Personality Cafe banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't have fear of social situations, like feeling like I don't know what to say. I'm pretty confident in dealing with people, but they exhaust me sometimes. I have to deal with lots of people, too, but luckily my work is online. Having that buffer makes a HUGE difference.

Iit would tire me out to have to talk, face to face, with random people who simply present themselves before me, with whatever various personalities they are and moods they are experiencing. That would be exhausting to me.

·
Registered
629 Posts
UGH. Yes. YES.
I worked in retail and quick-serve food for a couple of years, and it was just one of the worst jobs for me.
I was, ironically, going to post something recently about this problem of social awkwardness in stressful situations, but never got around to it.

Honestly, I chalk most of my problems with small-talk and general socialization up to being an HSP...I really only get so shy and withdrawn when I am highly stimulated.
But I think a lot of it also comes from being an introvert (with strong preferences, at that), as well as from my Ni... small talk isn't easy for me. It takes a lot for me to just talk and talk about events or material things- I literally have to search my brain for the next topic. But get me talking about a theory, an idea, or an observation of any given person, and I won't stop talking for hours.

So, of course, put me in a situation with two extraverts with strong Sensing preferences, who are critical of and who disapprove of me, causing me intense anxiety and stress, and you've got one anti-social deer-in-the-headlights.
This is a real situation, by the way, and I'm grappling with the idea of how to carry on a normal conversation with the two of them, when I lack the capability to simply ask a question like, "how have you been?"
:|

So to close that rant, yes. It's horrible, and I'm sorry you deal with clamming up under stress too.
I empathize with you immensely.

·
Registered
135 Posts
So, of course, put me in a situation with two extraverts with strong Sensing preferences, who are critical of and who disapprove of me, causing me intense anxiety and stress, and you've got one anti-social deer-in-the-headlights.
This is a real situation, by the way, and I'm grappling with the idea of how to carry on a normal conversation with the two of them, when I lack the capability to simply ask a question like, "how have you been?"
:|
Do you HAVE to talk? I sit with a few people at work who are far more talkative than I am, but I'm comfortable just sitting there, being ignored. They literally talk THROUGH me, as I'm seated in between them. They aren't critical of me, but rather fond of me, so I think that makes it easier, but still.. could you just be comfortable, even if you say nothing at all? (I'm HSP, too, btw.)

·
Registered
629 Posts
Do you HAVE to talk? I sit with a few people at work who are far more talkative than I am, but I'm comfortable just sitting there, being ignored. They literally talk THROUGH me, as I'm seated in between them. They aren't critical of me, but rather fond of me, so I think that makes it easier, but still.. could you just be comfortable, even if you say nothing at all? (I'm HSP, too, btw.)
Unfortunately, due to the circumstances, it's now expected that I do talk. I don't know why they expect that, other than that she (the ESFJ) thinks that I am rude not to "chit chat." It's caused a reasonable amount of conflict between us over the years, leading to the situation which we are in now (something approaching reconciliation, or at least compromise). It's so frustrating for me, because I am perfectly happy doing what you're saying- just sitting, listening, and letting the others talk! I would so much rather listen! But especially in this situation, when I do talk, they look at me like I'm an alien, or misunderstand me. I feel like every word I speak needs to be thoroughly thought through, and considering that it takes me a while to think things through, I usually don't speak unless spoken to, in this situation.
I think the biggest issue in the situation is that they simply don't understand me. She thinks I'm declining to talk because I don't like her, or because I'm being "rude." In reality, if she would just let me speak freely and not judge me or try to control or manipulate me when I do voice my opinions, I would be so much more likely to speak up. :/

·
Banned
273 Posts
I deal with customers, transactions and such,not regularly , but not in a type of business where there's high-volume traffic either. The repetitive and constant interaction would get to me if it was one after another after another non-stop for 8 hours, now that would be taxing.

I have 2 people under me that I can and have said at times ..."hey , ring them up", just to go and do something else. Sometimes an hour passes on a slow day without a sale being made, and that's fine with me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.