Personality Cafe banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
List the reasons you can think of why formalized study is a challenge for you.

The reasons why it's a walk in the park, if it is, even at times would also be useful.

Procrastination is a given, not just for INTPs, but for many other types so I think we can take that off the table.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wouldn't call it challenge, more of 'place that is not what is supposed to be'.

I had issues with following:

Students that are not even capable of grasping thoughts presented in Sophist, yet if they learn to quote notes from classes they can score A.
The whole set of pedagogy professors presenting new methods of teaching; verbally throwing stones at old school teaching with the belief they know what is best for students. Now, there are many details behind this agenda, but this probably isn't the best place to list them all. In my mind however, what they are trying to do, and even if they are not aware of consequences their methods will have on generation taught/raised this way, regardless - they are creating army of economists, lawyers, fluffy educators, pr managers and other communicologists. This is not the world I want to live in and I refuse to be part of it's creation.
Academics that have over 25 years of experience, yet they are not familiar with terms like: subculture, digression etc.

Pedagogy professors that pay much more attention to how you formatted your papers, rather than the content of it. Of course you cannot submit academic research Comic Sans font, but if one line that was supposed to be bolded, is not, i doubt that makes it unreadable.
Pedagogy professors that find themselves personally offended if you miss their lecture.
Pedagogy professors that put own pictures in slideshows and tell stories about their experiences from childhood as examples, pointing out how epic they were when in reality it is barely related to subject of lecture and not that epic at all.

When they teach you not to ask closed-questions, yet they ask the whole class: 'was I good teacher this semester?' and yes, they wait for someone to publicly give them feedback.
When they ask you how you feel about something.
When they make you sit in circle/round tables.(95% of pedagogy classes are designed so you sit in circles) :unsure:

This rant could go on and on, I obviously had bad experiences and it's all thanks to pedagogy section, complaints about philosophy sec. would be so small when compared to those, that they could easily be disregarded.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Challenge: You need to memorize all of it because later you'll be tested and graded. It's not really my style. Learning is not my end game, but more of a stepping stone for me. I don't like specialization.

Walk in the park: It may be a drag but at least it's easy. I have never in my life had a hard time comprehending.

Challenge: Then again you need to actually sit down and study.

Walk in the park: If it's differential equations, it's very fun. I'm like Raito going on a deathnote rampage. Solved, solved, solved, solved. No mindless memorizing, more creative.

PS:

Reactions: Sino425

·
Registered
794 Posts
I didn't have much of a problem with High School except for math and chemistry because I suck at math. If all I had to do was be lectured and listen and take notes then I would be a wizard. Thats why I like English and history. All I had to do was sit and listen with the occasional question.

This is why college isn't really my thing. I actually have to do things myself:unsure:

·
Registered
856 Posts
I get bored of stuff if I know I understand it and I'm intimidated by things that I don't understand. Revision for me consists of, "Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know this, this is easy, yeah, ARGH DAFUQ IS THAT?, yeah, that's fine..."

I think of understanding as binary. I know it or I don't.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
There is a brick wall between me and schoolwork. I don't know who the hell put it there, but it's there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I struggle with subjects I don't care about being mandatory.
I'd be better off with no Geography and more Biology, which is something I'm actually interested in and will actually be useful in what I'm gonna do in uni.
I'm so glad this is my last year in school

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My math teacher insists that we copy explanations from the textbook word for word.
It's boring and doesn't lead to understanding for me. Monotony like that is tough.

I have trouble with deadlines when I'm not either a bit afraid or hugely respectful of the teacher.

Group assignments can be tough.

I like thinking too much and memorizing/practising too little for the average classroom expectations. It helps to be in a gifted class, though.

Reactions: Ista

·
Registered
231 Posts
Challenge: Forgetting Lab book for physics and running across campus to get it, then being too exhausted to catch up after being 10 minutes late

The Good: Finding an intelligent professor who will have an intellectual debate on the spot

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wouldn't call it challenge, more of 'place that is not what is supposed to be'.

I had issues with following:

Students that are not even capable of grasping thoughts presented in Sophist, yet if they learn to quote notes from classes they can score A.
The whole set of pedagogy professors presenting new methods of teaching; verbally throwing stones at old school teaching with the belief they know what is best for students. Now, there are many details behind this agenda, but this probably isn't the best place to list them all. In my mind however, what they are trying to do, and even if they are not aware of consequences their methods will have on generation taught/raised this way, regardless - they are creating army of economists, lawyers, fluffy educators, pr managers and other communicologists. This is not the world I want to live in and I refuse to be part of it's creation.
Academics that have over 25 years of experience, yet they are not familiar with terms like: subculture, digression etc.

Pedagogy professors that pay much more attention to how you formatted your papers, rather than the content of it. Of course you cannot submit academic research Comic Sans font, but if one line that was supposed to be bolded, is not, i doubt that makes it unreadable.
Pedagogy professors that find themselves personally offended if you miss their lecture.
Pedagogy professors that put own pictures in slideshows and tell stories about their experiences from childhood as examples, pointing out how epic they were when in reality it is barely related to subject of lecture and not that epic at all.

When they teach you not to ask closed-questions, yet they ask the whole class: 'was I good teacher this semester?' and yes, they wait for someone to publicly give them feedback.
When they ask you how you feel about something.
When they make you sit in circle/round tables.(95% of pedagogy classes are designed so you sit in circles) :unsure:

This rant could go on and on, I obviously had bad experiences and it's all thanks to pedagogy section, complaints about philosophy sec. would be so small when compared to those, that they could easily be disregarded.
All of this. While I'm only in high school, I understand a lot of the feelings here. Teaching today is being geared towards interpersonal relationships, environmental and cultural appreciation, crap like that. We can do without the "personal connections" questions, thank you very much. Nor do they want to know how smart you are- they want to know how well you can memorize and conjure up meaningless but fancy-sounding phrases.

I wrote an essay for English last term, purposefully misquoting and using what I consider "fluff". As an experiment. One of the best marks I ever got, and it enraged me beyond belief. Basically, teachers aren't usually trying to teach the INTPs. They're trying to teach the majority, and the majority of students are very nearly our opposites. Therefore the system is not usually for us.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts