Personality Cafe banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I imagine based on the theory;

that even though we have four functions,

and four shadow functions (that are all but useless unless considerable effort is expended),

the strength of the top two functions (Primary and Auxiliary) are in a league of their own.

Obvious example:

MBTI type: INFP
Cognitive Function Order:
1) Primary: Fi
2) Auxiliary: Ne
3) Tertiary: Si
4) Inferior: Te

That Fi and Ne are considerably more stronger than Si and Te enough to almost pair them in a league of their own within the league of the top 4, but still Fi undoubtedly remains stronger than Ne

What are your thoughts and perhaps even better, your experiences ?

·
Registered
5,271 Posts
The dominant is always the strongest no matter what you do. It is the function you used most even unconsciously. And the pair of dominant and auxiliary functions are the ones you will be using for the rest of your life. Problems occur if the auxiliary function is weak and the tertiary function takes over.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
From a personal experience as an INFP this is how it works (and I'll use today's incident):

3 people came to our house today asking for scrap metal junk, they were loud and intrusive, went into the garage and picked stuff apart without permission. My Ne observed this and I came up with multiple possible scenarios, which were all judged negatively by my Fi. Also they upset a range of values I had, which started stressing me out and making me angry.

Since Fi and Ne decided they were trouble and they stressed me out, I started using the inferior tertiary pair, which is Te-Si (ESTJ). Shit really got out of hand when they gave my mother some money fro some scrap metal and started walking away with it. At that point my Si had no reference as to how much the metal actually costs and Te came to the generalized conclusion that since I have no reference point, they may be ripping us off. they weren't listening to anything we said, were intrusive and fast.

At this point I want full blown ESTJ, started yelling to put the stuff down, confronted they guy who seemed in charge and told him to get the fuck out before I really get pissed.

That scared them, so they stopped, it was their luck that my mom intervened and calmed me down, which gave them courage again <.< and they left with the scrap metal before I could stop them again.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The dominant is always the strongest no matter what you do. It is the function you used most even unconsciously.
Yeah absolutely I agree with this, I just wander about the extent, for example if you can graph them by what margin would they differ compared to themselves and even the tertiary and inferior. I get that this will vary amongst individuals but as a general rule of thumb.

And the pair of dominant and auxiliary functions are the ones you will be using for the rest of your life. Problems occur if the auxiliary function is weak and the tertiary function takes over.
Pretty insightful observation

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
Dominant is always in charge, that is the bottom line. Whether or not it is the most developed in terms of maturity I wouldn't dare to claim, but may very well be the case as well, as usage should cause maturing.

The aux / tert setup isn't one of strength. Arguably you could say we have two aux functions, meaning aux and tert and freely interchangeable with one another - chances are you'll find attending to either stimulating.

This only leaves your inferior for what it is. Your last resort.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From a personal experience as an INFP this is how it works (and I'll use today's incident):

An example is always good to support a notion, and that was pretty detailed and insightful.

Shoulda clocked those fuckers one xD

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do
The aux / tert setup isn't one of strength. Arguably you could say we have two aux functions, meaning aux and tert and freely interchangeable with one another - chances are you'll find attending to either stimulating.
So you feel in terms of strength there isn't a difference between aux/ter?

·
Registered
5,225 Posts
So you feel in terms of strength there isn't a difference between aux/ter?
'Strength' is a wrong interpretation of the line-up. It's not a hierarchy in the sense that dominant enslaves aux enslaves tert enslaves inferior. All that is given is that the dominant function can absolutely not be overthrown. Basically all functions exist to serve our dominant function. Aux and tert function can fulfill that role equally fine, dependent on what is needed. It is only the inferior people suck at and steer free from.

This is rather interesting to check out;

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/93074-misconceptions-tertiary-function.html

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
'Strength' is a wrong interpretation of the line-up. It's not a hierarchy in the sense that dominant enslaves aux enslaves tert enslaves inferior. All that is given is that the dominant function can absolutely not be overthrown. Basically all functions exist to serve our dominant function. Aux and tert function can fulfill that role equally fine, dependent on what is needed. It is only the inferior people suck at and steer free from.

This is rather interesting to check out;

http://personalitycafe.com/cognitive-functions/93074-misconceptions-tertiary-function.html
Thanks I will check it out,

by strength I don't mean 'enslave' I mean 'ease of use'

I think a dominant function is more natural and easier to use than inferior functions, so stronger in that regard, not in the sense it enslaves it

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
An example is always good to support a notion, and that was pretty detailed and insightful.

Shoulda clocked those fuckers one xD
..they came back....I don't know where it came from or if I had it in me...but I yelled louder them a wild lion :\ told them to fuck off...I was direct, confrontational, unyielding.........I stared them down and they ran with their tails between their legs.

The trigger was my dad telling them to just go already and stop taking things apart for the n-th time.

....I have no idea where all that came from or even if I had it in me. Was so unlike me.....what the fuck

(I also kinda liked it :O)...now am regretting it a bit <,.< that uneasy feeling.

I hate smart mouthed people who think they can talk anyone into anything.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
Dominant is always in charge, that is the bottom line. Whether or not it is the most developed in terms of maturity I wouldn't dare to claim, but may very well be the case as well, as usage should cause maturing.

This only leaves your inferior for what it is. Your last resort.
Hmm I'd say that my dom and inferior can switch really fast. I can and do come across as one really stubborn systematic. logical and willful ESTJ at times. In recent years I have been using more an more logic, relying on Te-Si and even Ti more and more.

It has come to a point where if I'd lose my memory of my past...I'd say I'm not INFP at all. It is only with taking into the past as reference to how I usually prefer (or in this case preferred) things that I can test as INFP.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Hmm I'd say that my dom and inferior can switch really fast. I can and do come across as one really stubborn systematic. logical and willful ESTJ at times. In recent years I have been using more an more logic, relying on Te-Si and even Ti more and more.

It has come to a point where if I'd lose my memory of my past...I'd say I'm not INFP at all. It is only with taking into the past as reference to how I usually prefer (or in this case preferred) things that I can test as INFP.
If you are switching quickly between your dom and inferior you probably have some sort of psychological problem. Because that would be a total Jekyll & Hyde thing going. I mean literally you'd be acting like a completely different person, because the Inferior represents the opposite process of the dominant. I mean people can go years without really falling into the grip of their Inferior function (and most people would go a whole lifetime if they could).

Jumping into the inferior function would be like trying to tell the rich man who has spent his whole life accumulating wealth to give it all up and go be a homeless bum. It's the exact opposite of everything he's worked for and the thing he would probably protest the most (though just like he might learn something about life from being a bum not having everything he wants, the inferior can teach us too, but it is a humbling and often humiliating process).

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
If you are switching quickly between your dom and inferior you probably have some sort of psychological problem. Because that would be a total Jekyll & Hyde thing going. I mean literally you'd be acting like a completely different person, because the Inferior represents the opposite process of the dominant. I mean people can go years without really falling into the grip of their Inferior function (and most people would go a whole lifetime if they could).

Jumping into the inferior function would be like trying to tell the rich man who has spent his whole life accumulating wealth to give it all up and go be a homeless bum. It's the exact opposite of everything he's worked for and the thing he would probably protest the most (though just like he might learn something about life from being a bum not having everything he wants, the inferior can teach us too, but it is a humbling and often humiliating process).
Jekyll & Hyde is kind of what I'm experiencing. Think I'm stressed lately.

·
MOTM August 2012
3,467 Posts
Jekyll & Hyde is kind of what I'm experiencing. Think I'm stressed lately.
I know its tough but I'd try to identify the root cause of the stress. Stress is the psychological equivalent of physical pain. Our bodies send out pain to tell us something is wrong. Stress is the psyche doing the same thing, so just like we'd want to figure out what was causing the throbbing tooth, we'd want to really figure out why you're having these bad Te-episodes. Sometimes its just growth and learning to let go of egocentric (Fi in your case) ways which is never easy after you've spent a whole life doing it. Sometimes the environment forces us into mindsets that we are ill-equipped for (imagine a Ne-dom having to do quiet, detailed, monotonous work) and so on.

·
Banned
13,780 Posts
I know its tough but I'd try to identify the root cause of the stress. Stress is the psychological equivalent of physical pain. Our bodies send out pain to tell us something is wrong. Stress is the psyche doing the same thing, so just like we'd want to figure out what was causing the throbbing tooth, we'd want to really figure out why you're having these bad Te-episodes. Sometimes its just growth and learning to let go of egocentric (Fi in your case) ways which is never easy after you've spent a whole life doing it. Sometimes the environment forces us into mindsets that we are ill-equipped for (imagine a Ne-dom having to do quiet, detailed, monotonous work) and so on.
What the fuck are you talking about? o_O is that an answer or just mental masturbation from your part? My gut says its the latter..yeash.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts