Personality Cafe banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I could probably look up different methods for studying on the internet somewhere but I'd like to know how INFJ's (and how different types) study. I'm curious about whether certain methods work better for different types when they study so if you guys don't mind, I have a few questions:

• What are your methods of studying? How do you guys like to study?
  • Do you listen to music or is it better to embrace silence in your studies? (If you listen to music, what kind of music do you listen to?)
  • How do you stay motivated? (Who/What inspires you? Do you have any mantra/sayings? Do you pray? Etc)
  • What have you found is the best way to retain information?

Please note: Any type is welcome to answer!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm just going to list all my methods. Active college student here, being modest I am fairly comfortable in college. The lower the number, the more I do it.

0. All of my below methods involve spending some time to create a comprehensive outline and a study guide which I condense as MUCH as possible. I am a strong N to a fault, details do not stick with me alone. I will remember all* the details simply by remembering the overarching categories.

*Given I have enough time, (some detail oriented tests I have to sit and try to recall information using time)

1. Long-Term Procrastination Style

This involves reading a book, watching a tv show or movie, playing a game, in a car, at a restaurant, and using repetition. Every half hour or so, every commercial break, ect, scim over all of your notes and recite the material mentally. Using this method, you will never have to actually study done properly for most less-intensive classes.

2. Cram method

I only do this for classes that I enjoy a lot and in turn I find very easy since it is so interesting. (It is worth noting that I very actively participate and focus entirely on the lecture in class.) I will plan 5-6 hours free time before the upcoming test. And listen to music without vocals, I enjoy upbeat piano. I am ALWAYS alone for this - group studying is crap. Most people don't understand what it means to actually study together.

I listen to Touhou - major Japanese sub-culture. (Most are upbeat, some aren't)

3. Group studying

I only do this after I have already reviewed all of the material well. What it normally comes down to, is that I end up teaching and reviewing for the other people and clarifying things for them. It helps solidify material and forces me to think of material in new ways.

Flashcards

This is for classes like GenBio, GenChem, where I am forced to memorize massive amounts of vocab. (150+ per test) and I have to deal with many fill in the blanks. As a strong N user (to a fault), I am forced to spend massive amounts of time preparing for these tests. I basically have to practice and recite till I know this forwards and backwards. Fill in the blanks and detail oriented tests (Where you must recall every single detail or you lose points) are my weakness. A fill in the blank asks if you can recall what something is from the details. Which is ground up (S), while what I prefer is top down (N).

·
Registered
510 Posts
  • What are your methods of studying? How do you guys like to study?

You go over those notes you've taken in class, try to understand first the underlying concept of the topic, and move on to the specific cases that exemplify the topic. In terms of quantitatively solvable topics (mathematics & sciences), you then go on to solve numerous problems to solidify your application. (I think everyone knows this, yet it's hard to put into practice.)

• Do you listen to music or is it better to embrace silence in your studies? (If you listen to music, what kind of music do you listen to?)

No; I personally don't. Music distracts me and I like to study in utter silence or listen to very calm and non-verbal music (usually classical or soft jazz, very low volume; lyrical music is addictive to ears and paves a habit in your mind to constantly want to hear something spoken; and you probably will be distracted if it contains lots of words and strong feelings.)

.​

• How do you stay motivated? (Who/What inspires you? Do you have any mantra/sayings? Do you pray? Etc)

This is the most difficult part of studying; so what I suggest you develop is a habit that you start studying first, regardless of motivation. You will notice that once you start studying, the part of you that wants to understand the world (curiosity of the topic) will take over, you will be motivated to study, and indeed end up studying.

• What have you found is the best way to retain information?

Writing is one of the best method I've found; when you summarize the topic and write it down, your mind recapitulates the topic, constructing sentences/conclusions (thinking); you hand carries out the writing ("your hand remembers;" kinetic motion memory); and while you're writing you subconscious speak the sentence to yourself (auditory); and finally your eyes see what you're writing (visual).

This solidifies your understanding very nicely for future references and gives your mind a clear structure of the topic. (Thus, a good way to practice is taking a notes on your notes that you've taken in class: note taking twice, or thrice if needs be.)

·
I love my everything
10,949 Posts
Intp here.
I have worked out a study method that I now use for everything. I read over my notes in my notebook and write down whatever I want to remember on a separate sheet like an outline/ study sheet. I also always use red pen, which helps. I'm actually studying right now, so I included a picture. Note how I wrote down equations and specific vocabulary that I wanted to remember.
After finishing, I read over these once, and I am good!

Music- I usually listen to just because it keeps me energized and in a good mood, which motivates me and makes studying fun. I actually don't mind studying anymore because it's completely up to you how you want to study (whereas hw is moreso assigned).

That said, I still don't study as much as a should.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Additionally, on the matter of motivating yourself, may I suggest a method that may work very well for some people. Assuming that you're a young lady who happens to likes guys, imagine your future husband in your head. He can be a very typical person, typical looking with typical attitude and a mediocre outlook in life.

When you are slacking off, your future husband becomes less and less to your liking. The more you become lazy, the more he becomes lazy. He is getting less proactive, less charismatic. He is becoming inapt, needy, clingy, and nasty; he is becoming poorer in terms of personal hygiene (Disclaimer: no offense to people who are like that; I'm speaking in generalities). This is not looking good for you; but this would have been prevented if you studied a little more and kept on improving yourself as well.

So you start studying, and what happens? Your future husband changes little by little. Maybe he is getting a bit taller to your liking (maybe tall and dark?); his body more well-maintained and possibly a bit "hotter;" his face is getting more handsome; he is slowly becoming more intelligent, funny, charismatic (but also cutely shy at times), and compassionate. He gets to a point where his a very good person for you to have life together; the one who you can't help but admire.

It's all up to you; I mean, if you slack off, don't you think it's only fair you get exactly what you deserve? Exceptional people often have no business mingling with... "less favorable" people (I don't mean this in elitist/classist way; people in mid-upper class did work very diligently and honestly to get where they are). If you go, run a good run, and become a sought-after person yourself, there is no barrier for you to have meaningful relationships with people who are ready to embrace life as you are.

(So, go study! Run a good run.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I used to procrastinate--I could pull off good work the night before. Now I don't anymore, mostly because of stress in other areas of my life (hello, work :) :) )...I don't like having things hanging over me, so I usually get my work done well ahead of time these days. It'll be interesting to see if I go back to procrastinating once I'm a full time student and don't have to deal with running a business anymore.

I can't listen to music while I study. I get overstimulated so easily. Occasionally, very occasionally, I can listen to some mellow instrumental music (usually classical, sometimes something new agey) played at a low volume but usually I turn it off after 20-30 minutes because I still find it distracting--especially if I am reading. It works out better if I am writing a paper. Still, I prefer silence since too much coming in through my senses shuts me down quick.

I have no trouble staying motivated... and I'm not sure why. My dad was/is a college professor though. I was always rewarded (through praise and sometimes privileges like money or doing something I wanted to do) for good grades. I haven't gotten a final quarter/semester grade lower than an A in over 8 years. I guess my GPA is a concern/motivation, since I want to be able to go somewhere super kickass for my Masters. But I honestly don't think about it much. I think it's a point of pride, maybe, more than anything. I don't commit to much stuff, and when I do (like a class, a job, or a boyfriend), I do it 100%; I will move heaven and earth to turn my assignments in on time (or make it to work on time, or be early when picking up my boyfriend from an appointment, etc) regardless of health, family emergencies, my state of mind, making sacrifices on the fun front. It's actually almost sick, the way I prioritize schoolwork (and my job) over things that would probably make me healthier and happier in the long run but there you have it. Schoolwork comes easily to me but sometimes I still need to chill out.

And I just retain information. I don't know. I'm really lucky that way. I read something and it goes in my head and stays there. I hate it when teachers want us to watch videos or listen to things because my mind wanders; reading engages me fully, but when I have to watch a video I get distracted and have to constantly rewind. As far as a study strategy... I always read the textbook/Powerpoint/whatever the teacher has. Before a quiz or test, I skim over it and spend extra time on something if I don't remember it.

·
Registered
INFJ ♀ 2w1 || 9w1 || 5w4 Sp/Sx Decadent.
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Additionally, on the matter of motivating yourself, may I suggest a method that may work very well for some people. Assuming that you're a young lady who happens to likes guys, imagine your future husband in your head. He can be a very typical person, typical looking with typical attitude and a mediocre outlook in life.

When you are slacking off, your future husband becomes less and less to your liking. The more you become lazy, the more he becomes lazy. He is getting less proactive, less charismatic. He is becoming inapt, needy, clingy, and nasty; he is becoming poorer in terms of personal hygiene (Disclaimer: no offense to people who are like that; I'm speaking in generalities). This is not looking good for you; but this would have been prevented if you studied a little more and kept on improving yourself as well.

So you start studying, and what happens? Your future husband changes little by little. Maybe he is getting a bit taller to your liking (maybe tall and dark?); his body more well-maintained and possibly a bit "hotter;" his face is getting more handsome; he is slowly becoming more intelligent, funny, charismatic (but also cutely shy at times), and compassionate. He gets to a point where his a very good person for you to have life together; the one who you can't help but admire.

It's all up to you; I mean, if you slack off, don't you think it's only fair you get exactly what you deserve? Exceptional people often have no business mingling with... "less favorable" people (I don't mean this in elitist/classist way; people in mid-upper class did work very diligently and honestly to get where they are). If you go, run a good run, and become a sought-after person yourself, there is no barrier for you to have meaningful relationships with people who are ready to embrace life as you are.

(So, go study! Run a good run.)
That's an interesting method of motivation. I like it but if I tried it myself, I'd have to think about it after I've done my work or I might end up distracting myself thinking about hot guys xD

My friend knows someone who stays motivated by putting cookies on their desk and for every hour of work they get done, they reward themselves with a cookie. Sounds like a pretty good way to get some work done if you ask me >u>

Thank you though! Very good method, I'll definitely give it a try myself sometimes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts