Personality Cafe banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey! So, I'm an outgoing, chatty introvert, however, I have a stutter, and I find that there are quite a few times in conversation that I want to say something, but know I'll stutter, so I refrain. And it sucks, because I want to speak up, and say that joke that comes to mind, or add something interesting to the conversation, or whatever, but hold back because I know I'll stutter. It doesn't stop me from doing things I want to do, I like acting, teaching, public speaking, etc. but it is frustrating, and tiring if its a bad day. And so sometimes I hold back. Though, I am an introvert, so people don't always expect me to keep talking, or maintain the conversation (though I've often wondered if the stutter makes me seem more introverted than I actually am ... because I do find myself getting a bit of a buzz from good conversation, though there are also times where lots of socializing, and highly stimulating environments wear me out and all I want to do is be alone for hours :p).

So, I was wondering if there are any extroverts out there who have a stutter, or had one, and what you do to deal with it? Since, I'd imagine you would run into situations like mine, where you want to contribute, but hold back. And I was also wondering if it would keep you from going out for some reason? And, if there's anything else you'd like to add, feel free!

·
Registered
10,962 Posts
Huh, I haven't met another stutterer for a long time, hello there! :laughing:

Well, I'm not exactly an extrovert (probably), but I deal with my stutter in quite a few ways, first off, being really animated while talking, since I've noticed that it's easier to talk while I'm walking or doing something else; secondly, I try to word my sentences in a way which makes them easier to say (coincidentally, making me absolutely abhor speeches and sentences where I have to say specific words, it's quite annoying. :dry: ); and finally, I've noticed that it's easier for me to talk faster, and go from stuttering my words out, to segueing into a different topic by pointing something out in the background. As for going out, well, I'm the odd exception that I've found, in that I suck at talking, thanks to the aforementioned stutter, but love taunting and trolling people with word games. :tongue:

Though I do find it a bit upsetting that you stop talking when you mess up, I get what it's like, hell, it happens to me too, though that does spare my family from my absolutely atrocious puns. :wink: And... yeah, that's it, hard to deal with, but not crippling. (Although, funny thing, I did get a disability exemption from paying for TAFE, so I guess there's one plus. :laughing: )

·
Registered
125 Posts
ESFP here.
I don't have the ordinary stutter-stutter, but rather a stutter that occurs when the words in my head stop coming. The word I'm looking for suddenly disappears and it's a huge problem. It's for the most part because I've been raised in a Chinese family speaking only Chinese, and my most used language is actually English since I communicate only in English on my computer (forums, games, instructions, videos, tv, movies, etc.). So basically, I think my German language skills are lacking, even though I've been raised and still live here.

I've only recently (1 year ago) "turned" ESFP from a heavily introverted ISTP.

The stutter is actually the main reason why I'm not as awesome as I know I could be :(
It makes conversations a whole lot harder and I feel like my social skills aren't that bad, it's just that they're useless since half way through my sentence I start to fuck up my words lol.
It's not even that I black out because I get nervous or anything, it's just that I can't find the word I'm looking for since my language skills are lacking, which is weird because the word that I was looking for will come up in my head 2 mins after the conversation.
Also, improving my German at this point seems like an impossible task, since I know every word and the correct grammar - since I've been raised here all my life - but they just won't occur when the timing is right.

I don't really have a "solution" for it and I'm trying really hard to find one, but for now I let my actions speak louder than my words. When in conversations, I focus on my gesture, body language, facial expressions and tonality rather than what words I say. Also, I do physical activities for example touching, dancing or doing random bullshit pranks to entertain my friends in favor of saying witty jokes or impress them with my conversational skills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts