Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here suffer from stuttering/stammering?

I recently had a telephone conversation with a guy with a fairly bad stammer, and ever since I accidentally took the piss out of one years ago (I was young, foolish and incredibly remorseful afterwards, I thought he was just tripping over his words, didn't realise he had a serious speech impediment :crying::crying::crying:) I have been very very careful and basically don't say a word - I let them finish.

But I was wondering if this was the best way? In the case of the telecon I had today, I think it was just simply nerves getting all of the information he needed to convey, across to me, as the stammer was much better at the end of the convo as we said goodbye.

Could anyone advise what really is the best way of holding a conversation with such? I am terrified of offending due to the past experience....

·
Banned
2,155 Posts
I dated a guy with a stutter. It never really bothered me. The key is patience. I just let him say whatever he had to say. If it appeared like he wasn't going to get it out, I let him know it's okay. But, he was pretty good-natured about it. I don't imagine that everyone is.

Reactions: honestfi
1 - 3 of 3 Posts