Personality Cafe banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I was wondering how different enneagram types would describe strenght and if there even is a big difference between the explanations, for me everything is in this quote "There is little that can withstand a man who can conquere himself".

edit: also that mistype really bugs me

·
Banned
5,877 Posts
4w5 sx/sp

To me strength is mostly emotional strength, being able to conquer any odds and have plenty of self control over my moods and feelings. Knowing that no matter how stormy, angry, broken or self loathing I might feel on the inside, I still have the opportunity to explore all of that negativity and put together all the pieces until I'm in perfect harmony with who I am and perhaps being able to express it.

Vulnerability to me is letting my emotions pour out freely, to cut myself open and wear my heart on the sleeve as most people cannot understand what I'm trying to convey and the depth and intensity of my feelings dies out. Being able to see the strength in me and let someone in completely, to be straightforward about all of my most private emotions and knowing that I've made the right choice is another manifestation of strength. To be able to brush my own inferiority complex aside and welcome a person in completely.

Resilience is my favorite kind.

Sticking with my own self through thick and thin, knowing all of my flaws and blindspots and yet keeping on walking because no matter what, everything I've done and felt contributed to shape my identity and the person I am. There's always room for improvement but strength is being able to admit my own mistakes and own up to them. To find the worth in me even though I always feel lacking and completely misunderstood as I cannot expose the universe inside of me and most of the time, I don't feel like it.

When I do, it's truly powerful.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Strength, in my opinion, is being able to do what you determine to be in your best interests when it conflicts with your immediate desires.

For instance, if you have set up an exercise plan but don't feel like doing your workout one day (due to laziness) but you do it anyway, that is strength. Also, in a social situation when you feel you need to do or say something but it is difficult, following through is strength while caving to your initial apprehension is weakness.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I recently wrote something about this in my personal journal. I will share here for the sake of discussion. Gaze ye into the depths of my cynical, cynical dark heart.

Strength is something inside. A durability against the abuses in life. Life will do ugly things to you--things that can sweep you off your feet and drag you into an undertow you can't get out of.

In such a state, it's easy to give up, fall into despair, to hand your life over to someone else, to commit suicide, or simply cease facing reality. I know, because I've seen the worst, and have been tempted to do all these things.

But, strength refuses those things. To me, it's stronger to endure with the will to see another day, staring unflinchingly into the ugly face of reality. Holding no illusions, just embracing the truth for what it is, no matter how terrible life reveals it to be. Embracing truths too bitter for the rest of humanity, a smile on your face because the highest thing is the truth, and you can experience it in its unadulterated form. Alone.

Most would rather tell comforting lies and believe in myths, but when you're strong, you have no need of it. You're alone; you'll be alone forever; love is a noble philosophical concept at best; humanity is dark, dirty, and evil, and you're no exception; you're not chosen by fate or morally superior in any way; there is no God, and you will die a futile death to be quickly forgotten by the tides of time.

When you can face this reality, yet find meaning in life, carry on your daily business with resolve, and remember to laugh all the way, you have found your inner strength.
There. I said it.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for your answers, 11/10 every one of them, made me see some new sides to the concept of strenght so thanks again

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thank you for your answers, 11/10 every one of them, made me see some new sides to the concept of strenght so thanks again
Strength for me is more internal rather than physical. The strength not to react according to the conditioning of our genetic dispositions and environmental factors. It is the ability to forgive others and yourself when you could alternatively allowed the history of suffering to repeat itself.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Are my words, emotions, thoughts, and actions in congruence and alignment with a greater goal? Do the consequences of my actions detract from the attainment of that goal?

When I challenge other people's beliefs and world views, am I able to take it when it's reflected back at me? When I complain of other people's hypocrisy, what am I doing to address those problems within myself? In fact, I wish people do challenge and bring to my attention what they perceive to be flaws, because without other people trying to test my beliefs/thoughts/actions, I would not be given a chance to improve on myself and remain weak.

