Personality Cafe banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would you say ENTJ are streetmart or rather booksmart?

In my view, dominant Te is an indication of streetsmart, whereas dominant Ni makes one slightly more booksmart.

·
Banned
557 Posts
Seeing as how successful ENTJs were and still are in careers where streetsmarts are the key to success and the infamous war general Cao Cao was an ENTJ, I'd say we're streetsmart.

Seriously let's look at these famous ENTJs:

FDR
Richard Nixon
Saddam Hussein
Napoleon Bonaparte
Oskar Schindler (At least that's what an internet site said...)

These people are consistently in people matters. However, we apparently have great book smarts as well; look at Steve Jobs for example.

·
Banned
3,417 Posts
I'm a D student :D. Ocassionally an A if I study, B if I do my homework or C if I pay attention in class. I know what it takes to get predictable results so I'm not wasting precious time to stay on top of my grades if there's no important tests. However, I still wouldn't consider myself book smart due to my horrible memory and lack of interest in general education.

As far as being street smart; I'm always comfortable with things I'm not familiar with because I have some urban brains yo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'd say I'm just intuitive. I can get a general feel for things, read between the lines, and figure out what the point of a course or lecture is. I suppose you could call that more street smart.

If you replace clever with booksmart - then DEFINITELY clever.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
I vote street smart. If anything, I'd say I'm booksmart enough to compliment my streetsmarts.

Reactions: McFly

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm more streetsmart, but it really goes hand-in-hand with booksmart. For example, I could read a chapter and be tested on it and score at least a B with no studying. Others study for hours and get lower than me. It's not that I'm smarter (which I am :tongue:), it's more that I know how to take a test, I know what the test maker was probably thinking, and I just generally get things more than others do.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
As ENTJ's, I think we have a little bit of both. I think our Se keeps us practical, giving us incentive to be street smart/use common sense. Our auxiliary Ni does allow us to be book smart if we so choose. We're the gifted pragmatist of the NT community(I'm probably going to get a few thanks for stroking our ego).

·
Registered
675 Posts
Booksmart.

Common sense deserves our suspicion. Yes, it can serve as a cross-check against which we can test our knowledge, like a veto over garbage ideas. Its use is only negative, for appeals to common sense are useless for generating knowledge. Positively, an appeal to common sense resembles a covert appeal to authority, hiding the question of whether the implicit authority, whether it be "everyone" or an expert, is correct or not.

For example, common sense may suggest the economy is like a pie that can be distributed. Yet land doesn't land itself, labor doesn't labor itself, capital doesn't capital itself-- an active entrepreneurial element is needed to add organization, research, planning, scheduling, coordination, etc. Wealth is something produced, created by bringing existing factors together in new ways. Wealth is not something that pops into existence by being distributed, by clubbing people over the head and taking their stuff. It takes an act of imagination to see that this procedure cannot be repeated indefinitely. When I think streetsmart, I think of mental giants like Alan Grayson, Ed Schultz, Cenk Uygur, who have a range-of-the-moment view-- they see only what immediately exists and hence think the great issues of our time can be resolved with fists.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Booksmart.

Common sense deserves our suspicion. Yes, it can serve as a cross-check against which we can test our knowledge, like a veto over garbage ideas. However, appeals to common sense are useless for generating knowledge. More often than not, such appeals are covert appeals to authority, hiding the question of whether the authority in question is correct or not.
I agree with this to a certain extent. Its a two way street for me. I use my knowledge to cross check my common sense, but I also use my common sense to determine what knowledge is worthwhile. Traditional schooling bothered me because a large majority of it was worthless regurgitation of facts. The stuff I found value in, I never forget and add it to my intuition arsenal.

Like the other poster said about reading a chapter and scoring a passing grade on the subject... its because I can understand the concept and identify the useful/important facts. I tend to browse over the rest. In school, I tended to not score as high in courses that were based on lecture, note taking, memorization and regurgitation. I excelled in the classes that were more applied lessons - problem solving skills, team projects, etc. Its called problem based learning. Worth taking a look at. I rarely forgot ANYTHING from those classes.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Mi Gi with My ze
and you know where thats gets thee

yes
A scone

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd say I'm just intuitive. I can get a general feel for things, read between the lines, and figure out what the point of a course or lecture is. I suppose you could call that more street smart.

If you replace clever with booksmart - then DEFINITELY clever.
Are you sure about that chief? You just said 'replace clever with booksmart', I think you've got it backwards :tongue:

·
Registered
601 Posts
I vote street smart. If anything, I'd say I'm booksmart enough to compliment my streetsmarts.
Exactly. My boss is an ENTJ. He uses both "smarts" to his advantage when he needs to. In strategic meetings with senior leadership, he is calm and eloquent. In meetings with our team, he's funny, down to earth. When travelling with him recently, my coworker and I discovered that he is constantly scanning his environment for every opportunity to score free crap or some advantage or another.

I refer to him as "scary" smart.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.