Personality Cafe banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
not happened to me, but people should be careful, some online sites promises free removal tools to get rid of the Stuxnet virus, but actually wipes the harddrive out. Always check scripts lines

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Wow, a Pandora's box made entirely of code (as in, it's not possible to put its evils back in the box once it's opened).

All that's left now is who's the next one to be hit?

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,490 Posts
Personally, I think Stuxnet wasn't just created to destroy Iran's capability, but to provide an enduring cyber-security threat that will require governments to create elaborately intrusive cyber-security programs to deal with the problem.

After all in the United States, Present Obama has been going nonstop about cyber-security this, and cyber security that, and most all the initiatives place Cyber Command, which is a military command at the heart of cyber-defense. This is a problem because the military is not supposed to be performing domestic policing functions and for good reason. To make matters even worse than that, the same guy who heads Cyber-Command (General Keith Alexander) is the same guy who heads the NSA, and the Central Security Service (which integrates the NSA with the Service Cryptologic Elements of the US Armed Forces) which has had a notoriously bad record over the past several years for performing massive warrantless wiretapping (any phone call you made, any e-mail you sent and received, as well as IM's have pretty much been all intercepted by the NSA with the help of telecommunications companies).

Since 2006, an NSA official under condition of anonymity claimed that the NSA had an objective to archive every single phone-call ever made in the United States, this year an individual who actually played a role in creating the technology used has stated that he has reason to suspect the NSA is archiving every e-mail sent over the past few years, and finally a former NSA employee named J. Kirk Wieb has actually stated the following: I feel I'm living in the very country I worked for years to defeat: the Soviet Union. We're turning into a police state."

Effectively, at least 90% of the reason for these cyber-security initiatives are about giving the government broad-sweeping powers to perform massive autonomous surveillance and data-mining of American citizens, businesses the likes the world has never seen.

Over the past several years there have been a couple of prominent programs such as...
ADVISE
AQUAINT
...and currently under development
Perfect Citizen: which is particularly designed for Cyber security.

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange
- No matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep) :p
- Should I be arrested or framed for a criminal offense, or disappear entirely -- I think we all know who to blame for it ;)

·
Banned
2,116 Posts
Yah. I would not even put internet and mailing programs in a nuclear facility. -.-
The problem wasn't their being in the facility. It's the hooking them up to important things that caused all the problems.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Yep, the most powerfull firewall is a meter of thin air between the phoneline and the computer. Yet only effective antivirus is a keyboard and a ton of code pages in a paper.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally, I think Stuxnet wasn't just created to destroy Iran's capability, but to provide an enduring cyber-security threat that will require governments to create elaborately intrusive cyber-security programs to deal with the problem.

After all in the United States, Present Obama has been going nonstop about cyber-security this, and cyber security that, and most all the initiatives place Cyber Command, which is a military command at the heart of cyber-defense. This is a problem because the military is not supposed to be performing domestic policing functions and for good reason. To make matters even worse than that, the same guy who heads Cyber-Command (General Keith Alexander) is the same guy who heads the NSA, and the Central Security Service (which integrates the NSA with the Service Cryptologic Elements of the US Armed Forces) which has had a notoriously bad record over the past several years for performing massive warrantless wiretapping (any phone call you made, any e-mail you sent and received, as well as IM's have pretty much been all intercepted by the NSA with the help of telecommunications companies).

Since 2006, an NSA official under condition of anonymity claimed that the NSA had an objective to archive every single phone-call ever made in the United States, this year an individual who actually played a role in creating the technology used has stated that he has reason to suspect the NSA is archiving every e-mail sent over the past few years, and finally a former NSA employee named J. Kirk Wieb has actually stated the following: I feel I'm living in the very country I worked for years to defeat: the Soviet Union. We're turning into a police state."

Effectively, at least 90% of the reason for these cyber-security initiatives are about giving the government broad-sweeping powers to perform massive autonomous surveillance and data-mining of American citizens, businesses the likes the world has never seen.

Over the past several years there have been a couple of prominent programs such as...
ADVISE
AQUAINT
...and currently under development
Perfect Citizen: which is particularly designed for Cyber security.

That being said, I'd like to remind everybody in a manner reminiscent of the SNL bit on Julian Assange
- No matter how I die: It was murder (even if there was a suicide note or a video of me peacefully dying in my sleep) :p
- Should I be arrested or framed for a criminal offense, or disappear entirely -- I think we all know who to blame for it ;)

Thanks, that was rather well written and very informative.
However, I think whether or not Stuxnet was created for defensive purposes isn't really important now -- creators of the the A-bombs and the first largescale guns had similar excuses too. If it had indeed been the people you think with those intentions, then it's the same issue seeing that they leaked the code and made it a readily available weapon. And for all we know, the US Govt may have had both defense and sabotage in mind. (If I'm missing a point, attribute it to my not being American :p)

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,490 Posts
TheBeanie

Thanks, that was rather well written and very informative.
Thank you

However, I think whether or not Stuxnet was created for defensive purposes isn't really important now -- creators of the the A-bombs and the first largescale guns had similar excuses too.
Correct

If it had indeed been the people you think with those intentions, then it's the same issue seeing that they leaked the code and made it a readily available weapon. And for all we know, the US Govt may have had both defense and sabotage in mind. (If I'm missing a point, attribute it to my not being American :p)
Much simpler actually. The US government made the code public because that creates an enduring cyber security threat. It was the proverbial match that burns twice. It burned once in that it threw a serious monkey wrench into Iran's nuclear weapon's program; it burns twice in that it's now a threat that needs to be guarded against, and with it being open source, anybody could alter it and make it into an even newer deadlier weapon.

This means there's always a cyber security threat that has to be guarded against with ever more elaborate surveillance of ever greater intrusiveness. Never let a crisis go to waste, and should one not present itself, create your own.

It's a gift that just keeps on giving.

Reactions: TheBeanie

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
@RobynC

But I can't see what they might have to gain from a cyber crisis, presuming they were behind it and planned out the leakage. Since it's open source, it can be altered and used against them too. Would it not have been much safer for them if no one else got a share of the golden egg?
Unless you meant they did it to get a kick out of all the chaos.

·
Registered
Amateur Newscaster
11,490 Posts
TheBeanie

But I can't see what they might have to gain from a cyber crisis, presuming they were behind it and planned out the leakage.
Well, 9/11 was a crisis gave the government all sorts of power that they didn't have before. I'm not saying 9/11 was orchestrated by our government, but it was a disastrous crisis (a crisis can be opportunistically exploited, allowed to happen, orchestrated).

·
Registered
682 Posts
Windows in a nuclear plant?

You have to wonder how much of this is pure propaganda. Windows PCs hooked up to process control hardware in foreign nuclear facilities? I suppose the workers log on to Facebook while they're watching the centrifuges going round do they? Pulleeaze. The NSA had back doors in Windows in the early 80's and I can't see any reason why they wouldn't have them in Windows now. I'm sure Iranian computer scientists are aware of that. Windows has 0% penetration into the safety critical market and I'd class nuclear process control as safety critical, yes? Or do people really think that the centrifuges busily making weapons grade Uranium in a hundred US facilities are powered by f****n Windows 7 (or Vista, if they haven't upgraded LOL) ?

Reactions: RobynC

·
Registered
300 Posts
Prolly yes, with Allen Bradley SLC500 as a PLC :laughing:
There is no need to hook the actual process to windows machine or any other PC on that matter. The one reason the StuxNet did have the usb spreading ability were that it could infect the programming devices of the PLCs = Windows PCs that way, which are in many cases kept as a standalone machines.

I'm really satisfied that that worlds biggest nuclear reactor will have old fashion relay programmed safety system when it's ready.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts