Personality Cafe banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
MOTM June 2012
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright I've tried to lose weight (fat) for many years without much success. This has included eating better, working out, even checking my thyroid levels but nothing really seemed to work.

I've heard that body recomposition is pretty hit or miss, and that you should either bulk up or slim down.

I decided to slim down, but I've noticed alot of my muscle is gone, and not any of my stomach fat. I know that's the last place you lose it, but I'm wondering what the best way to lose it is.

I eat mainly protein. Eggs, turkey bacon, and spinach for breakfast, chicken or beef and spinach or salad for dinner. Beef jerky, deli meat, or celery or broccoli for a snack. Some cheese here and there, too. I drink lots of water. I used to drink alot of gatorade too, but I've cut back on it. On Sundays I eat carbs and bad food like icecream, chips, pizza, popcorn, pop, milkshakes, whatever. The rest of the week I eat healthy.

I've been eating about 2 meals a day, sometimes 3 meals, sometimes just one.

I stopped working out the past couple of weeks, due to soreness from work but I want to get back into it. I'm just not sure where to start with it. I can't lift weights due to a physical disability. I've done all sorts of body weight training from Insanity, to pushup variations, to just jogging.

Before I stopped, I was working out for about 20 minutes to a half hour 6 days a week. 100 jumping jacks, 100 squats, 100 situps, 100 dips, 100 pushups, with some stretches and extra pushups thrown in.

I'm probably gonna get back into pushups again because I love pushups and I don't want to lose any more muscle. I'm not sure if I should focus on things like pushups, dips, situps, that sort of thing, or more cardio though.

The goal is the lose the stomach fat without losing muscle. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
Make sure that you eat regularly. If your body doesn't know when to expect food, it goes in power-saving modus. Try to do full body exercise as well as training specific muscle groups. Avoid artificial sweeteners, as they make you more hungry later on. Eat small portions often. Drink plenty of water. Make sure that you get everything your body needs. Indulge in foods that you like, but try to only take moderate portions. If you lose fat, your remaining fat is going to scream for you to eat more fat. Don't listen to that.

I don't know if this is any help, but hey.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
honestly you sound much more well informed than most which is a good start. you already know you cant take fat from one place rather than another, and that it's genetic where it comes from fast when you burn it.

It' is a difficult pill to swallow so i'll just come out with it: Stop eating so much.

If you want to lose the fat you have to be in calorie deficit for a long period consistently. you need to just swallow the pill and commit to it. It's not easy, ESPECIALLY AT FIRST. I just got off of a 3 month cut where i lost over 20lbs. the first two weeks were hard as my body was rapidly finding a new homeostasis. After that, it was pretty easy, and that isn't coming from a skinny guy who ignores his appetite. before that, i was consuming 4000-5000 calories a day(yes i tracked) as part of my strength training strongman program.

You'll do it really easily if you just start weighing everything thing you put in your mouth. If you don't know how many calories are in it, don't eat it. find something else which you can measure. Be it on the wrapper, or by weighing the amount you are eating and checking it against its packaging. If you can't do that, the "my fitness pal" app will be able to help too.

The second most important factor is how much you need to eat of course. you need to find out how many calories you are burning a day so you can eat 500 less and being losing fat at a rate of 1lb per week, which is generally the rate achieved o na 500 calorie deficit.

Calorie Calculator - Scooby's Home Workouts

That site is a good start to find out how much you need to eat. figuring out exactly how much is hard because you don't know how much you burn doing daily activities like work etc. If you are sitting most of the day it is much easier to figure out.
That calculator is your starting point. If you stall, you know you need to start eating 100 less till you lose again.

Another note on stalls. In the first month expect little to no results, or crazy weight loss. This is all due to water weight. do not be discouraged when you suddenly slow down in weight loss. perfectly normal.

Contest Prep - Week 4 - Scooby's Home Workouts
another link explaining things like that. It is a great resource.

hope this helps.

Make sure that you eat regularly. If your body doesn't know when to expect food, it goes in power-saving modus. Try to do full body exercise as well as training specific muscle groups. Avoid artificial sweeteners, as they make you more hungry later on. Eat small portions often. Drink plenty of water. Make sure that you get everything your body needs. Indulge in foods that you like, but try to only take moderate portions. If you lose fat, your remaining fat is going to scream for you to eat more fat. Don't listen to that.

This post is all myths and only causes more confusion. Everything posted there was a myth and not true. It's good to see everyone trying to pinch in to help though. It's a big problem with this broad subject. so many myths floating around in the general public that just hinder things or cause more confusion.

·
MOTM June 2012
9,447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@splash Sin Thanks, yeah I'll start tracking all of my meals and drinks on that again. I feel like I don't really eat that much to begin with though, but I'll eat less and just work out more. I actually like being a little hungry, as it keeps me focused and alert. I also know that most of the time I just need to drink water.

and yeah there are alot of contradictory advice with dieting and weightloss. Alot of it is unrealistic too, like eat 6 small meals consisting of mostly organic foods. That's all well and good, but not realistic with work and budget for the average person.
@the_natrix I'll start tracking my fat on that myplate thing, and see what the ratio is. I know that my diet right now is mostly protein, but there are some fats from cheeses and stuff, and not much carbs at all. Would you recommend a diet high in good fat? Is it LDL or the other one?

That's more along the keto diet, and I've thought about that, but I've heard that if you're in ketosis and you knock yourself out of it, you can really fuck it up by gaining back more.

·
Banned
4,143 Posts
This post is all myths and only causes more confusion. Everything posted there was a myth and not true. It's good to see everyone trying to pinch in to help though. It's a big problem with this broad subject. so many myths floating around in the general public that just hinder things or cause more confusion.
Let me elaborate:

Make sure that you eat regularly. Because if you go hungry, you might eat too much at once, as your feeling of being full depends on habit as much as anything.
If your body doesn't know when to expect food, it goes in power-saving modus. Not accurate, that's true. More important is that if you eat large portions less often it is a great way to increase your risk of developing diabetes.
Try to do full body exercise as well as training specific muscle groups. Because full body exercise burns more calories, and training muscle groups buffs your muscles.
Avoid artificial sweeteners, as they make you more hungry later on. Your body prepares for digesting sugar, and when it doesn't come... you suddenly have an appetite for sugary things. Actual study.
Eat small portions often. Repetition of the previous. Don't get diabetes. Make sure you don't go hungry.
Drink plenty of water. Always important. There is just one kind of sensor in your body that measures the amount of water, and it is calibrated wrong. Everything in your body works better if you drink a little more than you feel you need. You will urinate a lot. Based on a study.
Make sure that you get everything your body needs. Duh.
Indulge in foods that you like, but try to only take moderate portions. Because nobody is a saint, and you want to change your habits, not relapse into your old ones after losing weight.
If you lose fat, your remaining fat is going to scream for you to eat more fat. Don't listen to that. Lipase is an actual hormone that regulates your appetite. More of it is made when you lose fat. This makes you want to eat more.

I'm not a dietrician by any means. But the things about diabetes, artificial sweeteners and lipase were all used as examples in the lectures I had about the workings of the human body last year. So I know that they are accepted scientific consensus.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

This, also look at compound exercises. My workout consists of push ups (decline, with proper form, elbows back not splaying out to the side), inverted rows, planks (front and side),split squats, single leg squats,(all those are compound exercises, ie work various muscles groups). With an 8-10 rep range (best for strength) and a 1 minute rest between sets, 3 sets in total. As the key to weight loss is intensity not duration. The problem with sit-ups is that they dont get rid of fat, they build muscle underneath the fat, also I personally have noticed by not doing sit-ups, I have less back problems and I am losing the fat around my gut.

I must add my workout takes about 20 mins including a 5 minute warm up (done 3x a week), not including stretches afterwards. I only spend that long as I am quite active anyhow. Also I would suggest walking, and cycling, as forms of light cardio, also better for your knees than running.

·
Registered
738 Posts
@the_natrix I'll start tracking my fat on that myplate thing, and see what the ratio is. I know that my diet right now is mostly protein, but there are some fats from cheeses and stuff, and not much carbs at all. Would you recommend a diet high in good fat? Is it LDL or the other one?

That's more along the keto diet, and I've thought about that, but I've heard that if you're in ketosis and you knock yourself out of it, you can really fuck it up by gaining back more.
A diet high in good fat would probably be the way to go if you've been lacking fat for a while now. LDL is more of a fat transport thing than a thing you can measure in your diet. There's omega 3 and 6 fatty acids that are important, omega 3 comes from fatty fish and walnuts/flax/chia, omega 6 comes from most plant oils, nuts, and other fatty meats. I'd probably start out with PB and sardines, but not at the same meal, if you wanted to slowly increase intake. Of course I can handle sardines, you might like one of the plant options or a supplement for your omega 3.

You don't have to go full keto really, I mean you'll want those veggies and such for other nutrients, but it would be a way to not be afraid of overdoing the fat. I'm fairly sure the "gaining back more" is simply water weight, the body needs about 4 grams of water per one gram of carb to store it as glycogen, personally I've got around 8-10 lbs of glycogen storage space on me. That's also the reason why you lose weight so fast when starting the keto diet, you're using up glycogen.

·
Registered
326 Posts
High carb, low fat vegan lifestyle. No calorie restriction, no animal cruelty, healthy weight loss that lasts for life.

You can check out this thread where we got into weigh loss and Durianrider's youtube channel, or Freelee's. They explain in various videos why this is the best way to lose weight in a healthy manner.

·
Registered
INFP 648 sx/sp
2,937 Posts
I have no experience within the past year of improving my fitness, but I do of weight loss. Combining the two is an extra hurdle and means you'll have to pay closer attention the content of your food, but weight loss is very simple. Done at a healthy level, weight loss will mostly likely primarily or almost exclusively come from loss of body fat reserves. Appearance isn't the whole story there though, which is its own story. Anyway.

Weight loss, generally, is as simple as being in calorie deficit. It doesn't matter what you eat, it really doesn't (which is kind of sad given how crap diets are); it's how much. It comes down to a simple formula of energy in versus energy out; if out is more than in, you lose weight. You may or may not have hurdles or complications along the way, there are a lot of factors, but ultimately if you use more calories in a day than you consume, you will lose weight. Your daily calorie requirement is likely to be two thousand plus - I don't know your body size and build, but almost all men have a basal requirement of something in that area or higher (me being the weird exception).
What you eat will affect how healthy you are during the weight loss process, how well you will be able to sustain daily activities (the more of a fitness regime you have the more important it is to look at food groups, etc), and how you feel. However, I speak from experience (not only my own) in saying that you can eat utter crap and lose weight provided you don't eat enough of it. It's as simple as eating less.
I'm not trying to argue with any of what's been said so far, but I think it's picking apart the details while missing the biggest factor. To an extent, calories are calories.

You need to count the calories in what you're eating and drinking - it's very easy to do, everything has a label. If you are also concerned with fitness, then the content of your food also becomes more important as you need to make less go further.
I don't recommend following anyone else's hard rules on this since your body is entirely its own creature, but I would not advise you to consume less than 12-1300 calories a day and not more than, say, 17-1800. If you're only 100 or 200 off your daily usage of energy then weight loss will be very slow and you're likely to end up slacking and forgetting. Less than 1200 calories a day has a major impact on your body in ways you would wish to avoid and may be counterproductive. Your personal numbers may vary considerably. It's a very rough science.

It goes against popular belief but diet is both the primary component in fitness and potentially the hardest factor to effect large changes to. However, I think 400 calories is easier lost in a few snacks than 400 calories' worth of exercise; exercise burns calories, sure, but I think people overestimate its effect, and also underestimate their consumption. Furthermore it is harder to lose weight while pursuing a substantial fitness regime; your body has more complex requirements and will fight you. That's just that. I do not think trying to build muscle or maintain a great deal of it, and lose weight at the same time is realistic but I think you've figured that out already; it's probably better to focus on losing superfluous flab first.

In my opinion it is difficult to get, say, 1500 calories a day in three satisfying meals without a great deal of effort, which I don't like. If you're used to two at times, make do with two.. Snacks need to go, sorry. Generic snack foods are atrocious for calorie content. The calorie content in drinks, alcoholic or not, also really adds up. Two good meals a day can fairly easily be 1200 calories or less; figure out what you have space for after that and make your own calls on whether you want to eat a little more.
Your body will need to adapt to your new reduced food intake. The first days will be the hardest; you'll get withdrawal symptoms. Your body will hate you, because you've disturbed its comfy balance. It's a bitch and needs to shut up and deal with it. As the new diet sets in, your body will adapt to it and stop complaining as it settles into a new balance. Whatever you do, though, make it consistent. Your body, with adjustment time, can cope fine with being in -1000 calorie a day deficit, as long as you're otherwise taking care of it and not giving it reason to think you're trying to kill it. You will feel hungry for the food you're not eating. Then after a while you won't anymore.

Of course, there is the option of not making substantial dietary changes, but the calorie in-calorie out formula applies regardless. What isn't lost in food has to be lost in increased exercise and really I think it's the worse and more difficult option to put most of your focus on exercise over diet at this point.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts