Personality Cafe banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
I've been going back and forth between ENTP and super unhealthy ISFJ shadow for a couple of weeks now. I seem to do this every Spring. Such a vile, vile season :(

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
This is interesting, do you see this as a negative thing?

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
Registered
4,059 Posts
The inner isfj comes in when ENTP is under a lot of pressure. As I'm sure negative characteristics of ENTP come out when ISFJs are under pressure. It isn't a pleasant feeling to be under so much stress and pressure that you start becoming sensitive to every little detail around you. Traffic is annoying, this guy is a dick, etc. etc. Meanwhile, a cold word, a glance in just a single way, stings to your very core.

It's nothing against ISFJs. It's simply these functions are very unpleasant for an ENTP.

For me it happens when I'm overworked and super tired.

·
Registered
545 Posts
That's definetly me when I'm really stressed and depressed.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Personally speaking, no and yes. My ISFJ shadow (which is very, very, very unhealthy ISFJ mimicry going on) has convinced me that everyone is out to get me or everyone is looking at me funny so they must hate me. And I've cried 11 times in the past 3 days. The great part, though, is that my closet is color coordinated again and my sock drawer is organized.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
No, I've never experienced it. But this sounds interesting.

Reactions: Ntuitive

·
decorum worshiper
8,993 Posts
It is a negative thing. It's not acting like/being an ISFJ that's the negative thing, it's being in the stressful situation that brings out your shadow that's negative. It would be the same for an INTP acting like an ESFJ or and ISFJ acting like an ENTP, it's just not what comes natural.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How would you describe your ISFJ shadow?

I have been going through a rough patch since adolescence. My theory comes down to weak Fe. Before adolescence I ignored Fe and acted however I felt like acting. This resulted in extreme pain, in the form of other people getting mad at me. As a result, I retreated into an ISFJ shadow in which I am now hyper aware of Fe norms... but I am not an ISFJ, so I STILL DO NOT KNOW HOW TO NAVIGATE FE.

I wind up thinking about Fe all day... I try to use Ti to understand it, but really, that doesn't work at all. I feel like everyone is watching me, waiting for me to fuck up with Fe... and I don't know what to do about it! I keep analyzing analyzing analyzing...

I am dead silent, too.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
Fe requires external input validation. It's a judging/structured function, not a free-flow one like Ne.

Shadow-mode: I don't feel like doing anything... I feel like I'm hyper-aware of my body (I don't mind this much, I like to know what's going on with it)... I don't feel like saying much. I have a generally negative or pessimistic attitude toward everything

If shadow mode happens when i'm emotionally distressed, I just keep thinking about the situation and what upset me. but it's weird, it's like during those times i can only think of little details of the story or picture... I can't put it all together or get over it.

I also might have a hard time processing information, but be very good at remembering it.

·
Registered
498 Posts
As an ISFJ, this is fascinating to hear. What really intrigues me, though, is that it seems to be a seasonal thing. Since the shadow of ISFJ is ENTP, I've definitely acquired some negative ENTP traits under stress, but it's never been seasonal...
I wish I knew why, but this happens every Spring for me (for as long as I can remember). It might be a form of SAD (seasonal affective disorder, which is more common for winter), but I dunno about that since this doesn't last for the entire duration of the season. All I know is that for a month or two, I turn into a heaping pile of sad and "everybody hates me" and then I snap out of it. This year it came early, due to a few deaths of family friends all in one week, paired off with work related stress. Last year I don't remember what triggered it, but I was sincerely ready to submit myself to a mental institution.

·
Banned
1,857 Posts
I wish I knew why, but this happens every Spring for me (for as long as I can remember). It might be a form of SAD (seasonal affective disorder, which is more common for winter), but I dunno about that since this doesn't last for the entire duration of the season. All I know is that for a month or two, I turn into a heaping pile of sad and "everybody hates me" and then I snap out of it. This year it came early, due to a few deaths of family friends all in one week, paired off with work related stress. Last year I don't remember what triggered it, but I was sincerely ready to submit myself to a mental institution.
Not for a month or two, but this happens to me every now and then for maybe a few days. under stress, though

·
Registered
283 Posts
Oldlady:2406975 said:
I wind up thinking about Fe all day... I try to use Ti to understand it, but really, that doesn't work at all. I feel like everyone is watching me, waiting for me to fuck up with Fe... and I don't know what to do about it! I keep analyzing analyzing...
I'm realizing that I need to stop over analyzing feelings; it's just not productive -- unless feeling (haha) like your brain is going to explode becomes my new standard for productivity. When I overanalyze and fester in negative emitions, I always stress about whether or not what feel is "correct", that everyone is out to get, I can't take criticsm (but I can dole it out like nagging, hypocritical pro). It really is disgusting. But I'm finding, through very painful and humbling trial & error, that talking about what I'm feeling helps (to another person & not just myself); not all-the-hurt-feelings-that-I've-ever-experienced-ever, but whatever emotions I felt immeadiately after/during the incident and before I begin to overanalyze. I'm finding that when I do this the pain, irritation, and/or frustration that I'm feeling becomes very understandable (i think it's because Ne & Ti decide to work together again) and I take steps to end up dealing with whatever hurt my feelings or made me angry.

And when I'm sane I use Fe to understand what social interactions people are comfortable or uncomfortable with, what makes them happy or sad, etc. I use Fe -- combo-ed with Ne & Ti -- to understand other people, if I try it with myself (does that even make sense b/c Fe is an extroverted function?) it confuses me.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
And when I'm sane I use Fe to understand what social interactions people are comfortable or uncomfortable with, what makes them happy or sad, etc. I use Fe -- combo-ed with Ne & Ti -- to understand other people, if I try it with myself (does that even make sense b/c Fe is an extroverted function?) it confuses me.
LOL I believe when trying to do that for yourself it'd be more of Fi... which is our 7th function, and something that usually isn't very developed in us, so it makes sense that it's confusing to you. I, too, struggle with this, and find it unbelievably frustrating that I can help others effortlessly, but when I try to help myself I don't even know where to begin.

@Onomatopoeia: ISFJ's order is exactly opposite the ENTP — Si, Fe, Ti, Ne, so I'd say you're pretty spot on.

As for me, I can definitely find myself in my shadow when I am stressed, but even moreso when I'm depressed. I seem to focus on past events/conversations, analyze them to death, and wonder if I've offended or pushed someone away. Then negative Ne will jump in and start listing all the possibilities for why something has (or hasn't, as the case usually is) happened. I can analyze it to death, but I can't actually come to any useful conclusion. Luckily, I've gotten much better at recognizing when I'm just telling myself stories and filling in the blanks with information I really don't have, so I tend to stay in that mode less and less these days. I still "enjoy" filling in the blanks, but I try to remind myself that they are just guesses, and without all the information I can't be truly sure. Oh, and I also have to remind myself that other's decisions usually don't revolve around me — because I tend to get negative and assume I've done something wrong, when there are a plethora of other reasons for why someone could do (or not do) something.

·
Registered
4,550 Posts
ok so what would negative ENTP traits be? so i can look out for them

·
Registered
498 Posts
ok so what would negative ENTP traits be? so i can look out for them
I've actually been wondering lately what it's like for an ISFJ to turn to their ENTP shadow when stressed. I thought the same thing as @Sporadic Aura about narcissism and inflated ego. Maybe over analyzing things in a harsh manner (thus coming across as cold) or being oblivious to surroundings, too.
Edit to add: You might also find yourself in situations where you think you're having a friendly discussion, and everyone around you thinks you're arguing or in a heated debate.

@teddy564339 You know, I'm calling Teddy in here to shed some light on this one. :)

1 - 20 of 52 Posts