Personality Cafe banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. What does it mean to have balanced wings? I'm really curious about this because I haven't seen a lot of text on it.

2. Could it mean that there's like a "switch" where one can go from one wing to the other?

3. If someone has balanced wings, does that mean they'll show equal traits of both types?

4. Are there any correlations between instinctual variants and wings? For example, is there a greater likelihood of a 6w5 to be sp first, or 6w7 to be so?

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
These are just my interpretations and I hold no professional credentials in Enneagram theory:

1. Balanced wings is a way to say that each wing is equally present within that person. For example, if someone has a core type of 1 and equal amounts of 9 and 2 then they would have balanced wings. Another way to imagine this is the other possibility beyond 1w9 and 1w2 where one knows there is more than just a 1ness to them.

2. No, each of us has all 9 types in us ultimately and thus we are all of the types and may choose when to use them.

3. Not necessarily, as not all types have equal levels of expression. For example, would one expect physical expressions for both a 9 and a 2? Those would be where my wings would be and I do tend to identify more with a 2 though. While if you could have a universal understanding you'd see how close each wing is in that person's make-up that isn't an easy view to have.

4. Not that I know.

·
Banned
318 Posts
1. What does it mean to have balanced wings? I'm really curious about this because I haven't seen a lot of text on it.
We have this tendency to use some of our traits from our adjacent wings, primarily because personality in itself has much more possibilities than your enneagram type. Think of the enneagram as a rough outline for a definite spectrum. We all are geared at least a little bit more towards one side than the other, though there are many further distinctions that might make somebody more precisely fit the description of that wing type over that of others.

2. Could it mean that there's like a "switch" where one can go from one wing to the other?
We can choose what we want to be like. Happening to be more like both means that you're mixing the characteristics together, not distinctly changing your main personality.

3. If someone has balanced wings, does that mean they'll show equal traits of both types?
The traits that you show will probably be unique. Most of the specific descriptions of wing types are based on observation, so being at a separate place on the spectrum will generally give you more unique differences. The problem is: how these types blend together don't come directly from the descriptions, and you need to be well versed in how the types connect in order to understand what traits you will take up.

4. Are there any correlations between instinctual variants and wings? For example, is there a greater likelihood of a 6w5 to be sp first, or 6w7 to be so?
Not really.

·
Banned
2,198 Posts
Actually, there is, most likely, a correlation between 8 wing in Sevens and Sx variant (according to timeless).

Reactions: SilentScream
1 - 6 of 6 Posts