Personality Cafe banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As INFJs we are supposed to be highly intuitive, but have any of you struggled with trusting your intuition?

In my past I have had a pattern of ignoring it. I'd know something to be right or wrong (in my depths) but my desire to always focus on the good in people or my tendency to look for logical, concrete evidence to back up my feelings would often lead me to shrugging it off and going forward when I shouldn't. I'm now left with years of scars from trusting the hearts and actions of others that I shouldn't have.
I have also noticed, however, that when I do let intuition be my guide I still seem to come up short, or find that I've just completely assessed the situation wrong, or maybe I assessed the situation correctly, but I failed in taking the proper action.
It has me to a place where I am now frustrated and confused. I often feel like I don't know what to think, or believe anymore, or feel anymore.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
As INFJs we are supposed to be highly intuitive, but have any of you struggled with trusting your intuition?
Me, I long ago surrendered to my intuition. If my senses tell me the contrary of what my intuition has said, I'll place the matter in abeyance until I can figure out a way to resolve the difference.

In my past I have had a pattern of ignoring it.
Advice: Always trust your instincts. Always trust your intuition. They know what they're doing.

I'd know something to be right or wrong (in my depths) but my desire to always focus on the good in people or my tendency to look for logical, concrete evidence to back up my feelings would often lead me to shrugging it off and going forward when I shouldn't. I'm now left with years of scars from trusting the hearts and actions of others that I shouldn't have.
Advice: Always distrust your mind. Always distrust your heart. They're well-intentioned but easily misled. They are advisors, not leaders. Listen to their counsel, then turn the matter over to your intuition and instincts.

I have also noticed, however, that when I do let intuition be my guide I still seem to come up short, or find that I've just completely assessed the situation wrong, or maybe I assessed the situation correctly, but I failed in taking the proper action.
It sounds as if your intuition is not fully developed, and/or something is interfering with or corrupting your intuitive process, and/or there's a system misfire in turning the promptings of intuition into action. This would suggest that your sometime tendency to set intuition aside has made it and its coordination with its peripherals "rusty." Trusting your intuition more, and being more deliberate in carrying out its fiats--checking each stage of the action to ascertain consistency before proceeding--would possibly yield constructively useful insights.

It has me to a place where I am now frustrated and confused. I often feel like I don't know what to think, or believe anymore, or feel anymore.
That is the natural state of an INFJ.

Be patient.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I had the same growing up but I would say that with age, or experience you get to know specifically what the intuition is saying. Then up to you whether to trust it or not. It should also say if you are missing information.

So... it can be 'safe' to use intuition.

·
Registered
539 Posts
We live in a society (I am assuming most of us live in a western society) that does not value intuition. In fact, I often think many folks discredit it as fake because it is the ability to immediately understand something without being able to explain how you understand that something.

So, many intuitive-folk are taught to discredit their instincts - those strange gut instincts that cannot be explained. Basically, it results in lots of intuitive-folks suppressing one of their greatest strengths. Thus, yes I and many other intuitive-folks (not just INFJs) have struggled with trusting our intuitions because we are taught not to trust them.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts