Personality Cafe banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, so let's start from the beginning of the day. My dog had some digestive issues and ended up having accidents all over the upper level of our house. I had to get up fro play practice at 7 (this was Saturday), and so I just stepped over them, wanting to get there on time. My mom ended up cleaning them up, and because of this, her back started to hurt.

When I got down stairs to grab some quick food, she started yelling at me for being such slob all the time, then she sort of threw a fit because it hurt her back badly to tie her shoes and she felt frustrated I suppose. So then, we picked my friends up, she dropped us off at play practice blah blah blah, life goes on.

So then, after play practice we go to some shoe store because she doesn't like how ratty my converse sneaks are getting, and wants me to get new shoes. I wanted boots; she thought it was for the best. So we found these boots that I liked, but she sort of talked me into getting them saying "who cares what anyone thinks" because the boots are a bit pirate-ish (see thumbnails). She does this a lot, this talking me into buying things that I'm not sure if I like or not.

Anyway, I got home and she told me to show my dad, and he said that they looked like either pirate boots or with the cuffs unrolled hooker boots(basically telling me not to wear them, they look ridiculous, people will make fun of you), and for some reason this offended me greatly. I started crying (not sobbing, just silent tears, trying to control my damned emotions).

Not sure if it's just my period, adolescence or the emotionally charged day I had, but I don't see why I had to start crying, and I don't want to turn into that emotional little teenager. Ugh. Can someone provide any insight?

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Not sure I'm qualified to to advise being I'm not female, and my teen years are but a distant memory. I do have a preteen daugther (I showed her your boots and she said they looked like pirate boots) so I could understand your dad wanting to protect you but in this case I don't see anything wrong with the boots if you really like them. Respect your parents but don't worry about people making fun of you, you will learn if you haven't all ready that most people should not be allowed to reproduce much less make fashion judgements. As for the crying I'll let the female INTPs weigh in on that one.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sometimes emotions lodge manifest themselves physically. It's far healthier to get them out by crying than to stuff it back in.

Also, if you're going to look like a pirate, then you'll look like a pirate. Who the fuck cares as long as you like them. And if you don't like them, don't wear them.

·
Registered
ENTP
821 Posts
I like them.

I can be emotional sometimes and I was as a teenager. I don't see anything wrong with crying.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I actually distrust people who say they never cry. LOL

But I don't think there's anything wrong with your boots at all, if you like them then you should wear them. And about your mum trying to talk you into buying stuff you're not sure about, my mother also does that with my sister because my sister's really slow in deciding what to buy... so my mother just tries to get out of there as fast as possible by getting my sister to make a fast choice. If your mother does this again you should tell her that you don't want to buy it because you're not sure whether you like it... and if she even doesn't stop doing it after you've said that, then it might be a good idea to start buying clothes on your own or with some friends who don't try to force you into buying stuff all the time.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I've developed the habit (since yesterday) of punching the fuck out of walls when emotions flare. I'd rather deal with physical pain than emotional, and punching walls certainly makes the physical pain more prominent, provided you do it right.

I have one cut and three sore knuckles, and I'm not done yet. :wink:

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'm a teenage, female INTP too! Let me help!

Crying. Of course, hormones might have something to do with it, but you ARE only human. Humans have emotions! INTPs have emotions! HONEST!

If you don't usually cry in situations like that, it probably means you've been really stressed and your dad's comment has just triggered the explosion. My advice would be to get out a notepad and a pen and write about it. Posting here probably helped destress you a little. You probably felt better having vented. Well, if you vent some more, you'll feel even better and you might even figure out what's gone so horribly wrong that you had to cry.

Oh, and don't be ashamed about crying or displaying emotion. It's perfectly natural and it doesn't make you any less of an awesome INTP. You're not going to become an 'emotional little teenager'. You know too much.
:wink:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I doubt you'll become an emotional little teen or anything. Giving it all too much of a story will be the bane of a healthy ego. Also, if anyone tries to psychoanalyze this, including yourself, get them to shut up. The boots are fine by the way. Wear whatever the hell you want. People like crazy shit these days anyways.

Hell, most people I know would take looking like a pirate as a compliment. Pirates are great!:tongue:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Its not really about the boots, they're just symbolic of you feeling powerless and having no control.
You resent your Moms manipulation and persuasion, and your dad's remarks kinda stung because you felt weak that you'd been manipulated into getting something that , when pointed out to you were comical or sluttsh (another opinion, your dad's rather than yours) the thought of being weak willed and powerless made you cry, understanbably.
Its ok, every older teenager finds that time in life when Mom or dad's or any other close adults opinion becomes an interferance in what you want to decide for yourself. Its called maturing and getting a mind of your own. Its a bit of a bumpy transition, and there will be disagreements and tears until you get practiced at making your own opinions and will clear, without getting upset or cofrontational about it.
Now that you know you are starting to be independant in thought, use that great T mind you have to make your wishes known clearly and logically.
Its ok, to say no, even to Mom's.. they eventually start letting go the apron srings eventually, bit by bit, when they see that youre making good choices.
Good luck :) x

·
Registered
211 Posts
I've developed the habit (since yesterday) of punching the fuck out of walls when emotions flare.
Note to self: Do not let emotionally distressed male INTPs to your freshly renovated apartment.

As to the matter in hand:

What you feel is normal. We are not robots and at times we experience negative emotions that we usually bottle up. The bottled up emotions have the tendency to spill over after some time in uncontrollable bursts. The bursts can be triggered by really small, insignificant events that would otherwise leave us cold.

If you feel like crying, go ahead and do it. Don't be ashamed. It's a physiological reaction, like sweating or peeing :tongue:. You might find it embarassing, but you need to get rid of the damn thing somehow, don't you?

Btw, hormones can turn you into a completely different person. It's truly amazing how these little bitches mess with your head. If you start taking the pills, you will see this with brilliant clarity. Messing up with the progesterone and estrogen levels can turn a little buddha into a big fat barrel of crazy.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I've developed the habit (since yesterday) of punching the fuck out of walls when emotions flare. I'd rather deal with physical pain than emotional, and punching walls certainly makes the physical pain more prominent, provided you do it right.

Automutilation, THE answer to all your emotional problems! :crazy:

·
Banned
3,653 Posts

My knuckles are scarred from punching things as a teen.
And I don't recommend this to the OP. haha

·
Banned
3,653 Posts
As for the OP, I can't help out much because I'm not female.
I don't know what it's like for an INTP to cry like that. I usually distrust my own emotions and do not like to display them.
When I do display them, I feel weak and embarrassed, but that's just me.

I personally think your parents are a-holes, especially your mom.
A kid should dress however they feel like dressing.
In fact, I wouldn't mind wearing a damn cape!!! and I'm 23. society sucks.
I'd have a long beard and a robe and not really give a damn what people think.
Expression is key. Tell your parents to piss off and fight for your autonomy.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I think maybe your dad's comments on the boots triggered emotions you've had bottled up for a while, pre-boots. I don't think you were crying because of boots. Don't worry about it... it's natural to cry once in a while. You're certainly not an overly emotional teenager, you're human.

That wasn't very insightful, I mostly just wanted to say that I think those are very groovy boots.

(edit): I went back and read previous posts and realized I've just unknowingly regurgitated feefafo's words. Heh. Well, uh, carry on... :)

·
Registered
224 Posts
A kid should dress however they feel like dressing.
In fact, I wouldn't mind wearing a damn cape!!! and I'm 23. society sucks.
I'd have a long beard and a robe and not really give a damn what people think.
Expression is key. Tell your parents to piss off and fight for your autonomy.
Dumbledore, at age 23.

Sorry, couldn't resist.

(not actually that sorry)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Butbutbut pirate boots are sexy. :(

Everyone gets that sometimes. Personally I'd burst into tears, and Pickup the furniture and Fling them.

Which is why I get smacked by my parents when I'm angry.

If you're still able to control your tears, I recommend rolling around in bed while locked in your room; if not, venting in any fashion (violent/non-violent) is the best way to go.

But I'm mad, so don't listen to me.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Not sure if it's just my period, adolescence or the emotionally charged day I had, but I don't see why I had to start crying, and I don't want to turn into that emotional little teenager. Ugh. Can someone provide any insight?
Probably all of the above. Forgive yourself for feeling and expressing emotions. You had a crummy day and it's that time of the month. Little things can trigger big feelings when you're stressed. Since you know that hormones can have mind-altering effects, you can shrug it off as a temporary malaise and don't worry that you feel more vulnerable than usual. It is good to allow yourself to cry once in awhile since stress is shed with your tears. You're not turning into "that emotional little teenager." You're trying to analyze and suppress your emotions- an INTP-like thing to do. Emotions cannot be entirely suppressed. I've cried and punched walls, but it gets easier.

Btw, I like your pirate boots.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
a) I want. Those boots. I have an unhealthy obsession with boots.

b) Your father sounds like my stepfather. Listen to your mother on this one - no one really takes you as seriously as you take yourself. Wear things either proudly or DGAF-ly, it's an expression of who you are - and I know as an NT that sounds gay, but how else would you perceive it? They're just clothes? Yeah, they're just clothes - but something about you made you choose them. Ipso facto (or theorem?), expression of the self. Or whatever, they're an awesome pair of boots.

b.1) Tell your mother if she interferes with what you should to buy next time that it'd be her money going to waste (or yours, and you'd have more important things to buy; be assertive about it).

c) Periods are the devil incarnate. Not only is your uterus overtaken by Satan, but little demons of irrationality and irritability creep your mind and scratch until they wear you out into a sensitive, emotional female dog. Perfectly normal, perfectly evil. This is much worse when something goes awry.

d) Every teenager, girl, old lady at the front porch, guy smoking a pipe - every human being is entitled to emotional outbursts. Don't ever suppress it; only when it leads to someone else being hurt by something you do or say should you attempt to change your attitude, but regular bits of so-called "emotional weakness" are healthy. Emotions are actually very frustrating - I mean - fascinating.

e) Five years from now, this will be inconsequential, and anecdotal.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts