In Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia the country was colonized by the French

Many communists in those countries used to be anti-colonialism and fought fiercely against the suppression of those powers.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts

@Stable Genius; also a proof of how much you should believe your own US media...

In our country fox news is sometimes compared to north korea state media. The media also do have interests that are not always the same as our interests, and it's important to know that the media isn't always correct.

1. The wording or the "atmosphere" of the message is very important, but 2. it's not only what they tell you, you should be wary off... Sometimes it's EXACTLY what they don't tell you, that is the issue.

The media has the power to influence our minds, to "exaggerate" problems, while being silent about other problems, sometimes even unintentionally. Some conflicts get coverage, others get not. Sometimes according to their interests, sometimes to their bias (who cares about what happens in Africa?), sometimes it's also about what the viewer wants to see... This is the case for everything...

There is this myth that Yellowstone is the most dangerous supervolcano in the world... In reality while dangerous sure but with infrequent eruptions - it's by far not... America's not the center of the universe.

An eruption of Yellowstone isn't "the big danger", it's an eruption of a volcano we might not know off or do not know the full extent of it's size and what it is capable off, that is the issue, but as other countries are poorer than the US, they're less well studied.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
LOL...

Some thieves in Belgium stole expensive police bicycles in the garage of the police headquarters!!!

·
Registered
INFP, 4w5 sp/sx
1,114 Posts
It feels so weird being back here. So many people have gone. And there's only a few who I've kept in touch with over the years. The forum doesn't even look the same anymore either. It's a different place. I hope everyone is well though.
There's something about the smaller profile pictures that makes me feel like each post is less personalized. I guess I'm just used to the old format style. I actually feel the same every time I take a break from here and come back some time later. I'm glad to see that you're still around though, hope all is well with you.

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Aw, man. I can't believe I'm only now finding out about Blucifer. Caught a red-eye out of Denver once and completely missed it in the dark.

Bluey is disappointed as well:

·
MOTM June 2012
9,428 Posts
Aw, man. I can't believe I'm only now finding out about Blucifer. Caught a red-eye out of Denver once and completely missed it in the dark.

Bluey is disappointed as well:

They say it's cursed because it killed a man when they were putting it up and it fell on top of him. I want to say it was the designer, but I might be wrong about that one. Are the murals still there.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
I've been reading about the past climates in the USA... Well

There is evidence Florida used to be once a desert around 20.000 years ago during the end of the last ice age
Around 5000 years ago, subtropical rainforests reached New Jersey, probably due to a larger number of hurricanes reaching the East Coast.
By that time California was also much more dry and hotter than it was today with warmer and drier conditions in the entire west coast, parts of Washington and British Colombia being much hotter and dry and deserts creeping there

ONLY 5000 years ago... wow.

·
Registered
668 Posts
Wow, i didn't know the only immigrants towards the USA were Cuban and North Korean...
There are no Mexican, Guatemalian, immigrants etc...

The life standard in Cuba is much better than any other country with a similar GDP or it's region. Life expectancy - despite the GDP difference - is even higher in Cuba than in Mississippi lol...
I work with a bunch ov Cubans here in the UK, and although my conversations with them is very limited, as my Spanish is practically 0 and there English not to great, and i know they dont represent a whole country. But the ones i know hate communism because the standard ov living as a Cuban over there is absolute dire.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
The Icelandic volcano eruption erupted 0.12km3. Hmm that's getting better @attic; However Laki erupted 14km3 (mine is still superior!). My username is about 116 times more powerful!!!

Reactions: attic

·
Registered
INFP 4w5, 5w6, 1w9 Sx/Sp
374 Posts
It feels so weird being back here. So many people have gone. And there's only a few who I've kept in touch with over the years. The forum doesn't even look the same anymore either. It's a different place. I hope everyone is well though.
Hey, I hope you've been doing well, too, Blue! It's Cups. :D

Same here, it's surreal. I decided to peek back in because I was looking back at some of the tortured notepad rants for PerC sitting on my computer, thinking that the soul's still there, but the DNA is completely rearranged now. It has some vaporwave-like feeling; you're nostalgic for it, and yet, you can't exist in it any other way than the way you can now. But I'm personally glad for that. I wouldn't ever want to go back in time and think Type 4 is some reason for me to continue to glamorize, and not fix whatsoever, my covert narcissism. That ain't PerC's fault, though. It's always been that good place, crazy times, and helped to get me started on the long journey of figuring out what the fuck was wrong with me! I can only imagine how much you and everyone else has changed, too!

·
Registered
11,264 Posts

Lots of earthquake activity at Katla!!!

Apparently it's cheering it got it's own tv-series this summer!

One year after the violent eruption of the subglacial volcano Katla, the peace and tranquility in the small town of Vik is dramatically disturbed.

She is long overdue... And the longer she waits, the more violent the next one will be. This is a volcano capable of VEI5-VEI6 eruptions! All eruptions are explosive because of the glacier on top of it, and massive quantities of water & ice!

DURING MODERN TIMES (since jesus was alive), Katla has never been quiet for such a long time. She also tends to shortly after her little sister erupts (Eyjafjallajokull in 2010) erupts... It's been 11 years ago.

But Katla's last eruption was in 1918!!!

She's been restless for so many years, and yet she doesn't want to erupt??? WHY...

Katla (Icelandic pronunciation: [ˈkʰahtla] (About this soundlisten)) is a large volcano in southern Iceland. It is very active; twenty eruptions have been documented between 930 and 1918, at intervals of 20–90 years. It has not erupted violently for 103 years, although there may have been small eruptions that did not break the ice cover, including ones in 1955,[1] 1999,[2] and 2011.[3]

Prior eruptions have had a Volcanic Explosivity Index (VEI) of between 4 and 6 on a scale of 0 to 8. In comparison, the Eyjafjallajökull 2010 eruption had a VEI of 4. Bigger VEI-5 eruptions are comparable to Mount St. Helens 1980 eruption, while significantly rarer VEI-6 eruptions would be comparable to Krakatoa's 1883 eruption and Mount Pinatubo's 1991 eruption.

Katla is one of the largest volcanic sources of carbon dioxide (CO2) on Earth, accounting for up to 4% of total global volcanic carbon dioxide emissions.

She is quiet for 103 years... It has never happened before that she stays quiet for so long!!!

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
It is thought that Katla is the source of Vedde Ash,[9] more than 6 to 7 cubic kilometers (1.4 to 1.7 cu mi) of tephra dated to 10,600 years BP[1][10][11][12] found at a number of sites including Vedde in Norway, Denmark, Scotland, and North Atlantic cores.

Katla is one of the largest volcanoes in Iceland.[5] It is situated to the north of Vík í Mýrdal and to the east of the smaller glacier Eyjafjallajökull. Its peak reaches 1,512 metres (4,961 ft) and is partially covered by the Mýrdalsjökull glacier. The system has an area of 595 km2 (230 sq mi). The Eldgjá canyon is part of the same volcanic system.[6][7]

The caldera of the Katla volcano has a diameter of 10 km (6.2 mi) and is covered with 200–700 metres (660–2,300 ft) of ice. The volcano normally erupts every 40–80 years.[5] The flood discharge at the peak of an eruption in 1755 has been estimated at 200,000–400,000 m3/s (7.1–14.1 million cu ft/sec), comparable to the combined average discharge of the Amazon, Mississippi, Nile, and Yangtze rivers (about 266,000 m3/s (9.4 million cu ft/sec)).

Katla has been showing signs of unrest since 1999, and geologists have concerns that it might erupt in the near future.[16] Particularly, monitoring has been intensified following the March 2010 eruptions of a smaller neighbouring volcano, the Eyjafjallajökull glacier.[17] The eruption of this nearby long-dormant volcano in March and April 2010 prompted fears among some geophysicists that it might trigger an eruption at the larger and more dangerous Katla.[18][19][20] In the past 1,000 years, all three known eruptions of Eyjafjallajökull have triggered subsequent Katla eruptions.[19]

Following the 2010 Eyjafjallajökull eruptions, on 20 April 2010 Icelandic President Ólafur Grímsson said "the time for Katla to erupt is coming close ... we [Iceland] have prepared ... it is high time for European governments and airline authorities all over Europe and the world to start planning for the eventual Katla eruption".[21]

Increased earthquake activity has been noticed on Katla since the eruption at Eyjafjallajökull, but no other signs of an imminent eruption have been observed. These quakes are located mainly on the northwestern rim of the caldera. On 9 October 2010, a sudden rise in harmonic tremor was observed in the stations around Katla, a sign of a possible impending eruption.[22]

As of 2010, volcanologists are continuing to monitor Katla, aware that any eruption from Katla following an eruption from Eyjafjallajökull has historically occurred within months of the latter. The Icelandic Meteorological Office updates its website with reports of quakes both at Eyjafjallajökull and Katla.

Sixteen eruptions have been recorded for Katla since 930. The last major eruption started on 12 October 1918 and lasted for 24 days.[13] It was likely a VEI-5 level eruption. The 1918 eruption resulted in extending the southern coast by 5 km due to laharic flood deposits. Its present dormancy is among the longest in known history.[14]

Major eruptions occurred in:

• 1918 – VEI-4
  • 1860 – VEI-4
  • 1823 – VEI-3
  • 1755 – VEI-5
  • 1721 – VEI-5
  • 1660 – VEI-4
  • 1625 – VEI-5
  • 1612 – VEI-4
  • 1580 – VEI-4
  • 934 – VEI-5 or VEI-6, 5 cubic km of tephra and 18 cubic km of lava

Most of these eruptions resulted in glacial floods. The severe fissure eruption in 934 was one of the largest lava eruptions in the past 10,000 years.[15] Before the Hringvegur (Iceland's Ring Road) was constructed in 1974, people feared traversing the plains in front of the volcano because of the frequent jökulhlaup (or glacier bursts) and the deep river crossings. Especially dangerous was the glacier outburst that followed the eruption of 1918.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
I'm not really a fan of using the term passive aggressive. But I suppose if it applies to me it means making sarcastic, snarky comments as opposed to full on aggressive meaning thumping somebody on the head.

Yeah, I get in less trouble with passive aggressive, and I assume it is preferred by those who frustrate me.

·
Registered
11,264 Posts
Am i just paranoid that i am insane to believe that i'm so paranoid that i think other people will understand my reverse psychology and I understand that so well that i have to use reverse psychology on reverse psychology, which would basically cancel the first time i use reverse psychology again (lol).

I'm confused!

Reactions: GusWriter
68821 - 68840 of 68850 Posts