When other people have wronged me, can I find it in my heart to forgive them and move on as if nothing has happened? Am I able to wipe the slate clean and be willing to be hurt in the event that my trust was misplaced, and how quickly and gracefully can I recover from it? How quickly can I see other, perhaps more peaceful and constructive, options that aren't reactive, anger-driven vengeance?

Am I able to adjust my beliefs and world views when faced with evidence that are contrary to it? Am I willing to admit when I'm wrong or have done something wrong?

Am I willing to defend what I believe is right, even if it costs me my life?

The Spiritual Enneagram: Type Eight - Sacred Resistance
Jacob is everyone who conquers; by the power of Love, he conquered God, in order to be conquered himself . . . Whoever wishes to wrestle with God must set himself to conquer in order to be conquered . . . They are conquered so that they may conquer that unconquerable greatness . . . Conquer me, so that I may conquer you in your unconquered Power . . . He who conquers Love is vanquished himself.
A test of our sincerity in the practice of nonviolence is this: are we willing to learn something from the adversary? If a new truth is made known to us by him or through him, will we accept it? Are we willing to admit that he is not totally inhumane, wrong, unreasonable, cruel, etc.? This is important . . . Our readiness to see some good in him and to agree with some of his ideas . . . actually gives us power: the power of sincerity and of truth. On the other hand, if we are obviously unwilling to accept any truth that we have not first discovered and declared ourselves, we show by that very fact that we are interested not in the truth so much as in “being right” . . . Nonviolence has great power, provided that it really witnesses to truth and not just to self-righteousness.

The dread of being open to the ideas of others generally comes from our hidden insecurity about our own convictions . . . On the other hand, if we are mature and objective in our open-mindedness, we may find that in viewing things from a basically different perspective – that of our adversary – we discover our own truth in a new light and are able to understand our own ideal more realistically.

·
Registered
617 Posts
I equate inner strength with concepts like integrity, honour and loyalty. You do what you say and say what you mean, even when it hurts.

·
Registered
919 Posts
STAR. Read Susan Rhode's articles on "The Hero's Journey through Life: Tarot, Transformation, & the Enneagram" in Enneagram Monthly 214-215 to learn more!

Bonus: "Aleister Crowley - whose was not exactly known for his sweet and gentle disposition - has another name for this Key: Lust. (I guess he was a skeptic about the idea that love trumps instinct.) From an enneagrammatic perspective, his choice of label is pretty interesting, since lust is the very sin assigned to Point 8 on the enneagram. Certainly, the issue at this Key is about lust and other primal drives - and how they should best be directed. And that is the same issue associated with Point 8 on the enneagram, for Eights are typically fiery, charismatic individuals with abundant instinctual energy that they can find difficult to contain."

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
This is a lovely thread. It never really hit me before that people defined "strength" differently than I did. I'm still coming to terms with it, honestly.

Strength is almost indescribable to me, because it's so obvious. Strength is agape love, loving someone so much that you love them above yourself. Strength is finding a way to see good in the world even after you've seen so much bad. Strength is finding good in a person even though all you've gotten from them is bad. Strength is enduring in hard circumstance. Strength is sacrificing oneself on any level (so long as it's not superficial) - a girl giving her little brother the last of her cookie, a daughter donating a body part to save her mother, a man living in borderline impoverished conditions because he gave so much of his own resources to others. Strength is loving even after you've just been confronted by massive hatred. Strength is a smile. Strength is a laugh. Strength is endurance. Strength is this girl my mom once coached who had asthma but still was determined to represent her school by running the mile at the elementary track meet (even knowing that it was physically impossible for her to make it to the end). Strength is everything we do, really, kind of.

it's just funny, because I can't even define strength. I just... feel its definition, I guess. The core of what it kind of is. Or something. And it's weird because I thought the definition of "strength" would be the same for everyone as it was for me, but how could I even have expected that when I couldn't even explain what "strength" is?

I guess to me strength essentially is a combination of pure love and endurance.

I'm a type 2w1 SO.

·
Grumpy old bastard
10,085 Posts
Strength is the power to make the world right and fair without anyone even noticing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts